Rudder Pedals?

Discussions about Cockpits, Joysticks & Setups
Fist

Rudder Pedals?

Post by Fist » Sun Jan 15, 2006 1:04 am

I did not see a thread on this but if there is I am sorry for posting this.

How many of you Thunderbirds use rudder pedals instead of the stock HOTAS? Which pedals do you recomend?
Paul (Tha Fist) Compton
Burner
Virtual Thunderbird Alumnus

Post by Burner » Sun Jan 15, 2006 1:37 am

I think about 3/4 of us have pedals, but bottom line they're really not necessary. They are a big help in a few specific situations but most of the time they just make the formation look good.
STRIKER

Post by STRIKER » Sun Jan 15, 2006 2:41 am

I agree with Burner as far as the Diamond but for Solo's you will need them. Knife Edge pass, Delta Roll, and 4 point rolls demand them!

5's clear,
Convertible

Post by Convertible » Sun Jan 15, 2006 11:21 pm

Also from a #4's perspective. I use rudders 3 times during a show. I will use them to move from fingertip formation on takeoff into the slot position. I also use them when I transition from slot to right wing for the 5 card and then back to slot after 5 card. I also use them in the transition into line abreast on the left side of #2 then back into slot at the apex of the loop. Those would be the only times that I have found them useful from #4's position in the diamond. Other than that, there would be no other need for them.

Convertible
Imdbombboarder

Post by Imdbombboarder » Sun Feb 05, 2006 4:44 am

Any recommendations on a good rudder?
-Kevin-
Lawndart
Virtual Thunderbird

Post by Lawndart » Sun Feb 05, 2006 6:29 pm

Thrustmaster Elite's typically sell for around $50 on Ebay and later on you could even mod them with Hall Sensors if you wish.

Lawndart
SilverOne

Post by SilverOne » Sun Feb 05, 2006 8:24 pm

yah, but ruders are complicated for begginers , me , i usualy turn left and right when i wana stay in formation , rudders complicate stuff.
[-]SilverOne[-] [- Best Regards
Convertible

Post by Convertible » Sun Feb 05, 2006 10:32 pm

I would disagree. I just started to use rudder pedals, TM Elite, about 3 weeks ago with my Cougar. I have found that it takes one more movement out of my hand and put it somewhere that was just sitting on the floor. I like them! :D In my time on the team trying to pull the stick, turn on smoke and add rudder as needed all with the same hand was much more complicated then turning smoke on with one hand, pulling with the other and using rudder with your feet. I personally, after 3 weeks with pedals, find that I would be at a total loss now without them. But everyone has their own opinion. Best of luck to you. I do like the Elite pedals too by the way. Pick them up on ebay. 8)

Convertible
Imdbombboarder

Post by Imdbombboarder » Mon Feb 06, 2006 3:25 am

Silver, when we were flyin earlier today, you said dont use rudder. I think its easier, with my joystick, its pretty sensitive. Using rudder is easy, because you dont have to worry about keeping your plane level etc why using ailerons. Just rudder it, and it gets you in the right position, and you can keep the wings nice and level. Yawing is your friend :)
-Kevin-
Burner

Post by Burner » Mon Feb 06, 2006 1:01 pm

Ruddering around works for simple things. But as the maneuvers gets more complex rudder inputs are not fast enough to stand on their own as your means of correction. Getting your wings to level with the Boss is very important for loop maneuvers, rudder pedals are not your friend in a loop unless you're already in damage control mode just trying to stay close.

Overall I recommend getting very good flying w/o rudders. Then add them back in as a suppliment. I flew my first year on the Tbirds w/o even having a rudder axis and did just fine.
Imdbombboarder

Post by Imdbombboarder » Mon Feb 06, 2006 3:12 pm

All i mean, is that when your wings are level, and you need to line up closer very incremently, then rudder for me atleast is the definate way to go!
-Kevin-
Convertible

Post by Convertible » Mon Feb 06, 2006 3:57 pm

I would also agree with Burner. As I am flying around, as mentioned above earlier, I don't use them. I only use them for transitions from diamond to 5 card and transition from diamond to line abreast then back. The only other time I would use them on take off going from fingertip to diamond as the number 4 pilot. Other then that, I can do without them as well. Thanks Burner for clarifying that.

Convertible
SilverOne

Post by SilverOne » Mon Feb 06, 2006 5:17 pm

i don't realy have ruders, if i want to ruder i'll use my lil cougar, i'm buyin 1 soon, but my gtx stands first , n it arrives tomorow!!!11, i'll buy a ruders soon, what i exacly meant is that when ur already in a form , just turn the plane a lil bit, with a lil bit of practise n a good joystick config u'll get off with it.
[-]SilverOne[-] [- Best Regards
STRIKER

Post by STRIKER » Tue Feb 07, 2006 9:07 pm

dam SilverOne, looking at your current posts per day I think you might be taking our resident post whore honor soon!
Lawndart
Virtual Thunderbird

Post by Lawndart » Wed Feb 08, 2006 10:44 am

LOL Striker...

Rudders are for finesse! Your other flight controls are what get you to where you need to be!

Having said that, you couldn't make as precise of a roll without using all controls including rudders and keeping your wings absolutely level with Boss all the way around a roll (not banking inboard toward him or away from him). Since rudder inputs carry a bit of delay and create some awkward looking maneuvering when used too aggressively, remember that they are used to gracefully alleviate the use of ailerons, not to replace the roll inputs when flying. It's easier to mask a correction using ailerons than it is using rudder, but when all used together in "proper amounts" you wouldn't have to mask anything. If you can fly without rudders, you'll do just fine transitioning to using them without "overusing" them as #2 pointed out.

Lawndart