Thrustmaster MFD Cougar Pack

Discussions about Cockpits, Joysticks & Setups
Blaze

Thrustmaster MFD Cougar Pack

Post by Blaze » Mon Sep 14, 2009 5:57 pm

Coming out in mid-October from Thrustmaster is a pack of 2 MFD's with fully-programmable buttons. Retail price will be somewhere around $95 (compared to Aimsworth's MFD's which are around $1000). The screens don't work (just pictures) but this is a really neat and affordable idea.

Here's the product info page: Thrustmaster MFD Cougar Pack
Thrustmaster wrote:For diehard flight simulation fans, Thrustmaster is proud to offer a pack of 2 MFD Cougar modules, taking users another big step towards total immersion in flight sim games. The ideal companions for joysticks and yokes on the market, the MFD Cougar Pack lets virtual pilots enjoy more realistic flight conditions than ever before.

Lifelike replicas!

Thrustmaster, inventor of the joystick and responsible for major innovations such as the HOTAS Cougar and T.16000M, is continuing to expand its product range for flight sim fans with the launch of the Multi-Function Display Cougar Pack. The MFD Cougar is a panel of buttons and switches onto which the user can program their choice of functions for any given game. This revolutionary device therefore provides shortcuts which are far more practical and intuitive than the standard method of using a keyboard and mouse for various actions in games.

The MFD Cougar modules from Thrustmaster are replicas of those found onboard the legendary U.S. Air Force F-16 jet fighter aircraft. They are compatible with all military or civil flight simulation games supporting multi-USB.

Each of the 2 MFD modules in the pack features 20 buttons and 4 switches, for a total of 56 programmable controls! 2 programmable LEDs per MFD facilitate identification, in particular during programming phases. The programming interface can even accommodate up to 8 MFD modules at the same time. Finally, each MFD module features an internal memory, which saves all of your settings and preferences… even when used on a different computer.

Versatile, high-performance design!

The MFD modules feature a multi-position base, allowing users to adjust them to the perfect viewing angle. They are also weighted and equipped with non-slip grips for complete stability when using the controls. Both MFD modules are also detachable from their base: users can therefore attach them to a monitor if they wish, or to the inside of a simulated cockpit…[Gunner & STRIKER ;)]

The buttons are backlit and feature adjustable intensity (via the software or manually), allowing users to adapt the backlighting level to their preferred conditions and gaming environments.

The installation CD contains plug-ins which instantly configure both MFD modules for the Microsoft® games "Flight Simulator 2004" and "Flight Simulator X", with a choice of 3 presets: Generic/Light Aviation/Airliner: each control on the MFDs will be preconfigured for these games.

Each MFD module comes equipped with Plexiglas™ windows, between which the user can insert one of the 10 preprinted cardboard cutouts included in the pack. The different presets for Microsoft® Flight Simulator X are indicated on the cutouts, and blank cutouts are also included for customization with any other game. (I'm sure someone will eventually put small lcd displays behind them.)
Design is all about finding solutions within constraints.
Lawndart
Virtual Thunderbird

Post by Lawndart » Thu Oct 01, 2009 2:56 am

I think this will be a great addition to the Cougar lineup and for pit builders, the MFD-C should complement the H-C nicely.

Expect to hear more from us soon. Meanwhile, here's a first hand sneak preview! :wink:

Adjustable backlighting.
Last edited by Lawndart on Mon Nov 09, 2009 1:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gunner
Virtual Thunderbird

Post by Gunner » Fri Oct 02, 2009 7:03 pm

These have motivated me to go ahead with the front instrument panel and HUD, but in the meantime, they're still pretty cool just sitting on my aux panels! :wink:

Gunner
Virtual Thunderbird

Post by Gunner » Fri Oct 30, 2009 1:00 pm

Slid a couple 7" LCDs behind the bezel. (Sycmaster U70 fits perfect). Can't wait to get the front panel finished, but this works for now.

Beaker

Post by Beaker » Fri Oct 30, 2009 2:59 pm

Those are too cool Gunner! Nice job. You could just set em on your knees until you've got them mounted? :lol:
Gunner
Virtual Thunderbird

Post by Gunner » Fri Oct 30, 2009 4:11 pm

Beaker wrote:Those are too cool Gunner! Nice job. You could just set em on your knees until you've got them mounted? :lol:
That would work until the hard kick in the Trail to Diamond BUP. :wink:
Teej
Virtual Thunderbird

Post by Teej » Fri Oct 30, 2009 5:47 pm

Gunner wrote:
Beaker wrote:Those are too cool Gunner! Nice job. You could just set em on your knees until you've got them mounted? :lol:
No doubt. That's like stamping cockroaches. :D
Beaker

Post by Beaker » Sat Oct 31, 2009 1:32 am

Teej wrote:
Gunner wrote:
No doubt. That's like stamping cockroaches. :D
Man you Thunderbirds and your FOD in the cockpit! :lol: I don't think I even have to name the reference!
Blaze

Post by Blaze » Sat Oct 31, 2009 4:28 am

Beaker wrote:Man you Thunderbirds and your FOD in the cockpit! :lol: I don't think I even have to name the reference!
More like a Patriots reference now! ;)
Design is all about finding solutions within constraints.
Lawndart
Virtual Thunderbird

Post by Lawndart » Sat Oct 31, 2009 4:34 am

Once a Thunderbird, Always a Thunderbird... 8)

Just so everyone knows what we're talking about here (off topic), it's the video by Dean "Wilbur" Wright, Patriot No. 1 from back when he was the Lead Solo for the Thunderbirds during the 2000 season.

Gunner
Virtual Thunderbird

Post by Gunner » Thu Nov 05, 2009 12:41 pm

Added a few more pics with the Syncmaster U70's. The LCDs slide right behind the MFD bezel and are held in place by the back braces like they were made for each other. They fit so perfectly, the LCD is held right against the back of the bezel.

One catch: I didn't even realize it until I was doing the second one - you lose just over 1/2" vertically. :( Of course in an instrument panel it will be centered, but sliding it in on the base, it's all at the top.

Couple pics in better light to show what I mean.

Beaker

Post by Beaker » Thu Nov 05, 2009 2:40 pm

Gunner that's gorgeous! Have you considered turning the U70 on it's side and finding a way to rotate the screen output? You'd have a lot of bulk hanging off the top/bottom ends of the MFD frame but if it's going to be set into a forward cockpit panel, you could easily hide all that.
Tailhook
Virtual Thunderbird Alumnus

Post by Tailhook » Thu Nov 05, 2009 4:09 pm

I hate you Gunner......... :cry:

Very nice! 8)
Gunner
Virtual Thunderbird

Post by Gunner » Thu Nov 05, 2009 4:42 pm

Beaker wrote:Gunner that's gorgeous! Have you considered turning the U70 on it's side and finding a way to rotate the screen output? You'd have a lot of bulk hanging off the top/bottom ends of the MFD frame but if it's going to be set into a forward cockpit panel, you could easily hide all that.
Rotating the screen is very easy with the software, but you actually have more room in landscape orientation. If you rotate vertically you still lose the same amount, it's just side to side, and the LCD would interfere with the backup ADI & fuel flow gauge on the right, and RWR on the left.

And Tailhook, I hate you too. :wink:
Beaker

Post by Beaker » Thu Nov 05, 2009 6:57 pm

Gunner wrote:If you rotate vertically you still lose the same amount, it's just side to side...
Geometry Fail!