Can't download profiles to Thrustmaster HOTAS Cougar

Discussions about Cockpits, Joysticks & Setups
Sniper xxx

Can't download profiles to Thrustmaster HOTAS Cougar

Post by Sniper xxx » Mon Jun 14, 2010 3:54 am

Hey guys.

Firstly this is my first post on Virtual Thunderbirds so hey, how's it going?

So one day on my computer, Foxy decides it's going to be annoying and that it can't find the Cougar. I really need some help on this one. I've spent about 4 weeks trying to sort it out but with no luck. When I hit the download button a paragraph comes up with the title
"ERROR 1008: Device error". The paragraph basically says that Foxy can't find my Cougar and that it might not be plugged in, it might be "frozen" in some way, there may be a problem with Windows and its communication to USB devices, or I may have a hardware problem. And also in the CCP when I press the button and axis emulation button, an error comes up which says "Emulation was unable to be turned on. There is no emulation file loaded in the device".

I have tried different versions of Foxy before but they all either freeze or come up with the error message. I've also tried un-plugging, re-plugging in the Cougar, setting all axis to 0, and re-starting the Cougar.

Please please please help me!!! It used to work on the same computer.

Thanx in advance.
Teej
Virtual Thunderbird

Post by Teej » Mon Jun 14, 2010 7:35 am

Well, first things first - if Windows doesn't see it, Foxy never will. Don't bother trying to start Foxy to download a profile until you can see the stick in Windows control panel / game controllers (not the CCP, not the Cougar entry in control panel, just the generic game controllers).

What does Windows say/do when you unplug / plug the device? You should get the device removal/reinstall tones.

Is there any chance that at any point, the Cougar's trigger was held in while it was being plugged into the computer? This causes the stick to dump its firmware (not the same as the profile you're trying to load). There's another utility you should already have to flash the firmware - but if you're gonna try that, make sure the throttle is disconnected first. Some people have had the throttle pot get fried if they flashed firmware w/ throttle attached.

There's some more detail here:

http://cougar.flyfoxy.com/faqinstall.php

Good luck!
Cali

Post by Cali » Thu Jun 24, 2010 3:54 pm

I see I'm not the only one that is having this problem. I started a thread on our forums and here is the link:
http://3sqn.com/forum/showthread.php?p=21630#post21630

Mine does the same thing he said and I have tried to install it on 2 different computers, with Windows 7 64-bit and Vista...I'm taking it back to Fry's today and might get another one and see if I just had a bad Cougar.
Cali

Post by Cali » Fri Jun 25, 2010 1:09 pm

Traded that one in for another one, hopefully this one installs without a hitch.
Sinister

Post by Sinister » Sat Aug 07, 2010 1:13 am

I am sorry that I did not see this thread sooner, but I also have hade the DEVICE NOT DETECTED messege and CCP freezes and even when I have unplugged and replugged the Cougar back in, it did not recognize. I could not fly for almost 2 weeks.

Even after dumping the firmware and reinstalling Cougar drivers, it did not work until I uninstalled everything (backup your profiles, and even your calibration files, just place them on flash drive or something)...

Anyways, after unflashing the firmware I plugged my Cougar into a different computer and installed the software and then reflashed the Cougar with the new computer (old crappy laptop). I was able to then take the Cougar back to my simming rig and do the install and it worked.

If you continue to have problems go to http://ts.thrustmaster.com and sign up and then log your situation.