Worn in/out FLCS & TQS

Discussions about Cockpits, Joysticks & Setups
Lawndart
Virtual Thunderbird

Worn in/out FLCS & TQS

Post by Lawndart » Wed Aug 19, 2009 5:48 pm

This is my third year on the same F-16 FLCS grip, over two as a Solo, and now leading the formation (I used an NXT and a different handle the first year). Whenever someone asks again:
"How much practice does it take", I'm just going to forward a link to this post. ;)

Ironically my throttle looks brand spankin' new still. Not a mark, it's completely spotless with a glossy black finish. 8)
(Can't wait to see a pic of your throttle Gunner).

I'm halfway tempted to strip all the buttons, wiring and remove all paint from the handle and then have it chromed (just like the Thunderbirds jets sported a few seasons ago - see pic below).

Last edited by Lawndart on Wed Aug 19, 2009 8:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gunner
Virtual Thunderbird

Re: Worn in/out FLCS & TQS

Post by Gunner » Wed Aug 19, 2009 8:45 pm

Lawndart wrote: (Can't wait to see a pic of your throttle Gunner).
This was about a year before retiring it (about 1,200 hours on the wing):

And the corresponding glove:

Edit - this was six months later...
Tubs

Post by Tubs » Wed Aug 19, 2009 9:21 pm

Mines hardly picture worthy, but I have about a centimeter of chrome showing on the stick, I know I know impressive, but wait until you see the throttle, probably rockin 2 centimeters over there!!!
Lawndart
Virtual Thunderbird

Post by Lawndart » Wed Aug 19, 2009 11:02 pm

Tubs wrote:...I have about a centimeter of chrome showing on the stick
What I was thinking about was cleaning off the black paint so there's nothing but bare metal on the handle and then have it chromized (treated with a compound of chromium, as in dyeing), by a professional (i.e. one of those places where custom auto shops often take their parts, bumpers and trim, and make them all shiny). I may need to have the throttle done as well if I go for chrome though, just to have a matching pair... 8)
Tubs

Post by Tubs » Sat Aug 22, 2009 2:25 am

It doesn't really looked chromed, maybe just the top plate or something, but the sides still look black...just wondering though.
Ray
Virtual Thunderbird

Post by Ray » Sat Aug 22, 2009 10:58 am

Those are some worn in sticks for sure! I got a laugh out of that big hole in Gunner's glove - good stuff, a result of many hours of practice!

Having the setup chromed would look pretty slick. 8)

Oh, I want Gunner's pit.
Air_Wolf

Post by Air_Wolf » Sat Aug 22, 2009 2:07 pm

Ray wrote:Those are some worn in sticks for sure! I got a laugh out of that big hole in Gunner's glove - good stuff, a result of many hours of practice!

Having the setup chromed would look pretty slick. 8)

Oh, I want Gunner's pit.
Gunner's pit is awesome... I would love to have one like that too!!!

So today I am slowly putting my make shift pit together, hope you guys like it... Sunday should be finished, then I will finish getting the stick working I finished WinXP install last night early and all updates are in, just have to reload LOMAC and other sims.

Cheers
Ray
Virtual Thunderbird

Post by Ray » Sat Aug 22, 2009 4:35 pm

Air_Wolf wrote:
So today I am slowly putting my make shift pit together, hope you guys like it... Sunday should be finished, then I will finish getting the stick working I finished WinXP install last night early and all updates are in, just have to reload LOMAC and other sims.

Cheers
Awesome, bet you're looking forward to getting back in the air with the new setup, looking forward to flying with ya. 8)
Air_Wolf

Post by Air_Wolf » Sun Aug 23, 2009 11:00 am

Ray wrote:
Air_Wolf wrote:

Cheers
Awesome, bet you're looking forward to getting back in the air with the new setup, looking forward to flying with ya. 8)
Well, pit just needs two pieces and a paint job. I will do the paint job next weekend since it is a long weekend. I'm still having problems with my TM Cougar and getting very very very frustrated at this. I even wrote to Microsoft telling them of XP won't see or recognize the device, and I hope they have some promising answers. It's not helping that Frugals World seems to be down for a few days now as well.

Pit looks and feels cool and since I now know how and what to do, maybe I will build a much better one in the future.

Cheers! I miss flying with you guys, but will team up with you on Vent from time to time and once I get the TM Cougar to work you will never get me outta the air... :shock:
Lawndart
Virtual Thunderbird

Post by Lawndart » Sun Aug 23, 2009 11:27 am

Back on topic: Anyone else have any weathered controllers to show?
Beaker

Post by Beaker » Thu Sep 10, 2009 8:58 pm

Hah, I think this only happens to paint-on-metal controllers. I tend to beat sticks/throttles to death, but haven't had that kind of cool-factor! :lol: Looks good, LD. It's a trophy.