Striker's Pit

Discussions about Cockpits, Joysticks & Setups
STRIKER
Virtual Thunderbird Alumnus

Striker's Pit

Post by STRIKER » Fri Feb 15, 2008 5:36 pm

And so it begins!

Thanks to Gunner's tremendous help I have officially started my pit. Now it's been on and off for the last 5 months, but the latest addons I have done to it really have put that pitbuilder bug in my ear to get this thing done. Now I know with my deployed schedule this thing won't be done for quite a while and I thought it at least deserved a thread and of course pics of my progress. I am currently seating the Aces II on the platform (exact 30 deg incline demands time for perfection) and then I will complete the consoles and really go in to detail on the seat and everthing else. BTW, I suck at wood shop stuff so that fact that it's together is a miracle in and of itself. Overall, I just hope to not embarrass Gunner with my terrible woodskills and hope this thing turns out OK.

The seat... notice here working on cutting out the middle two vertical/center beams on the backseat to get the lumbar support right (thanks Gunner).

Stang's latest seat came with a newly molden headrest that is great but still requires some creative skills to properly place it.

Moving along and a couple months later here is the latest pic of the seat in the office awaiting proper mounting.
Gunner
Virtual Thunderbird

Post by Gunner » Fri Feb 15, 2008 5:56 pm

Looking great STRIKER! Your lumbar area looks perfect... I'm glad I caught you before you skinned that puppy! It will be nice to see your progress. :D
Convertible

Post by Convertible » Sat Feb 16, 2008 1:44 am

Way to go Striker. Can't wait to see the progress.

Con
Luse

Post by Luse » Sat Feb 16, 2008 2:27 am

Something tells me I will want one by the time it's done.
Atlas

Post by Atlas » Sat Feb 16, 2008 9:36 am

Nice Striker....now I am just looking at what I have been delaying on building. :lol: I better get on it now.
Ells

Post by Ells » Mon Feb 18, 2008 4:44 am

Great start bud, looking forward to the pics :D
STRIKER

Post by STRIKER » Wed Mar 05, 2008 11:44 pm

Nothing to new to report. Finished the baseplate and left console box. I just wanted to put in a quick and final update until I get back from my deployment. I soo looked forward to continuing the project while away... nothing says I cant order parts now does it? :wink:

LEFT CONSOLE IN PLACE - the console is totally flat and square but I only shot it with one coat of paint hence the light gray emerging from some of the white filler. Looks like it's gonna need one more coat of paint.

Gunner
Virtual Thunderbird

Post by Gunner » Thu Mar 06, 2008 8:17 am

VERY NICE!
If you keep this up, you're gonna make me look bad! :wink: I love the way you've got the front curved. As near as I can tell from the pic, the angles and height are perfect!Image
STRIKER

Post by STRIKER » Thu Jul 24, 2008 1:19 pm

Wow, I can't believe its been so long since I've updated this thing. Guess that's what 2 back to back deployments will do to you. Here are a couple updated pictures of my pit. I've finally moved it into the spot in my office and I'm finishing up the right console. Next is the center pedestal. Bad Boy is working on my FSSB stick base and I'm also working on modifying the cougar throttle (besides Cubby's stuff to it) so it will look and act like its supposed to in the pit.

Metro

Post by Metro » Thu Jul 24, 2008 2:52 pm

Wow. Looks great Sritker. Did you make your side consoles from scratch? Where did you find the extraction chute assembly? Keep up the good work.
Metro
Burner

Post by Burner » Thu Jul 24, 2008 5:22 pm

Nice job Striker, the angle and finish where the right aux meets the top turned out smooth.

Your last update the seat didn't even have a pad on it- much more comfortable now. :lol:

STRIKER

Post by STRIKER » Sun Nov 02, 2008 3:10 pm

Nothing terribly new to report. Actually started up on the pit again since I've moved and got the control stick/base installed and op ck'd along with the rudder pedals. little things here and there. Also got the cp boxed in. Pretty much working on the throttle assembly since thats the last major piece I have left before working on the panels.

Blaze

Post by Blaze » Tue Nov 04, 2008 8:14 am

Amazing work Striker! :shock: Can't wait to start building my own. ;)
Design is all about finding solutions within constraints.
Ells

Post by Ells » Tue Nov 04, 2008 5:26 pm

Looks superb bud, good job!
STRIKER

Post by STRIKER » Tue Dec 30, 2008 1:14 am

Quick update... Just installed the TrackIR/42" Sharp Aquos and tweaked everything to work perfect. Next up is the panels/ and finish the throttle. I'm currently running everything off my laptop since my desktop is getting ready to be upgraded.

Cheers!