Joyrange Setting

Discussions about Cockpits, Joysticks & Setups
Lawndart
Virtual Thunderbird

Joyrange Setting

Post by Lawndart » Tue Nov 24, 2009 1:38 pm

I just tried changing the joyrange.cfg value whilst trying to solve why the joystick doesn't center up perfectly in Lock On if the deadzones are set to "0" (in game). That topic in itself is probably another "lockonism" I'd be happy to discuss further in detail if anyone is interested. It reminded me of the "non-centering trim issue" in the F-15 when using in-game trim and pressing CTRL-T. (The uber minute roll inputs had little to nothing to do with my Cougar or its CCP deadzones as first thought)!

Changing the jonrange.cfg not only seemed to fix the input centering issue in Lock On while using "0" deadzone for the roll and rudder (in game), but also made my inputs smoother it seems. Part of it is probably mental, but it sure seemed better none the less and no more uncommanded roll inputs!

By the way, the roll inputs I'm talking about here are only perceptible if you use accelerated time (pressing CTRL-A up to 10X) and fly around, tap your stick in any direction, L/R etc. and see if it absolutely centers your inputs afterwards. It should not continue rolling in the direction you just tapped your stick. I ended up with a small continuous roll from time to time after releasing the stick before I made this change. After changing the joyrange.cfg value however, it's no longer there for me. (The only other way I was able to get rid of the input centering issue was by increasing the in game deadzones above "zero". It didn't matter how much I increased deadzones in CCP, only in Lock On. Note: Keep in mind this didn't happen for the pitch since I already had DZ 10 set for my Y-axis curve in game (50, 10, 40), but since I use DZ 0 for rudder and roll in game, this "lockonism" rears its ugly head.

Just for reference, my axis settings (in game) are (SHIFT, DZ, CURVE):

X: 50, 0, 0
Y: 50, 10, 40
Z: 50, 0, 0

No change from these settings (screenshots) I often refer to (keeping in mind I adjust deadzone and curve for the X- and Z-axes in CCP instead of in game).

I'd suggest opening your joyrange.cfg file in the \config\ folder and change the value from its default setting of "400" to "3000".

Read this topic for a little more info on the joyrange subject.
Razgriz

Re: Joyrange Setting

Post by Razgriz » Tue Nov 24, 2009 6:33 pm

Will this work the same for the X52 and other sticks?
Frazer

Post by Frazer » Tue Nov 24, 2009 6:49 pm

With the X52Pro I do have little deadzones on the roll simply because there is little or no centering force once pulled. In other words, it prevents me from rolling unnoticed while pulling.

Eighter way, great find Lawndart! :D
Lawndart
Virtual Thunderbird

Re: Joyrange Setting

Post by Lawndart » Tue Nov 24, 2009 7:26 pm

Razgriz wrote:Will this work the same for the X52 and other sticks?
The issue described above stems from using 0 DZ in Lock On regardless of the type of joystick, and editing the joyrange.cfg file appears to remedy this. You could obviously also use more than 0 DZ and it would fix the absolute centering issue too (although increasing the value to "3000" in the joyrange.cfg may have other added benefits in smoothness mentioned in the other thread).

The reason it was paramount for me to find this solution was because I didn't want to have any DZ in Lock On for my X-, and Z-axis (I setup my deadzones and curves in the Cougar Control Panel instead). The same goes for several of us who use FSSBs and the CCP to adjust curves instead of doing it inside Lock On, hence the fix.
kerdougan

Post by kerdougan » Wed Nov 25, 2009 2:41 pm

I gave it a few tries and it's just great :D

My LO settings are (50,0,0)

CCP settings:
X DZ axis: lower 0 centre 5 upper 0 curve 0 | resistance setting 10 lbs
Y DZ axis: lower 47 centre 5 upper 37 curve 0 | resistance setting 21 lbs

Smoother control, greater precision, little corrections are easier to do.

Thanks for the tip LD :D
Last edited by kerdougan on Wed Nov 25, 2009 6:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Jet-E-Sons
Burner
Virtual Thunderbird Alumnus

Post by Burner » Wed Nov 25, 2009 4:50 pm

kerdougan wrote:I gave it a few tries and it's just great :D

My LO settings are (0,0,0)

CCP settings:
X DZ axis: lower 0 centre 5 upper 0 curve 0 | resistance setting 10 lbs
Y DZ axis: lower 47 centre 5 upper 37 curve 0 | resistance setting 21 lbs

Smoother control, greater precision, little corrections are easier to do.

Thanks for the tip LD :D
So you have no curve at all? If you have LO set to 0,0,0 then your shift will be kind of jacked up...
kerdougan

Post by kerdougan » Wed Nov 25, 2009 6:27 pm

Oops, my mistake :oops: It's 50,0,0 in LO so no curve at all, just a straight line for pitch and roll. As I've found those settings today, they maybe need to be tuned a bit but the sensations are already great. The feeling is pretty different from a "curve driven" plane so you need to re-learn a few things to your muscles.
The Jet-E-Sons
Burner
Virtual Thunderbird Alumnus

Post by Burner » Thu Nov 26, 2009 5:45 pm

kerdougan wrote:Oops, my mistake :oops: It's 50,0,0 in LO so no curve at all, just a straight line for pitch and roll. As I've found those settings today, they maybe need to be tuned a bit but the sensations are already great. The feeling is pretty different from a "curve driven" plane so you need to re-learn a few things to your muscles.
I imagine so! It must be very touchy around the center. I'm with you though, I also like to be able to just bump in a little correction, however I do use some curve.