HS1™ Throttle Kit

Discussions about Cockpits, Joysticks & Setups
Panther
Virtual Thunderbird

HS1™ Throttle Kit

Post by Panther » Tue Jun 17, 2008 12:59 am

I purchased the HS1™ Throttle Kit from Cubby and I must say that it is the best fix ever to the throttle. I was experiencing a dead zone when moving the throttle back and forwards with the stock pot, well after installing the Hall Sensor the dead zone is no more. Matter of fact I now have precise control of the throttle input.

This mod is a must have for anyone wanting total precise control in their throttle. Can't beat the price either, which is about $80 shipped.
Redeye
Virtual Thunderbird

Post by Redeye » Tue Jun 17, 2008 1:20 pm

OK Stephanie, I sent an email to place an order. 8)
Does he use paypal?

It bugs me when I check Foxy and see the throttle jumpy at best. Changing the stock pots works for a while, but it slowly gets sticky again until it actually spikes. :roll:

Don't know why I waited so long to do this, but your post made me think of the basics. Managing speed with the boss. To have precise control of your throttle allows everything else to fall into place and make sense.

Thanks for the push! :wink:
Lawndart
Virtual Thunderbird

Post by Lawndart » Tue Jun 17, 2008 2:40 pm

I've never had any throttle deadzones (sound like a dirty pot BTW), spiking or pot go bad on me - but, I just sent an email to Cubby! Why wait for the inevitable to happen? Besides, I wanted to make sure I got a HS kit for the throttle while they are still available. Who knows if Cubby will still be selling these in another five years?

This completes my HOTAS with a Force Sensor Stick Base, and nothing but Hall Sensors for the remaining controls (incl. the rudders), which is really what made up my mind. Thanks for the info Panther!
Burner
Virtual Thunderbird Alumnus

Post by Burner » Tue Jun 17, 2008 2:59 pm

I too have never had a throttle pot spike or null zone, but it does bother me to have Halls in the rudder, strain guages in the stick and a plain jane pot in the throttle. What has stopped me from getting the last Hall is the short throw on the Cougar throttle. My goal is to get an F-16 replica throttle to have the substatially larger range of motion and no sticking throttle friction. Maybe a Hall sensor for the Cougar throttle and a friction mod at the same time would provide the control I'm looking for. :)
Lawndart
Virtual Thunderbird

Post by Lawndart » Tue Jun 17, 2008 3:16 pm

Speaking about fricition, I have my friction lock all the way to the stop on the "no-friction" side and with some precision lube it moves very smoothly. I even thought about removing it completely as mentioned either on Cubby's site or Cougar World somewhere. It's totally a preference thing, but when I fly in real life I hardly use any friction on the throttles and they move extremely softly. The throttle on my Cougar, when lubed up and with no friction lock moves with almost as much ease. If I put the handle on top (middle) and flick it forward with my pinky, it falls all the way into full burner past two detents. It's just that loose...

Makes formation flying more about your stick hand! ;)

P.S. I sometimes tighten up the friction a little bit at times when I need to use my left hand for other things (generally not while flying formation or leading as my hand is always on the throttle those times).
Burner

Post by Burner » Tue Jun 17, 2008 3:51 pm

Yeah, it's the Cougar's high weight that makes things difficult. Enough friction to keep it from flopping around and you now have too high and static friction to overcome making your throttle inputs sloppy. I too keep the friction at just a couple turns shy of minimum resistance. The idea with a precise throttle is you should be able to move it fore/aft with just the palm of your hand or your fingertips. Static and moving friction should be as equivalent as possible to make bumping the throttle up one or two percent smooth and precise.

I'm still thinking that 3M has to have some inexpensive tape that is made for low friction purposes. I never liked the tutorial on Frugal's suggesting aluminum foil and lube to fix the friction problem.
Panther
Virtual Thunderbird

Post by Panther » Tue Jun 17, 2008 5:44 pm

I like a little friction on the throttle but my friction was gone, at the highest setting the throttle would fall over into afterburner. I purchased the friction mod from Cubby, which is some tape and grease. Now I have the friction back.

Yes Redeye, Cubby does accept Paypal.

You guys will love this mod.
Redeye
Virtual Thunderbird

Post by Redeye » Fri Jun 20, 2008 2:40 pm

No Reply from Cubby from my email. :cry:

LD... did you get a reply?
Lawndart
Virtual Thunderbird

Post by Lawndart » Fri Jun 20, 2008 4:47 pm

Nada yet. I sent a second email a minute ago. Seems the people that make the best parts (ACES II, sim peds, Hall Sensors etc.) are always hard to get a hold of...
Panther
Virtual Thunderbird

Post by Panther » Fri Jun 20, 2008 9:00 pm

Don't panic, he took a while to reply to my order request. I think it was within a week from request email. The sensor is made after order so you will probably see about a 2 month turn around. Cubby will let you know when it's ready and will ask for your payment at completion.
Redeye
Virtual Thunderbird

Post by Redeye » Wed Jul 02, 2008 11:32 am

I recieved an email stating its ready :D Cubby added the Anti-Static Friction Fix for $10 :?: He's either got to many or thinks it will really help :!:

Anyway, its $99 total including $17 shipping. Sending my payment :wink:
Lawndart
Virtual Thunderbird

Post by Lawndart » Tue Jul 15, 2008 9:41 pm

Got my kit last week, but didn't have time to install it until now. Just followed Cubby's extremely detailed instructions and everything installed perfectly. I even had to adjust the HS positioning on the bracket for max/min voltage values outside the parameters of the firmware, so it took a little longer to get everything setup, but his instructions worked 100%. I also installed the friction mod and the throttle feels great now. Moves with ease and stops where you need it to, regardless of friction setting (high or low). I'd highly recommend the HS1™ Throttle Kit and the friction mod. My throttle was working just fine before I installed the kit, but I can still feel a difference in precision. You can't beat having a Hall Sensor... and the throttle feels very realistic now when you move it!
Redeye
Virtual Thunderbird

Post by Redeye » Fri Jul 18, 2008 7:46 pm

@ Burner....... everyone,
The Anti-Static Friction Fix for your throttle is what you're looking for. It allows the smoothest application of 1%. 8) It's just a piece of tape (like scotch tape) only it has a lubricant feel to it and is 1" wide. Wrap it around the area where the friction arm/pad rubs on the throttle cyclinder.

I say this because you could purchase this locally where they sell 3M products.

BTW, I'm thinking of ordering another kit for my second throttle. :wink:
Redeye
Virtual Thunderbird

Post by Redeye » Tue Jul 29, 2008 3:08 pm

Well I found out the UHMW-PE polyethlene tape (ultra high molecular weight) is $206 CND a roll. :shock: No wonder I only received a short 2 inch piece from Cubby. He gives just enough to wrap around the throttle clyinder where the brake rubs.

Conclusion:
If you order his HS1™ Throttle Kit, get the Anti-Static Friction Fix for $10 :wink:
Whack

Post by Whack » Wed Jul 30, 2008 10:00 am

Folks.

I am in the process of installing the Cubby Hall Sensor for the throttle and just finished the screw kit for the stick. While I haven't gotten to see the advantages of the hall sensor yet, this guy's attention to detail with the installation instructions and the overall way this kit is put together is really awesome.

In a community where some take advantage of their clients, Cubby really produces a top-quality kit and provides great customer service. You should be able to order from this guy with confidence.