Cougar Throttle Help

Discussions about Cockpits, Joysticks & Setups
Ells

Cougar Throttle Help

Post by Ells » Mon Dec 03, 2007 6:03 am

Need some help please guys.

I'm using the Cougar settings as in the zip file on your downloads site.

I'm finding the jump from 90% throttle up to the Cougar click is fine, but when it clicks over it jumps to about 95% with the last 5% up to the next click.
I quite often need to get in-between the two and 'hover' between 90 and 95% to keep in slot with The Boss which means hovering on the click, which I find quite hard to maintain as it moves over the click.

What's the best option to change - D-Zone or Shift to reduce the throttle on the plane so at the third click (currently 90%) I achieve 100% throttle?
And will this affect the lower end throttle when coming in for slow passes?
Thumper
Virtual Thunderbird Alumnus

Post by Thumper » Mon Dec 03, 2007 8:21 am

Actually what I did was open up my throttle and change the physical detent settings. It isn't hard to do at all. I have my upper detent set so that the first click puts me at Mil Power and pushing past the second click puts me in Min Burner.

By setting my upper detent that way my throttle "sweet spot" where most of the formation work is done is "click free". Also, if you start playing with curves and DZ's it is going to effect much more than the small part of the throttle range that you want to fix.

For instructions on changing your physical detent settings: Click Here

I couldn't believe the difference in throttle control that simple fix made for me. Hope that helped.
Ells

Post by Ells » Mon Dec 03, 2007 10:37 am

Thumper, you da man, many thanks.
I'll try this tonight.
Thumper
Virtual Thunderbird Alumnus

Post by Thumper » Mon Dec 03, 2007 11:27 am

No problem, Ells. You won't believe the difference a simple adjustment like that will make in your flying. It was like night and day for me. A bad detent setting really wrecks you for smooth throttle inputs and mine was right in the middle of normal throttle range for formation flying...ARGH!!! :shock:
Lawndart
Virtual Thunderbird

Post by Lawndart » Mon Dec 03, 2007 2:38 pm

Also see Hardware tips - Adjusting the throttle detents at Cougar World. For LockOn I set my detents to exactly Full MIL and the other to 96%. I hardly ever fly with a power setting more than 95% unless I'm using Full MIL or beyond that detent in afterburner. It lets me know by tactile feedback alone when I'm in Full MIL, AB-range or even if I'm below 96%, where almost the entire time is spent on the wing (unless you're a wingman who's deep in the formation while maneuvering).
Ells

Post by Ells » Tue Dec 04, 2007 10:43 am

Thanks LD, I'll give those settings a go.
We don't use the AB on the Hawks (as they don't have one) and I find that setting the shift to the left affects a few other things, so I'll make sure one of the detents is just before AB (which I think it is now?)

And I'm slot pretty much all the time, except for a few manouevers on the wings and lead Synchro (solo), but great advice thanks.