Cougar issue

Discussions about Cockpits, Joysticks & Setups
Joker

Cougar issue

Post by Joker » Sat Jun 27, 2009 12:05 am

Hello everyone, any help provided will be greatly appreciated.

For a while now as I keep a steady pull on the stick it jitters forwards and backwards. Also, as I continue pulling it will continue at a steady pace and at one point it will jump from lets say 2.8 G's to 3.4G's very quickly.

I have tried the Cougar on both Vista and XP and get the same problem. I have tried cleaning it out, using wd-40, updating the firmware, re-calibrating and nothing has worked. So I am lost on what to do now. If you have any questions I'd be happy to answer them! Thanks again.

Also as a side note, I usually have to move the cables around to get the throttle to work, so maybe it has to do with the wires?
Tailhook
Virtual Thunderbird Alumnus

Post by Tailhook » Sat Jun 27, 2009 3:31 am

If it isn't a modded Cougar then you got some play developing. Normally it developes in the X axis first and not the Y. There's nothing you can do other than get a mod for it. That's probably something you didn't want to read, but if you get one I hear they are well worth the money. ;)
Lawndart
Virtual Thunderbird

Re: Cougar issue

Post by Lawndart » Sat Jun 27, 2009 5:41 am

Joker wrote:For a while now as I keep a steady pull on the stick it jitters forwards and backwards. Also, as I continue pulling it will continue at a steady pace and at one point it will jump from lets say 2.8 G's to 3.4G's very quickly.
Sounds like a dirty or spiking pot. There's a tutorial on how to clean out your pots on Cougar World. (I'd suggest searching in the forums). A spiking pot, however, needs to be replaced, but if your Cougar is still under warranty you can get the parts for free via TM support.
Joker wrote:Also as a side note, I usually have to move the cables around to get the throttle to work, so maybe it has to do with the wires?
Well... that's not normal. Regardless, I'd investigate that anomaly further, although I don't think this problem is related to your axis values stagnating or spiking. :?
Joker

Post by Joker » Sat Jun 27, 2009 1:13 pm

Thanks guys, I'm going to clean my pots and then give you an update on if it's been fixed or not. If not then I'll see what I can do to buy new pots ;)
Joker

Post by Joker » Sat Jun 27, 2009 1:49 pm

I wasn't sure exactly how to remove the pot casing. I made this video because I didn't want to damage anything.

Update: I got the pots cleaned up. I'm still encountering the same problem, and this Cougar is over a year old, so guess I should buy the mods for it or replace it. Thanks for the help LD.
Lawndart
Virtual Thunderbird

Post by Lawndart » Sat Jun 27, 2009 10:05 pm

If you've already cleaned (the inside) of your pots per the instructions and still no luck, I'd sign up and contact support for spare pots. Your Cougar has a two year warranty.

Technical support should be initiated through TM's support page for Cougars under warranty: http://ts.thrustmaster.com This requires you to complete an online form, and then you can add your requests from there.

Also, see this thread: Thrustmaster HOTAS Cougar Support