X-52 Owners

Discussions about Cockpits, Joysticks & Setups
dudeman750

X-52 Owners

Post by dudeman750 » Tue Nov 03, 2009 7:49 pm

I am new to formation flying here, long time combat guy.

I have an X-52 and found a ton of info on modding the hall's in it tonight. Evidently there are some magnet holders in it attached to a gear that adds some play in the positioning. These can be removed and attached directly to the plate behind them resulting in a zero play response.

I'm trying to learn to fly with this stick to see if it is possible. This mod seems applicable to anyone trying to do the same thing as I do. I just realized that when I am trying to fly either wing or slot, I am moving the stick a lot more than I probably need to. This results in a sore arm and not so precise flight path.

I will document this more when I try mine.
Razgriz

Re: X-52 Owners

Post by Razgriz » Tue Nov 03, 2009 9:00 pm

dudeman750 wrote:I am new to formation flying here, long time combat guy.

I have an X-52 and found a ton of info on modding the hall's in it tonight. Evidently there are some magnet holders in it attached to a gear that adds some play in the positioning. These can be removed and attached directly to the plate behind them resulting in a zero play response.

I'm trying to learn to fly with this stick to see if it is possible. This mod seems applicable to anyone trying to do the same thing as I do. I just realized that when I am trying to fly either wing or slot, I am moving the stick a lot more than I probably need to. This results in a sore arm and not so precise flight path.

I will document this more when I try mine.
Hey,

I'm a slot guy, and I have an X-52. I was thinking of getting a pro, but it's not worth it because I'm going to get a Cougar. What are some worthwhile X-52 mods?
Sawamura

Post by Sawamura » Wed Nov 04, 2009 7:41 am

For almost every formation pilot who uses the X-52, I would suggest to maintain your joystick by cleaning and oiling it (with some special oil for sure), to have an optimal smooth pull for loops and rolls.

Some time ago I posted about it in the VTS forum:
Click here
Beaker

Post by Beaker » Wed Nov 04, 2009 12:34 pm

If you're in the USA, you're probably not going to find "Ballisto Oil" at Home Depot, so I'll go ahead and suggest getting some kind of GREASE, not oil. Most White Lithium grease is excellent for use in vicinity of plastics, it does not break them down. Any grease that is not Petroleum-based should do okay. Do NOT use WD-40. Another plus to using grease instead of oil is that it will stay on the plastic plate and not dry off. Just use it in moderation so you don't have it oozing out all over the base of the stick! :lol:

Good luck! :D
Razgriz

Post by Razgriz » Wed Nov 04, 2009 5:28 pm

I actually use pam [cooking oil] to keep it lubed up. I need the correct curves for it also. Does anyone know of any hardware mods for it?
Beaker

Post by Beaker » Wed Nov 04, 2009 7:45 pm

It's an oil, so you'll have to reapply, but Pam is better than WD-40 because at least it's not petroleum-based. :lol: There are no set "curves" for each particular stick, it's just based on preference. Frazer posted this the other day, it might help you get started in finding what you prefer:

http://forum.virtual-airshows.com/index ... 446.0.html

As an example, I have no deadzones and more shallow curves than Frazer.