Screen Freezing up

Computer Topics
Tubs

Screen Freezing up

Post by Tubs » Sat Dec 23, 2006 7:51 pm

Well this is actually not for me, but for goonybird. When flying in any view, the screen freezes, but sound continues for a few secs then stops, while screen stays frozen, after a while it starts back up, but he finds himself crashed into the ground. It is mostly random, but sometimes happens 2 or 3 times in a row. What should he do?!
Rhino

Post by Rhino » Sat Dec 23, 2006 8:01 pm

Graphics settings maybe too high for his computer/graphics card to handle. Try turning them down and see what happens after that.
Phantoms Phorever!
Tubs

Post by Tubs » Sat Dec 23, 2006 11:59 pm

He did no help, he tried tons of stuff....He said it stared after he changed motherboards, but this is the only game that does it?!
Tailhook
Virtual Thunderbird Alumnus

Post by Tailhook » Sun Dec 24, 2006 12:24 am

I told him its his motherboard and graphics card. We discussed this matter the other night....he said his friend put together his computer after he fried his graphics card. I told him he is looking towards a new motherboard because something is up with it.
goonybird

wit's end

Post by goonybird » Sun Dec 24, 2006 7:52 am

im the one who's having the problems :oops: ......

specs:
WindowsXP Pro
GIGABYTE GA-K8N-SLI, AMD Athlon64 3500+,
(2) 1gb A-DATA DDR 400 RAM,
EVGA 256mb GeForce 7800GT,
WestDig 74gb 10k Raptor, WestDig 250gb 7200,
Soundblaster Audigy2 Value

i have tried just about every soundcard, videocard, motherboard, harddisk, and power supply test i can find on the web (are they any good anyway????) and they have not come up with any problems.....
also:

-reinstalled LOMAC
-un-installed ModMan textures and ran on default
-graphics settings lowest all catagories
-removed TacView
-Dx diag - no problems
-adjusted the page file (as per Lockon.ru post)
-eliminated as many background programs as possible
-updated bios
-disabled the motherbord audio
-updated video drivers
-changed graphics config to "nv4_disp.dll" from the renderer dll
-attempted Pilotasso's (from Lockon.ru) regedit, but it wouldnt keep the settings
-disabled the antivirus i use
-insured the windows firewall and antivirus, and their automatic updates were deactivated
-scheduled tasks deactivated

.... if it is truely a hardware problem.....i'm out for the count indefinitely as far as LOMAC is concerned...my "finance officer" definitely won't put up with any more expenditures :cry: ....lol (*sigh)
Gunner
Virtual Thunderbird

Post by Gunner » Sun Dec 24, 2006 8:28 am

Your machine specs are high enough to run LOMAC without any problems...are you having this problem all the time, or just network play?
If it's just network play you are getting a burp in your connection maybe. Same thing has happened to a few of us I think, but rarely if you have a good connection.
goonybird

Post by goonybird » Sun Dec 24, 2006 8:40 am

this happen in single and multiplayer...randomly, and sometimes several times in a row
Rotorblade

Post by Rotorblade » Sun Dec 24, 2006 4:02 pm

If you had access to a second system with swappable parts maybe you could swap parts until the problem goes away. That or pay a shop to diagnose it since they may have a test system with parts. Either way it sounds like a tough one to troubleshoot without replacing one or a few parts at a time until it goes away.

Then you run the chance of what ever is happening possibly damaging the parts that are being swapped.

Start with the graphics card. See if you can switch graphics cards with somebody for a few days. It could be a number of things, power supply, motherboard, who knows. Gotta start somewhere. Check the heatsink and the paste on the video card, maybe reapply that. Completely reassemble your system with more tender love and care (TLC).

Good luck!
goonybird

Post by goonybird » Sun Dec 24, 2006 5:13 pm

opened up an early christmas present - FSX (no exclammation point :roll: ) - glad i didnt' buy it....i'd go back to FS9.......well, anyway, i digress....
i flew around for 15min or so on medium to medium high settings.... other than the expected stuttering from low frame-rate, not a hiccup....if this was a true hardware problem, would it show up then?....as you probably sense, i'm hoping HARD for a mere software glitch
goonybird

Post by goonybird » Sun Dec 24, 2006 5:40 pm

well...cranked everything to the right and flew for a few minutes more...aside from feeling like i was flying with a souped-up Apple IIe :roll: , everything worked out fine ....
goonybird

Post by goonybird » Mon Jan 01, 2007 1:47 pm

still rummaging around trying to find a solution.....found some error logs....i deleted them and ran the game afresh and here's what they said....
...in errors.log
1/1/2007 09:38
Command Line :
ActionProcessor::Reinitialize

and in....
Error.log
1/1/2007 09:38 V512091930
TrackIR DLL path: D:\NaturalPoint\TrackIR4\
TrackIR DLL path: D:\NaturalPoint\TrackIR4\
Dispatcher: track version = 512091930
Dispatcher: initial random seed = 2465343
Dispatcher: apply random seed = 2465343
Cosmos: Mission date assigned - Year:2004, Month:6, Day:22
Warning: (texture class Graphics::DXFontTexture) must be loaded to step 2, step 1 reported.

anyone know what this means?
Stryker

Post by Stryker » Mon Jan 01, 2007 7:40 pm

Do some checking in the Lockon Forums. Here is one of many threads.

http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/ ... 7881064282