Upgrading Beyond 2 Gigs of RAM in Your Rig? Read This!

Computer Topics
Lawndart
Virtual Thunderbird

Upgrading Beyond 2 Gigs of RAM in Your Rig? Read This!

Post by Lawndart » Mon Nov 06, 2006 6:20 pm

I learned some interesting facts I'll pass on for anyone running a non 64-bit system, processor and OS.

Different variations in physical memory limitations between Windows XP Home, Pro and Server editions etc and a little of how PEA (Physical Address Extension) works, as well as DEP (Data Execution Prevention) - a Microsoft invention that steals memory resources for a "safer" operation of executables and intrusion/virus prevention. Most of these are introductions with SP2 (Windows Service Pack 2) which also coincidentally allowed Win XP Pro up to 4Gb of RAM; however, with these additional resource hoggers you will never be able to actually see nor utilize 4Gb of RAM while running a non 64-bit OS. Since, that was the direction Microsoft was headed in when they released SP2, no fix will likely ever see daylight. Especially, considering Windows Vista's imminent release. Depending on your rig, you can get between 2-3.5Gb of RAM with XP Pro, by experimenting with various configurations of physical memory and the catch is this: 4Gb of sticks yielded 2.5Gb of RAM in Windows for me. Taking a full 1Gb stick out of the computer (total of 3Gb of sticks) gave me 3Gb of RAM in Windows. Go figure!

Don't get confused. It will make sense if you read to the bottom of it, but I'm going to leave it at that for now. If anyone is thinking about upgrading their 32-bit OS to have more than 2Gb of RAM I would STRONGLY advice you to research into this further as there are many possibilities depending on your version (hence, also limitation) of your Windows OS. The BIOS and every single analysis software sees the full 4Gb (or your actual RAM) in its tests. It is only Windows XP (32-bit) and its PAE that squanders your available RAM while running Windows or anything within the OS. In other words, your computer and all its entities, test programs etc and so forth recognize and see the full amount of your physical RAM, but because of Windows' structure, ANYTIME you are running anything off of your Windows OS, you are bound by its limitations... translation: LESS RAM... Get this: In some cases upgrading from 2Gb to 4Gb will still give you 2Gb while in Windows. Anything else and your system has the full amount, but not while in "Bill Gates World".

So, if you are planning on upgrading beyond 2Gb of RAM on a non 64-bit OS, you should really determine before hand what OS, system, type of RAM and combination of which your version of Windows will be able to allocate for you. Otherwise it's only going to be an extra space heater for your case! If this is all news to you, thank me for telling you now and not after you bought the RAM. Someone else did...

Here are a few links to get you started researching. The first is a forum post, but within the pages of that thread, you'll find several links and good explanations and links to other forums dealing with very confused people who just upgraded to anything above 2Gb of RAM, but either didn't get any more at all while in Windows or a lot less than they paid for.

http://www.brianmadden.com/content/content.asp?ID=69 (What does the 4Gb limit mean? This will get you started).

http://forums.contractoruk.com/threadnav4818-1-10.html (Some of the last pages have lots of good info and links to more info etc).
Burner
Virtual Thunderbird Alumnus

Post by Burner » Mon Nov 06, 2006 7:02 pm

You sure you have the latest Bios for your Mobo. I've heard of this happening, but only when the bios is not up to date.
Lawndart
Virtual Thunderbird

Post by Lawndart » Mon Nov 06, 2006 8:59 pm

Yes, not a BIOS issue. The BIOS sees all 4 Gig!

This site always have knowledgeable people and answers in the forums: Sharky Extreme. Lots of good tech info for hardware, troubleshooting pretty much anything with your rig as well as weekly price updates and reviews for puter hardware.

Go to this forum link: http://www.sharkyforums.com/showthread. ... 042&page=2

...and read post #18. That pretty much sums it up!