Joystick Recommendations

Discussions about Cockpits, Joysticks & Setups
EagleReid

Joystick Recommendations

Post by EagleReid » Tue Dec 07, 2010 5:42 pm

Let's get this topic going!

Okay, X-mas is right around the corner. I fly a lot in Lock On 2 and my Logitech Wingman is getting too sensitive. It's time for an upgrade. Well, I need some rudder pedals that are good, but NOT expensive and I need a good joystick. Recommendations please, and why you recommended. This class assignment is due this Thursday and -5 points if you turn it into the late basket Friday. ;)
Last edited by EagleReid on Thu Dec 09, 2010 9:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lawndart
Virtual Thunderbird

Post by Lawndart » Tue Dec 07, 2010 10:32 pm

1) For a high end stick, the Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog - hands down, no questions asked (just look for the plethora of reviews around the community).

2) If you are looking for a budget stick, I'd suggest the Thrustmaster T.16000M - also programmable with T.A.R.G.E.T and H.E.A.R.T equipped.
EagleReid

Post by EagleReid » Tue Dec 07, 2010 10:38 pm

Sorry for being informative, I'm in need of a budget stick. I don't know what TARGET is or HEART is, so I less not need to worry about it, I assume. Is the T.16000M good for formation and maneuvering?

Thanks!
Lawndart
Virtual Thunderbird

Post by Lawndart » Tue Dec 07, 2010 10:57 pm

It's got a H.E.A.R.T sensor, so it's using the same technology found in the HOTAS Warthog. It's not a HOTAS, and mainly for that reason would I suggest something different with separate throttle, stick and rudders (as opposed to a joystick with throttle axis and twist). Your dilemma here will be that any HOTAS unit is going to run you at least a few hundred, so for budget the T.16000M is a solid choice, but for any hardcore user (read: VTB or serious formation aerobatics enthusiast) you'd definitely want a true HOTAS setup.

If you're unsure about any of the terms research the manufacturers' product pages (features) and look for reviews (SimHQ).
Beaker

Post by Beaker » Wed Dec 08, 2010 12:46 am

Not much you can get for cheap. A good stick will run you about 50 bucks, any pedals will run you 80-100, and a throttle by itself is about the same as the pedals. (Unless you buy a used Saitek HOTAS or something.)

Don't expect to get all the fun simming toys without shelling out a fair amount of money.
VSB-DoubleTake

Post by VSB-DoubleTake » Wed Dec 08, 2010 8:21 am

I agree with LD. The T.16000M from Thrustmaster is a great "budget" type stick. I used it briefly in conjunction with my Saitek X52 throttle and was pretty happy with the results. I had been using the X52 stick prior and the differences were very evident.

It's infinitely superior to the X52 in terms of accuracy and feel.
Beaker

Post by Beaker » Wed Dec 08, 2010 5:29 pm

My suggestion... Don't get a Saitek stick. An old Atari joystick has better motion for a flight simulator.
EagleReid

Post by EagleReid » Wed Dec 08, 2010 10:15 pm

Okay, there's been some fixing. I can spend up to $200. So, here's the deal, I don't need rudder pedals if it already comes with rudder technology in the stick, it just wouldn't make sense. But, if you think I need them, then let me know which ones I should buy. So, now that you know more of my price range, has the ideas of joysticks changed at all? I want one that won't "crap" on me easily and that will be worth it. A guy is willing to sell me his new Thrustmaster for $20. Should I accept that and buy some high quality rudder pedals? Or, do you think I should go for a better stick? I'm sorry for asking all these questions, I just wanted to utilize this category and get advice from the professionals (all of you).

Let me also add to this: I'll be doing some solo maneuverer(s) like Knife Edges, and mirror passes and what not when I fly so I need a stick that won't tear on me so easily and that will be good for just that. Thanks again!
VSB-DoubleTake

Post by VSB-DoubleTake » Thu Dec 09, 2010 6:26 pm

In all seriousness, if your budget is $200 get the T.16000M and then see if you can wrangle a used throttle and pedals.

Pedals aren't necessary for formation flying, but you have to make sure that your rudder axis doesn't bleed into your pitch and roll axis. You may be able to setup a deadzone on the rudder axis to try and counteract this.

The other thing you may want to think about is TrackIR. A new TrackIR 5 will run somewhere around $150, but you may be able to find TrackIR 4 cheaper used as well. It will likely put you over your budget at this point but it's definitely something to think about for the future.

