Metal shavings from my Cougar

Discussions about Cockpits, Joysticks & Setups
Gunner
Virtual Thunderbird

Metal shavings from my Cougar

Post by Gunner » Mon Jun 19, 2006 10:18 pm

I just noticed fine metal shavings under my stick - when I tapped it on the desk, I had shavings all the way around the bottom seam. Am I already wearing this out :?:
How many hours(guessing) before you have to replace the pots?
Burner
Virtual Thunderbird Alumnus

Post by Burner » Mon Jun 19, 2006 10:47 pm

Well its not the pots as they have a plastic casing. If metal is coming from the base when the bottom plate is still in place its most likely coming from either the base housing or the bottom plate. However I've never seen this sort of thing b/f in a cougar.
Lawndart
Virtual Thunderbird

Post by Lawndart » Tue Jun 20, 2006 9:19 am

Unless you feel true resistance in moving the stick around or friction such as two metal surfaces making contact I wouldn't worry about it. It's probably just some metal shavings and dust left from the production of the gimbals if I understand what you're describing correctly. Or it could be that the initial use of a stick that had pieces snugly fit is being worn in. Either way, it doesn't sound alarming to me. When I modded my first Cougar with the NXT I remember there was a lot of "saw dust" on the inside of the base of the stick. Curled metal pieces and dust. You probably have nothing to worry about. Just open the bottom of the Kitty up and take a look (the base is not attached to anything, it's just like popping the hood of your car for a look inside)!

Definitely not a problem with potentiometers like Burner said. It wouldn't hurt to stock up on those regardless though and practice soldering for when the time comes...

LD