Code One: Airpower Projection Magazine

Discussions about Cockpits, Joysticks & Setups
Rock
Virtual Thunderbird Alumnus

Code One: Airpower Projection Magazine

Post by Rock » Sat Jan 21, 2006 7:02 pm

Here is a link to a magazine with some very very interesting online articles. Also, has some nice photos...Found this one on the Freebirds forum complements of AV8R.

http://www.codeonemagazine.com/archives ... viper.html
Lawndart
Virtual Thunderbird

Post by Lawndart » Sat Jan 21, 2006 10:04 pm

Awesome find Rock! Thanks!

Every owner of the FSSB mod should read the F-16 Flight Controls article from Code One by Joe Bill Dryden. I've never driven a Viper IRL, but I can relate to everything he's talking about going from the NXT mod to the FSSB mod. Lots of good info and fun reading.

LD
Rock

Post by Rock » Sat Jan 21, 2006 11:19 pm

I really enjoyed that article LD, especially after making the transition to the FSSB. Learned some new phrases such as "sampling" and "roll ratcheting." I think there is a follow up article to this one so I am going to search it out.
Burner

Post by Burner » Sun Jan 22, 2006 3:01 am

However unfortunately, LOMAC does not have a rate command digital flight control system and has a crude displacement system. Meaning the pull at high speeds has a greater affect than at slow speeds. Unfortunately a force stick is more suited to a rate command system, which we will hopefully have in fighter ops.
Lawndart
Virtual Thunderbird

Post by Lawndart » Sun Jan 22, 2006 3:21 pm

Here's hoping! But more than anything, I hope the netcode can live up to expectations. No hype in the world will save any new sim if the code simply is nothing short of outstanding.

Speaking of flying with a force sensor stick. Unless you have a pit (or equivalent solution) handy at home that allows zero movement of the base, I'd recommend anyone attempting to fly Lead with a force sensor mod not to use trim. Ideally you'd want trim, but since you lack the tactile feedback it's next to impossible not to unload from uncommanded movement in the base or platform that the stick is attached to.

LD
Burner

Post by Burner » Sun Jan 22, 2006 6:17 pm

Yup, looking at the Fighter Ops forums the Devs seem to be keyed into the community demand for formation aerobatics and have even gone as far as to say there will be special settings in game for formation teams. We can only speculate as to what they will be- no pylons, no unnecessary functions (radar, ballistics, etc.) for a smooth connection.

We should defiantely have Cinch offer us up as formation/net code testers. It would be a great way to get some features we want into the game.
Funky

Post by Funky » Sun Jan 22, 2006 11:28 pm

Thanks a lot Rock for the great set of articles! Enjoyed reading two of them last night and now I know I've got lots of GOOD material to read for a while to come :lol: . And hey, we've seriously got to watch our sampling rate, especially in real - couse I bet its directly proportional to the maintenance costs!

On the subject of aerobatics in FO; I talk to Buckshot (their VP of Engineering department) regularly and he's been telling me that they've defiantly got plans for aerobatic teams. We're talking views, net core, etc... but nothing is set to stone yet. I also know that Cinch talks to him too, very often; so he would probably know a lot more about this subject than I do...

Funky