BTW, what model of stick is your friend's Thrustmaster?
Rhino

Post by Rhino » Thu Dec 09, 2010 6:53 pm

Beaker wrote:My suggestion... Don't get a Saitek stick. An old Atari joystick has better motion for a flight simulator.
Word, Cotton. It's amazing that we've found that $20 sticks that are something like 10 years old have worked the best for some of our guys. Saitek just blows. Remember they're owned by a company that primarily makes PS3/XBOX 360 controllers (MadCatz). Thrustmaster or CH for me please.
Phantoms Phorever!
EagleReid

Post by EagleReid » Thu Dec 09, 2010 8:06 pm

Saitek is terrible, I've bought two of their products and regret it from the get-go!

DoubleTake - I already have a TrackIR4. The T.16000M already has a throttle, why would I need another throttle? I could just use my old throttle from my X52 for that matter, but then again, Saitek isn't my best friend. So, I want one better than my current one, of course. One that will be good for formation and solo maneuvers.
The stick I'm using now:
Would this one be better than the T.16000M or would the throttle and stick be too close, and thus effect maneuvers?

Does it make a difference by me saying I'll be flying the F-15? Still same stick recs?
Well, if pedals aren't necessary, then forget them.

Thanks again!!!
Beaker

Post by Beaker » Thu Dec 09, 2010 8:43 pm

You can detach the base on that cheaper thrustmaster HOTAS you pictured, but you get what you pay for... pretty creaky and cheap.

Buy the 16000M. If you want a HOTAS throttle, buy a separate one or use your X52 throttle. 16000M is what I would consider the only presently available "mid range" quality stick.
Lawndart
Virtual Thunderbird

Post by Lawndart » Thu Dec 09, 2010 8:47 pm

EagleReid wrote:Would this one be better than the T.16000M or would the throttle and stick be too close, and thus effect maneuvers?
The T.16000M is the only other stick to my knowledge that has H.E.A.R.T aside from the HOTAS Warthog. If you want better resolution in your inputs, I'd go with that.
EagleReid wrote:Does it make a difference by me saying I'll be flying the F-15? Still same stick recs?
No. Yes.
EagleReid wrote:Well, if pedals aren't necessary, then forget them.
Say what? To each their own, but you'd better have rudders mapped to something that you can control with a great deal of precision if you intend to do any serious formation flying or aerobatics!

I understand what you're looking for might not be the same as we'd recommend, but just for reference (as I wouldn't want to mislead anyone), we ask that all new recruits trying out for us have a true HOTAS setup, including rudder pedals. We just don't mess around. :lol:

On the other hand we've all also invested copious amounts of money into our pits. :oops:
EagleReid

Post by EagleReid » Thu Dec 09, 2010 8:57 pm

Lawndart,

I meant that if I rudder pedals aren't necessary, then I can just use the stick's grocery list.

I want you to know that your fellas help is helping me so much, I'm about getting my list together. So, here's the final deal, we have the budget (you know), so now it's time to put it together. Based on your input (all of you that suggested), the T.16000M isn't a bad joystick for formation and solo manevours. Now, I don't know about its sensitivity, by looking it up, I don't know if I'll be getting much difference from my Logitech to it.

Plan:
T.16000M ....... $20 (tentative from friend)
Using old throttle from X52 ....... Nightmare (but free)
Rudder Pedals .............. Any recommendations?
TrackIR ........... Have it

So, what rudder pedals do you fellas use? How's the x-mas list looking? I'm still iffy about that joystick, but you've pretty much all recommended it for my budget so I guess it means if I can't get the Hotas, it's best to go down to it. If I get the T.16000M, it having rudder capability will definitely make things confusing with the pedals and the stick. VSB-DoubleTake, you recommended doing some configuration to disable the rudders on the stick, well, that'll be confusing, but I guess it can be done! ;)

Now, my X52 throttle is dusty and almost rusty, so if you have any throttle recommendations, that'd also be appreciated.

Thanks again!
VSB-DoubleTake

Post by VSB-DoubleTake » Fri Dec 10, 2010 7:23 pm

Sounds like you are on your way then and still lots of $ to invest in pedals. I have Saitek, but wouldn't buy them again. They feel cheap. They do get the job done tho. You might want to look at a set from CH.