Simped non-USB rudder pedals without Cougar

Discussions about Cockpits, Joysticks & Setups
Lawndart
Virtual Thunderbird

Simped non-USB rudder pedals without Cougar

Post by Lawndart » Mon Jun 28, 2010 1:02 am

With the HW coming later this year, Simped users may find this info useful.
Bwaze wrote:Quite a lot of people use these brilliant German made pedals with their Thrustmaster Cougars. Hall sensor, load cell toe brakes, and in case of Simped F-16 they even look like the part:

The problem is that many of us bought these pedals without thinking that they would outlast Cougars. Since the Thrustmaster Warthog doesn't have the 15-pin Gameport input for rudder, buyers will have to find other solutions. DHS Electronics website states that the pedals are not ordinary gameport connection:

15pol Sub-D connector for HOTAS (no gameport!)

One is of course keeping the Cougar and using the stick base for the (somewhat bulky and pricey) adapter. But since I hope to sell my Cougar to ease the financial burden of buying Warthog, I wanted to find out other options.

I contacted DHS Electronics (makers of Simped pedals), and Gunter Hoffman kindly provided these replies:
We had a lot of questions about this topic. We do not plan to make an adapter on our own because there will be a lot of them and we will only test which one will be the best solution for our pedals. If we found one we will offer it in our web-shop soon. But as far as I can tell the precision will get a little bit lower by using such an adapter because digital ones re-calculate the values and to keep up the operation speed not every value is taken. So is my impression so far but I hope we will find an adapter that works well.

Our Gameport pedals are mainly digital ones (all versions with minimum one LED in base plate). Therefore you need an active adapter and the majority on the market are analogue adapters. We have some here to test but my time is very limited to test it well (due to 3 jobs...;-) ). The one that worked the best so far is called "SuperJoyBox7". But I think there will be some modifications to let it work correctly. If it works well I will write a short manual how to use it and offer it in our e-shop.
Hopefully I can write more to you in one month and I will find some more time to handle this topic because its getting close now.

It looks that it's not simple analogue connection, so hooking to Leo Bodnar's board is not an option. But the good news is that DHS Electronic are testing available digital gameport to USB adaptors. I have googled mentioned "SuperJoyBox7", and it looks an inexpensive Chinese adapter (under 10 $ or EUR):

Super Joybox 7 - Gameport to USB Converter
STRIKER
Virtual Thunderbird Alumnus

Post by STRIKER » Mon Jun 28, 2010 8:54 am

That's why I bought the USB SimPed version from the guy before he died. ;)
Beaker

Post by Beaker » Mon Jun 28, 2010 3:56 pm

Man I'd love to have a set of those!!!

Am I going to have to make new pedals...? :lol:
Teej
Virtual Thunderbird

Post by Teej » Mon Jun 28, 2010 4:41 pm

STRIKER wrote:That's why I bought the USB SimPed version from the guy before he died. ;)
He may have died, but they're still being made.