A Question on “flying the Hotas Cougar”

Discussions about Cockpits, Joysticks & Setups
Turkanator

A Question on “flying the Hotas Cougar”

Post by Turkanator » Fri Apr 10, 2009 12:22 am

I have a question about the Hotas Cougar; can you use the Cougar WITHOUT the throttle at all?

I know you are wondering why I would want to do that. Because I’m a disabled person, with a minor case of Cerebral Palsy which affects my left side, I have some use of my left hand but not good enough to use the throttle on the Cougar.

Another reason why I’m wondering if I can use Cougar WITHOUT the throttle at all, I had the ThrustMaster F16 FLCS (along with Falcon 3.0) back in the day, it was the best joystick I ever had.

Thanks,
Cobra
Virtual Thunderbird Alumnus

Post by Cobra » Fri Apr 10, 2009 4:38 am

You don't need to have the throttle (or more correctly the thrust lever) installed. It will still work. How are you going to control thrust though?
Turkanator

Post by Turkanator » Fri Apr 10, 2009 11:54 am

Cobra,

Controlling the thrust can be easy. Based on my used/knowledge of the FLCS, I put the thrust control on Hat 4 (The Thumb Hat) the up position was to increase thrust and down position was decrease thrust. Of course I had to give something else up by putting thrust control there.

If I may ask another question, where can I see/find a full diagram of the Cougar’s Buttons/Hats?

Thanks,
Lawndart
Virtual Thunderbird

Post by Lawndart » Fri Apr 10, 2009 12:23 pm

Visit the Mother Of All Stickies thread at the top of one of these forums. There are lots of Cougar info inside! ;)

And you're correct, you can turn virtually any button, hat or knob into an axis directly in Foxy through logical programming. "Cougar World" should have all the info you seek (link in the MOAS thread mentioned above).