RS F/A-18 Cockpit in the works

Discussions about Cockpits, Joysticks & Setups
Lawndart
Virtual Thunderbird

RS F/A-18 Cockpit in the works

Post by Lawndart » Sun Jul 12, 2009 7:45 pm

It's no secret that Realsimulator, the makers of the FSSB, also build cockpit replicas of the F-16. (read more here and here)...

Click image for more info.

Click image for more info.

Now, they have concept drawings for F/A-18 cockpits on their website too (click here). One of these ought to make you drool (and wish you won the lotto)... :P

Sky Pig

Post by Sky Pig » Tue Feb 09, 2010 4:42 pm

How much would one of these things cost?? They are incredible.
Beaker

Post by Beaker » Tue Feb 09, 2010 4:49 pm

3, 4000 bucks? :lol:

I would be ready with the plastic if I won the lottery. Until then, they make nice pictures. Although I would rather have the Legacy cockpit for obvious reasons. :wink:

Really wish I had that stick grip most of all...
Lawndart
Virtual Thunderbird

Post by Lawndart » Tue Feb 09, 2010 5:32 pm

Supposedly the Thrustmaster Warthog and Cougar will have interchangeable FLCS grips, but use different throttles. Maybe someday there will be a Hornet stick handle too... 8)
Beaker

Post by Beaker » Tue Feb 09, 2010 6:25 pm

That would be a cool idea!
Ray
Virtual Thunderbird

Post by Ray » Tue Feb 09, 2010 7:21 pm

Would it be possible to frankenstien a Suncom F-15 stick onto your setup Beaker?
Sky Pig

Post by Sky Pig » Tue Feb 09, 2010 7:38 pm

Do any of the members fly the cockpit that is featured in the galley section of the home page (looks like the F-16 version) and if so, how much did that one cost?

I've got to tell you, I'm looking at some of the pictures of the simulators on this forum and it really blows my mind.

I flew Helos in the Marine Corps and before I got out, I got a back seat ride in an F-18 and also got to fly the F-18 simulator - I blew up a nuclear power plant. Nowadays I get my kicks by flying the Sega Strike fighter F-18 simulator at Dave and Busters.
Blaze

Post by Blaze » Tue Feb 09, 2010 9:14 pm

This is the pit I plan on hopefully buying when I move into my new apartment around the end of the year. Time to start saving up.

More info:
http://www.scsimulations.com/store/prod ... t-Kit.html

What's great about SC Simulations pits is you can buy them in "modules". So I could get the center pedestal and seat first, then add on the sides later, and fill in all the electronics as I go. If you wanted to buy the whole pit with the side consoles and ACESII seat it would be ~$1000.
Design is all about finding solutions within constraints.
Lawndart
Virtual Thunderbird

Post by Lawndart » Tue Feb 09, 2010 9:20 pm

Sky Pig wrote:Do any of the members fly the cockpit that is featured in the galley section of the home page (looks like the F-16 version) and if so, how much did that one cost?
You're referring to Gunner's Pit. I'm sure he can answer any specifics not found in that build thread, but I think it's safe to say - A LOT!
Gunner
Virtual Thunderbird

Post by Gunner » Wed Feb 10, 2010 9:42 am

Sky Pig wrote:Do any of the members fly the cockpit that is featured in the galley section of the home page (looks like the F-16 version) and if so, how much did that one cost?
That would be me...the major cost was time, didn't keep track, but it's in the hundreds of hours. I'm afraid to start adding up receipts, but total cost is somewhere between $10,000 - $15,000. It's crazy how the little things add up - the original ACES II kit I started with cost $400.00, but by the time I finished it was over $1,100. Hardware, seat cushions, parachute container, oxygen bottle, ejection handle, paint, hoses, fittings, paint, harness, paint, flight data recorder, and did I mention paint? (To get that real metal look, I used MANY cans of spray paint :wink: ) That was just the seat...the pit that Blaze mentions is a great place to start, (my front section comes from that kit) But be prepared to spend a bit for instruments, switches, etc...

Now that I've spent the time and money, I have a pretty realistic F-16 that costs nothing to fly! :D Last week I had a current F-15 pilot from Elmendorf AFB fly it for about an hour, and he said it's very close to the sims they use, with much better graphics. 8)

If you want the whole scoop on my build from the beginning, you can check out all 14 pages HERE.
Beaker

Post by Beaker » Wed Feb 10, 2010 2:08 pm

Ray wrote:Would it be possible to frankenstien a Suncom F-15 stick onto your setup Beaker?

Have that! :wink:
Sky Pig

Post by Sky Pig » Wed Feb 10, 2010 2:36 pm

Gunner,

Congrats that is one hell of a job - every bit as real looking at half the price. I'm afraid I would not have the skill to do what you did. Curious, does all the intrumentation function (navigation, comm, HUD, etc)?

Blaze,

Thanks for the website, that looks a little more doable from my perspective. Do you have any idea what the final costs might be to get it completed.

Any plans to add motion?

Thanks in advance.
Gunner
Virtual Thunderbird

Post by Gunner » Wed Feb 10, 2010 9:21 pm

Sky Pig wrote:Gunner,

Congrats that is one hell of a job - every bit as real looking at half the price. I'm afraid I would not have the skill to do what you did. Curious, Does all the intrumentation function (navigation, comm, HUD, etc)?
Every switch that has a function in the sim is functional, however getting feedback from Lock-On is still a challenge. Not a big deal for me - as left wing my world is Bosses missile rail, I never look down except after the High Bomb Burst and pitch for landing. If you are going to use your pit for Falcon, it makes sense to work on functional instruments, but remember, the cost and time goes up exponentially when you go that route. There are guys over at www.viperpits.org that have a LOT more money in their pits than I do. :shock:
thesimulatorstore

F/A-18 Simulator Cockpit Parts for Sale

Post by thesimulatorstore » Sat Mar 26, 2011 8:10 pm

We have high quality F/A-18 replica cockpit parts for sale for those that are looking to build their own F/A-18 flight simulator.

Take a look at: www.thesimulatorstore.com

Steve