A-10 Pit

Discussions about Cockpits, Joysticks & Setups
trprwheels

A-10 Pit

Post by trprwheels » Sat Feb 21, 2009 2:03 pm

Well, I live right near an Air National Guard base with A-10s, and I may be joining to try and get a pilot slot. So, I'm going to make a pit that can give me a feel of what it'll be like flying the Warthog. Does anyone have any recommendations on where I can find measurements from the Hog? I have several pictures of the cockpit, and I sat in one yesterday (a real one) so I know what it feels like.

I'm going to go for the whole nine yards because I have the room. I think I'm going to make an exact replica (even the outside of the pit) to where it looks like the simulators the A-10 pilots train on. I'm even going to make a canopy that can be lowered once I'm inside. I'll probably just make it with some cheap flexible plastic or just thin flexible plywood and just paint it so that it's dark inside the pit.

Any ideas?
Lawndart
Virtual Thunderbird

Post by Lawndart » Sat Feb 21, 2009 9:45 pm

Sounds like a unique and very cool project!

I remembered seeing a thread not too long ago that might be of help: ED Forums: Cockpit building: any blueprints?

Then there's this one: A-10A Thunderbolt II “Warthog” cockpit flightsimulator building site

Are you planning on building an A or C model pit?
trprwheels

Post by trprwheels » Sun Feb 22, 2009 2:18 am

Well, the models at the Guard base are the newer C models with the GPS and extra MFDU, so I'm going to go with the C model.
Lawndart
Virtual Thunderbird

Post by Lawndart » Sun Mar 08, 2009 10:51 pm

Here's are two additional threads that may help getting started on an A-10 Pit project.

ED Forums: A-10C cockpit
Frugal's World: HogBox A-10A Pit progress report