What Pedals to use with HOTAS Cougar?

Discussions about Cockpits, Joysticks & Setups
Razor-71

What Pedals to use with HOTAS Cougar?

Post by Razor-71 » Tue Jul 08, 2008 9:43 am

Argh! My old Afterburner II from Thrustmaster has to be changed. I'm evaluating the HOTAS Cougar, as the best HOTAS to buy, but I don't know what type or brand of pedals to buy?

Have some tips please? Thank you!!!
Gunner
Virtual Thunderbird

Post by Gunner » Tue Jul 08, 2008 11:11 am

I use the Thrustmaster Elite pedals which plug right into the Cougar. I've tried several others, these center the best, and have a real good feel to them. No longer manufactured, but you can find them on ebay for around $50 - $100 US. If money is no object, and you can find them, Simpeds are awesome - 400.00+ EUR.
Razor-71

Post by Razor-71 » Tue Jul 08, 2008 11:21 am

Good! Thank you for you tips!!
I heard some about CH Pro Pedals? Do you know this type of pedals?
Lawndart
Virtual Thunderbird

Post by Lawndart » Tue Jul 08, 2008 1:39 pm

Here are some suggestions in my order of preference. SIMPEDs are the most realistic F-16 pedals, but availability right now may be questionable and they are extremely pricey! For the series pit builder only! Thrustmaster used to make RCS pedals and then later the Elite pedals, both of which are discontinued, however, you can frequently find them for sale on eBay. The TM products work great with the Cougar since they plug directly into the Cougar and can be tweaked with the Cougar software. CH pedals work really well too, but are independant of the Cougar and connect with its own USB cable. Many of our guys use CH pedals, as the TM gear is hard to find these days since it's no longer being manufactured (like Gunner said). Lastly, as another option there are Saitek rudders, but I have never used them and I'm not a big Saitek fan to begin with, but that's just my opinion...

SIMPED F-16+ rudders
Thrustmaster rudders (search) on eBay
Ch rudders
Saitek rudders
Razor-71

Post by Razor-71 » Tue Jul 08, 2008 2:04 pm

Wow! Thank you for this very clear reply. Now I'll take a look at single products and then in some days I'll make a decision...
Thank you again!! ;)
Frazer

Post by Frazer » Tue Jul 08, 2008 2:14 pm

Lawndart wrote:Here are some suggestions in my order of preference. SIMPEDs are the most realistic F-16 pedals, but availability right now may be questionable and they are extremely pricey! For the series pit builder only! Thrustmaster used to make RCS pedals and then later the Elite pedals, both of which are discontinued, however, you can frequently find them for sale on eBay. The TM products work great with the Cougar since they plug directly into the Cougar and can be tweaked with the Cougar software. CH pedals work really well too, but are independant of the Cougar and connect with its own USB cable. Many of our guys use CH pedals, as the TM gear is hard to find these days since it's no longer being manufactured (like Gunner said). Lastly, as another option there are Saitek rudders, but I have never used them and I'm not a big Saitek fan to begin with, but that's just my opinion...

SIMPED F-16+ rudders
Thrustmaster rudders (search) on eBay
Ch rudders
Saitek rudders
If you are going to choose between the CH rudders and the Saitek rudders, I would go for the Saitek. I own both and I'm far more happy with the Saitek rudders.

The Saitek has adjustable resistance, adjustable metal foot pedals and the pedals are wider apart. The Saitek also has a little longer range.
CH is only plastic and it comes at an even higher price.

If you have the money, or want to pay a huge amount for your hobby :lol: go for the SIMPED F-16+ rudders. It will fit better with the Cougar fully upgraded.
Though that all together will certainly go over 1000 Euro'$.

IMHO you have a great gear if you go for the Saitek X52Pro + Saitek Pedals + TrackIR4Pro. With this kit you can do everything you will ever need for a reasonable price.

The only two things that differences from more expensive sticks is a better feeling and they will likely last longer, though probably not without any problems.

