Cougar profiles and curves

Discussions about Cockpits, Joysticks & Setups
169th_Cougar

Cougar profiles and curves

Post by 169th_Cougar » Thu Sep 08, 2005 8:42 pm

Anyone using a Cougar that can upload their CCP profile and in game curves. I thought mine were good, but it seems the pressure applied is always too much and make it even harder to stay stable.

Hopefuly when I get my FCC mod into that beast it will be even easier. :)

Thank You,
Cougar
Burner
Virtual Thunderbird Alumnus

Post by Burner » Fri Sep 09, 2005 1:32 am

I am thinking of getting an FCC stick as well, Dirty loves his FSSB but it's no longer available. You'll have to let me know how you like it when you get it. Anyway I keep my Cougar set to straight curves and zero dead zones, then let LOMAC do the rest. Here are my LOMAC settings. Basically using shift on my roll curve gives me a more touchy response which comes in handy during loops where you need to put in small roll corrections without disturbing the pitch input. The pitch has 10% less curve because that is the amount Boss uses, no other reason.

169th_Cougar

Post by 169th_Cougar » Fri Sep 09, 2005 3:10 am

Thank You Burner and will let you know when I will get the FCC. Wish I had it now maybe I would have performed better :lol:
TBT_Piper

Post by TBT_Piper » Fri Sep 09, 2005 10:43 am

Another Gianormous avatar!!! I wish I had a Cougar.
JaBog32_Dirty
Virtual Thunderbird Alumnus

Post by JaBog32_Dirty » Sat Sep 10, 2005 11:43 am

...I would have performed better
Believe me, you would have performed awsome! I use the FSSB from Spain and I wouldn't wanna miss it. ZERO deadzone, neither in the CCP nor in Lomac. You can make inputs soooooo small, you can see them only when flying at 16x speed. No moving parts, no deadzone, absolute control. You can choose if you want to pull up into that loop at 2.34 or 2.35 G. No kidding! At the same time it allows you to go from zero rollrate to full aileron deflection and back in 0.1 seconds. You dont actually "steer" the plane, you "think" the plane around.

Normally I am very conservative when making recommendations, but this thing is absolutely awsome!!!!!! I don't know another word to describe it better.

Dirty
It's not the speed that kills you... it's the sudden stop!
169th_Cougar

Post by 169th_Cougar » Sun Sep 11, 2005 7:38 am

Yea hopefully I will get it before another opportunity to show up what I'm made of comes up. :)
Lawndart
Virtual Thunderbird

Post by Lawndart » Mon Sep 12, 2005 9:04 pm

I have no curve what-so-ever in CCP (Cougar Control Panel). Just a straight diagonal (linear) line with a slight DZ. I'd recommend users of different joysticks to do the same and tweak curves in LOMAC only. This is my pitch input curve in LOMAC that I use now and while I was leading. These are of most importance for everyone to sync up with when doing formation aerobatics in order for everyone to "pull evenly".

LD

Flip

Post by Flip » Mon Sep 19, 2005 9:35 am

Ehm... me = X45 user. :oops: :oops:
169th_Cougar

Post by 169th_Cougar » Tue Sep 27, 2005 5:50 pm

Yay my FCC mod is on its way, should have it in 2 weeks. 8)
Tomcatboy48237

Post by Tomcatboy48237 » Tue Sep 27, 2005 9:27 pm

Flip wrote:Ehm... me = X45 user. :oops: :oops:
I was thinking about getting an X-45, is there a reason I shouldn't? I haven't checked out joysticks before, so I'm pretty clueless.
TBT_Piper

Post by TBT_Piper » Tue Sep 27, 2005 9:59 pm

Yes there is a reason, it jumps when trying to input small movements.

The X-52 fixes this somewhat, but a M$ or Cougar is better.
Tomcatboy48237

Post by Tomcatboy48237 » Tue Sep 27, 2005 10:48 pm

Good to know, I'll look around some more.
Lawndart
Virtual Thunderbird

Post by Lawndart » Thu Sep 29, 2005 12:39 am

No joystick is perfect, but if I had to do it over again I'd save the money for a Cougar instead of eventually buying one after spending $$ on several cheaper sticks. The Cougar does have its own set of design flaws and problems though, but in comparison to most other sticks it still beats the competition hands down IMHO!

Check out Cougar World for all the info you need about this 20lb Gorilla! Best prices found seem to be on www.amazon.com most of the time...

LD
Frazer

Post by Frazer » Mon Jan 16, 2006 9:05 am

I think a curve setting between 3 and 3.5 (5 is default) for the pitch is the best combination between sensitivity at low G flight (straight and level) and when pulling around 4 G's (loops and stuff).
In my opinion a curve setting of 4, like you guys use, is too sensitive when flying loops and barrels. You will have the nose stamping effect when you correct to keep up and that doesn't look nice from outside. The other thing you could do is put the "shift" at 5.5. You will not use the full pitch axis for formation flying anyway. (Of course when you also fly Solo's you probably do use that area). The roll and rudder settings are not that important, but if your interested, I have the roll curve at 2, the D-zone at 0.4 and the shift at 5. For the rudder I have D-zone and shift like the roll and the curve at 2.5.
The other "new" thing what will give you the maximum control possible is the "joyrange" setting. It will be good to set that between 1000 and 3000. Check this.

I use the X52 and I usually fly the Su-27. The best settings can depend on what joystick you use and on what aircraft you fly.
Last thing, I have no D-zones on the joystick profiler.

I hope this is useful and that you will get the best out of your setup and yourself!

Greetz,
Frazer

TIP: Don't change the settings all the time, give yourself the time to get used to your new settings.