Quick FSSB question

Discussions about Cockpits, Joysticks & Setups
Trigen

Quick FSSB question

Post by Trigen » Sun May 16, 2010 4:55 am

Hi there Thunderbirds,

Posting this question here as you guys seem to be the largest users of the FSSB.

Thing is, it seems it has developed a rather large gap which results in a definite click and a feeling of no resistance (some but not much) if it's moved quickly back or forward on the y axis.

Moves about 3 grid spaces up or down in Foxy analyzer (10 lbs setting, same with all settings however).

Nothing to be done about this one of course but I'm wondering if you guys and gals have somewhat the same issue.

Or if it's my testing it at 21 with a kung fu grip of titans that is the main issue.

Regards,
Trigen

Recovering cookie addict.

And of course keep up the good work!
Panther
Virtual Thunderbird

Post by Panther » Sun May 16, 2010 1:30 pm

It sounds like your bottom handle screws are loose, allowing some play.

Follow this LINK as a guide for tightening the screws. The guide goes into detail how to change the screws and make a few mods to the upper joystick shaft.
Trigen

Post by Trigen » Tue May 18, 2010 12:58 am

Thanks for the reply Panther appreciate it :)

I was debating with myself whether to leave the click out knowing that this would most likely lead to the answer I got, but I ended up with leaving it in.

So let's leave the click out for this one. (Cubby's screw kit is installed etc).

"Nothing to be done about this one of course but I'm wondering if you guys and gals have somewhat the same issue.

Or if it's my testing it at 21 with a kung fu grip of titans that is the main issue.

Should be some question marks on those, sorry about that.
Burner
Virtual Thunderbird Alumnus

Post by Burner » Tue May 18, 2010 3:31 am

I haven't done Cubby's mod and have the stick play when pulling in the Y-Axis. But when the movement hits is maximum and I have no further movement until I push forward on the stick. I have to push because I do tail slides in our show but if you're just doing formation work a liberal amount of nose down trim set in the Cougar Foxy profile will prevent you from ever having to push on the stick. I use -34 trim on the Y-Axis in Foxy, your mileage may vary.
Gunner
Virtual Thunderbird

Post by Gunner » Tue May 18, 2010 8:40 am

Trigen wrote:Thanks for the reply Panther appreciate it :)

"Nothing to be done about this one of course but I'm wondering if you guys and gals have somewhat the same issue.

I haven't had any issues, mine is rock solid after installing Cubby's screws. It's possible you caused some damage when testing the heavy resistance, but I've been flying with 21 lbs for 2 years with no problems. Most of that time has been with an actual resistance of 17 - 19 lbs after CCP adjustment, but I am now at the full 21 lbs and it's holding up fine.
Beaker

Post by Beaker » Tue May 18, 2010 11:31 am

Trigen wrote:kung fu grip of titans
Can I use that line? :lol:
Trigen

Post by Trigen » Tue May 18, 2010 11:40 am

Thanks for the replies , that clears things up so I might have to look into this a little further with the Spanish.

As for trim I'm flying the SU-27 model, on neutral trim it's usually more than enough, and I'm getting those popeye muscles quite fast as our lead likes to stay in a turn or pull 99% of the time and since I'm the only one with the FFSB I have to suffer a little, but that's well worth it.

21 for 2 years woah, you must be giving Mr. Arnold a run for his money now Gunner!

Right back to watching Top Gun, missed out on some great flying scenes already.

Cheers, and may the gods of flight forever be with you.
Physicists makes me laugh, why?
Their highly intelligent minds has epic battles with the understanding and use of an overhead. (The same is true for mosts scientists).
There's nothing worse than a 5 min explanation to a yes or no question.
Trigen

Post by Trigen » Tue May 18, 2010 11:52 am

Beaker wrote:
Trigen wrote:kung fu grip of titans
Can I use that line? :lol:
Be my guest Beaker.
Their highly intelligent minds has epic battles with the understanding and use of an overhead. (The same is true for mosts scientists).
Trigen

Post by Trigen » Wed Sep 22, 2010 11:12 am

Hi there

Sorry it took so long but seem to forget to post while I do my morning forum rounds... zzZzzz

Anyways, it turns out the Cougar and the FSSB were too loose in the connection point no matter how hard I turned it and then it will of course wiggle forward and back, I found the easiest solution to be 2 aluminum foil balls of about the same size put in there to sort the issue.

So if you got a little bit of wiggle room in there the foil balls work great.

Trigen