I just got myself a Cougar, could you help me please?

Discussions about Cockpits, Joysticks & Setups
Dr_Ripper

I just got myself a Cougar, could you help me please?

Post by Dr_Ripper » Thu Aug 14, 2008 5:11 am

Hey guys,

Just like to say how impressed I am with your flying skills in formation. Truely amazing and as good as the real thing in my mind.

As such, I decided my new joystick to be the Cougar as you guys also use it. My previous set-up was a Sidewinder Force Feedback 2 which despite the thrust lever sensitivity being rubbish, the force feedback is definitely something I miss.

I've installed everything I think I need (Vista 64 driver-wise) and even downloaded your VTB mod and installed it through Modman. Not sure what was supposed to happen after the install as I didn't see any changes to the game input. I then decided to try Foxy and ended up downloading the Lock On Flaming Cliffs config which has now made buttons and such on the Cougar into my second keyboard ( eeks :S ). Can't seem to turn it off.

I'm generally confused as to setting it up. I really hoped for it to work well out of the box but doing some modifying is not a problem, as long as it's set up perfect :P

Another issue I had was with the Flaming Cliffs elevation trim. Some how nothing works. I tried the hat switch and then the "Ant Elev" and still it doesn't register.

If anybody can give me some tips, anything, I'd be truely grateful. I know Frugalsworld is also a place to visit only the site is down and has been for a few days now.

I really look forward to any replies.

Ripper

[Edit]

I just spoke to a few people who have the x52 and was told of the x52 Pro. I had a quick peek at it online and I've got to say how "wow" it is. I didn't realise there was an x52 PRO with its metal components.

As I see it now, I've become lost in my conclusion as which joystick I should have. I see my Hotas Cougar, with its extremely nice replicate of the actual flight set-up and abundance of buttons etc and smooth nice metal feel. On the hand the cougar is very old, back from 2001. I know you guys use the Cougar but you also get sponsored by Thrustmaster to use them, so is the Cougar really the be-all-and-end-all? Or is the x52 a better or as good alternative. I do find the Cougar to be too stiff in the axis and I also know there is a mod that some of you guys have done to your cougar to alter the stiffness but with costs greater than the Cougar itself it seems pointless and better off to buy an x52. I really need your help guys, kinda "lost-in-translation" with my decision. :(
Lawndart
Virtual Thunderbird

Re: I just got myself a Cougar, could you help me please?

Post by Lawndart » Thu Aug 14, 2008 9:11 am

Dr_Ripper wrote:I've installed everything I think I need (Vista 64 driver-wise) and even downloaded your VTB mod and installed it through Modman. Not sure what was supposed to happen after the install as I didn't see any changes to the game input. I then decided to try Foxy and ended up downloading the Lock On Flaming Cliffs config which has now made buttons and such on the Cougar into my second keyboard ( eeks :S ). Can't seem to turn it off.
Hmmm... Ok. First off I don't think there are any 64-bit drivers for Vista and the Cougar, only 32-bit drivers. That could be the issue! Check with TM for new drivers.

The VTB mod that installs with ModMan is a LockOn mod (graphics, Tbird jets etc.) and has nothing to do with your joystick. The other file on our site is a Foxy profile and downloads to your stick like any other Foxy profile (check your manual for more info). Btw, Foxy emulation works as by creating macros and keystrokes off your keyboard, so in essence your Cougar is a pre-programmed keyboard when using Foxy profiles (as opposed to a DirectX input device).

Please check the MOTHER OF ALL STICKIES thread and its Cougar links. There's a lot of reading, but you'll learn from step one of installing through programming/downloading profiles to your joystick.

Dr_Ripper wrote:Another issue I had was with the Flaming Cliffs elevation trim. Some how nothing works. I tried the hat switch and then the "Ant Elev" and still it doesn't register.
If you are using "emulation" the Cougar sees whatever macros and keys you have programmed via Foxy for all its buttons and knobs. If you aren't using "emulation" the Cougar is a DirectX joystick and you need to set up the keys/features within LockOn to the corresponding button you'd like it to be. (Hat switch up = elevator trim down etc.).
Dr_Ripper wrote:I know you guys use the Cougar but you also get sponsored by Thrustmaster to use them, so is the Cougar really the be-all-and-end-all? Or is the x52 a better or as good alternative. I do find the Cougar to be too stiff in the axis and I also know there is a mod that some of you guys have done to your cougar to alter the stiffness but with costs greater than the Cougar itself it seems pointless and better off to buy an x52.
You really expect me to say anything but "Cougar" here?! :wink: All jokes aside though, I would still choose a Cougar even if we weren't sponsored. In fact, most of our members were using Cougars before the sponsorship started. (That was part of why we initiated the partnership). The software may be "old", but it is highly programmable if you take the time to learn Foxy. There's no limit what you can setup your buttons to do through macros and more. The joystick also works as any normal 28-button joystick if you prefer to simply set it up within the game itself. As far as mods go, yes we have FSSB mods. That's the other beauty of the Cougar, there's virtually no limit as to how much you can tweak your joystick whether it's ultimately going into a home built cockpit, or on your desk. In other words, you can achieve hardcore realism if that's what you're looking for or use it as any other joystick, but no other joystick on the market is as customizable or allows you to modify it to fit the hardcore enthusiasts needs and come really close to replicating the real stick in the F-16. Of course, if you feel the X52 is a better choice for you, the decision is yours but I can't help you with that.
Dr_Ripper

Post by Dr_Ripper » Thu Aug 14, 2008 10:14 am

Thanks Lawndart

I figured out my trim problem. Producer.cfg had the "force feedback=true" which for some reason affects trim and such. So I set it to "=false" and problem solved. How very strange.

Do you have any mods on your system by any chance? Perhaps the pentiometers mod or springs mod?

Oh and lastly, would any of you guys from Thunderbirds be willing to let me use your profile set-up for the Cougar in Lock On (key-maps etc).....please? Witha cherry on top :P
Redeye
Virtual Thunderbird

Post by Redeye » Thu Aug 14, 2008 1:29 pm

Below is a link to our Foxy profile Virtual Thunderbirds HOTAS Cougar Profile v03
http://www.virtualthunderbirds.com/files.html

Inside the zip are some jpg pictures, the joystick file .tmj, the macro file .tmm and the calibration file .tmc

Download and extract all to your C:program\Foxy\File folder. Once there, open Foxy and the profile v03.tmj
Look for download along the top menu. Select download to stick (F12), it should be the first choice in the menu.

Before you install the profile:
Be sure to follow the instructions to install CCP and Foxy.
Thumper
Virtual Thunderbird Alumnus

Post by Thumper » Fri Aug 15, 2008 12:23 am

If you need 64 bit drivers for the Hotas Cougar, click here. :wink:

Just make triple sure you have the 64 bit version of Vista before you install... I thought I had Vista 64 but it turned out that I actually have Vista 32... talk about headaches!
Dr_Ripper

Post by Dr_Ripper » Fri Aug 15, 2008 3:02 am

Thank you so much for the quick replies, they really help. I have the Cougar set-up as a like now. I even managed to get the ant elev set for pitch trim in lock on without it being too sensitive.

I know you guys use a 50%/10%/40% setup for both X/Y axis for the control column, but I couldn't use it easily during formation flight. I actually modded it to 35%/0%/35%, do you have any advice or reason I should change back to the 50%/10%/40%? or is this a personal preference? I just found 50% to be too stressful on my stick hand, having to pull all the way to get full roll and pitch. I was actually flying with Boss and 20 mins into the hardcore formation and my hand cramped bad. Couldn't shake it off for a minute... and what a painful minute it was.