Just my two Cents here, btw I've also owned the stock cougar. Only could enjoy it for 3 months. If you go for the cougar, go for the whole thing, fully modded.
Razor-71

Post by Razor-71 » Tue Jul 08, 2008 2:27 pm

Frazer wrote:...
IMHO you have a great gear if you go for the Saitek X52Pro + Saitek Pedals + TrackIR4Pro. With this kit you can do everything you will ever need for a reasonable price.
Just today, I look into Saitek website.
I have to take a decision... I've already used Saitek products, and I was satisfied.
The X-52 seems to be a very good stick and the price is half than the Cougar.
X-52 + Saitek pedals have the same price of the Cougar 'alone'.
Mmmhhhh... tonight I have some to think.
Thank you for your reply ;) it will help me for sure in my decision.
Frazer

Post by Frazer » Tue Jul 08, 2008 8:07 pm

I hope you mean the X52Pro.
There doesn't seem to be much of an improvement between the normal X52 and the Pro version but there is. It will last longer and it is a bit stiffer.

By the way, a good tip to maintain X52Pro, clean it like once a week or two.
Clean it where it is red and use a little amount of Ballistol on the green, touching parts.

You probably can buy Ballistol (gun oil) in any military store.

That is basicly all you need to do to keep it running perfectly smooth and your X52Pro will last for ages :wink:
Razor-71

Post by Razor-71 » Wed Jul 09, 2008 2:39 am

:D Wow, nice tips Frazer, very professional maintenance of the stick!!!
Today I'll surf through the web to find an online shop in Italy to compare prices... but, what are the main differences between X52 and X52 PRO? I see the price is 119 euros (X52) and 140 euros (PRO VERSION). Additional functions or materials and other?
Frazer

Post by Frazer » Wed Jul 09, 2008 4:06 am

Some critical parts which worn-out quick have been replaced with metal.
Saitek also solved some errors which occur with the X52.
Other than that there are two springs which give some more resistance and a less bobble feeling.

For that price difference, it would not make sense to choose X52 over the Pro because of money :wink:
Razor-71

Post by Razor-71 » Wed Jul 09, 2008 4:10 am

I agree absolutely, for about 20 euros of difference the choice has to be the X52 pro...
Now I'm surfing to find the best web price, and I'm thinking a little more if Cougar or X52Pro :D
Frazer

Post by Frazer » Wed Jul 09, 2008 5:30 am

I would buy it at SimWare Simulations in Belgium. You may pay a little bit more than the cheapest you can find on the net but it is a very reliable shop. Good service also and I never heared any negatives about this shop.

Saitek X52 Pro & Pro Flight Rudder Bundle
Track IR4Pro
Order it in one package and you only pay shipping once :wink:

Good luck! 8)
Razor-71

Post by Razor-71 » Wed Jul 09, 2008 5:48 am

Thank you very much for your professionality ;)
Great links!!!
I'm looking now...
Lawndart
Virtual Thunderbird

Post by Lawndart » Wed Jul 09, 2008 3:15 pm

@Razor-71, glad you found some rudders (and more)!

OT: Btw, maybe this is a European thing IDK, but you guys don't have to "quote" someone's entire post every reply in a thread. That makes for a lot of re-reading. Just hit post reply unless, there's something specific you want to qoute that someone said and then comment on it. 8)

Example:
Razor-71 wrote:Thank you very much for your professionality
You mean professionalism? :wink:
Frazer

Post by Frazer » Wed Jul 09, 2008 5:43 pm

Lawndart wrote:@Razor-71, glad you found some rudders (and more)!

OT: Btw, maybe this is a European thing IDK, but you guys don't have to "quote" someone's entire post every reply in a thread. That makes for a lot of re-reading. Just hit post reply unless, there's something specific you want to qoute that someone said and then comment on it. 8)

Example:
Razor-71 wrote:Thank you very much for your professionality
You mean professionalism? :wink:
I think quoting is cool :lol:
I think quoting is cool :lol:
Just kidding :wink: