FSSB Help

Discussions about Cockpits, Joysticks & Setups
Redeye
Virtual Thunderbird

Post by Redeye » Wed Apr 23, 2008 3:11 pm

Yes thanks LD. I have seen the threads and tried everything. :( I just sent an email to Whacks contact this morning. Packaged my unit for shipping and now feel like a one ball man.

Waiting for a reply before sending via normal mail.
Rotorblade

Post by Rotorblade » Wed Apr 23, 2008 6:44 pm

I never sent mine off, I somehow got it to go back to center but that was after taking it all apart, checking everything out, and putting it back together. I have had the same issues exactly as Redeye explained.

It's been a while since I had these issues and some of the problems are starting to return. Just the other night I was in the calibration and the y axis was around 260 and should have been right on 330. I unplugged the cougar, reseated the handle, and plugged it into a different USB port and it went back to center for the time being.

I check my cougar's input before each flight with the Foxy Analyzer and I have seen this problem grow slightly over time.

I am trying to hold of on sending mine in and I fear it is only a matter of time.
Redeye
Virtual Thunderbird

Post by Redeye » Thu Apr 24, 2008 11:36 am

I recieved a email from Mr Sotes. He stated my warranty is void and i will have to pay for the repairs. He is sending the return information and then it will be shipped via normal post asap.
Burner
Virtual Thunderbird Alumnus

Post by Burner » Thu Apr 24, 2008 1:58 pm

Have you tried a full reinstall and recal? Now that you'll have to pay for it you may want to try and fix it yourself.

I would concentrate on either increasing the friction around the calibration screw or remounting it so that the FSSB sits as perfectly flat against the four mounting points as possible. What re-mounting may do for you is change the calibration screw's position and move it into a region that does not have a tendency to drift.

The calibration screw is there to elliminate any forces that are put on the load cell by the mounting of the FSSB itself, so a remounting will give you a new set of forces to be calibrated out. If you go the extra step and use washers to make sure the FSSB sits flat on the bolt holes without having to bend then you'll really get a different set of forces and a radically different calibration screw position.
Lawndart
Virtual Thunderbird

Post by Lawndart » Thu Apr 24, 2008 3:44 pm

Burner wrote:Have you tried a full reinstall and recal? Now that you'll have to pay for it you may want to try and fix it yourself.
Straight out of the redneck dictionary: "Jimmy rig it Johnny"!

Sounds like a potential electrical problem to me (no ground), which means it could be the stick CB. If you haven't sent it off yet, you could plug the FSSB into your spare and see if it retains center values. Check the ground wire too...

I wouldn't waste too much time though. The faster you ship it off, the sooner you'll have a working unit again.
Gunner
Virtual Thunderbird

Post by Gunner » Thu Apr 24, 2008 5:49 pm

Burner wrote: The calibration screw is there to elliminate any forces that are put on the load cell by the mounting of the FSSB itself, so a remounting will give you a new set of forces to be calibrated out. If you go the extra step and use washers to make sure the FSSB sits flat on the bolt holes without having to bend then you'll really get a different set of forces and a radically different calibration screw position.
Red, I did just that when mine was installed in the Cougar base - it took two very thin washers on opposite corners, and the FSSB sat very solid. Now that it is in a custom machined base in the pit it is perfectly flat - maybe that's why I haven't had any problems with mine, even though my settings are maxed. :wink:
Redeye
Virtual Thunderbird

Post by Redeye » Fri Apr 25, 2008 11:23 am

Just got another email from Mr Sotes. 40 euro = $65 canadian to repair the Y potenciometer plus the shipping cost.

Thanks everyone for the tips, but the unit was working for over 2 years so I don't think it's the mounting or anything else. I'm sure it's the Y pot and it will have to go back for repairs.

At this point I'm thinking of ordering the FSSB R2 as my main unit and used the repaired R1 as a backup.
Lawndart
Virtual Thunderbird

Post by Lawndart » Fri Apr 25, 2008 6:00 pm

There is literally no difference in feel between the R1 and R2, having used both myself; however, I had to send my R1 back once - and in almost two years now, I have yet to have a single issue with the R2. That doesn't mean anything per se, but just FYI...
Redeye
Virtual Thunderbird

Post by Redeye » Mon Apr 28, 2008 2:09 pm

Just ordered the R2 unit for $785.15 canadian.....wow :shock:

Waiting ............nope..........not here yet?! :cry:
Redeye
Virtual Thunderbird

Post by Redeye » Wed Apr 30, 2008 11:13 am

After ordering the R2, Bartolome contacted me via email to offer a repaired R1 unit for 140 eur + 25 shipping. It comes with a full 2 yr warranty.
I took the offer, repaired R1 is on its way. :)
I will send my broken R1 in for repairs once it arrives. My second unit will become a backup unit for myself and Boss. :wink:
Burner
Virtual Thunderbird Alumnus

Post by Burner » Wed Apr 30, 2008 6:20 pm

Glad to hear that RealSim takes care of their customers Red. Its also nice to know that in a pinch I could fork over a grand and have an R1 and R2 shipped to me immediately.

Enjoy your new R2 Red!
Redeye
Virtual Thunderbird

Post by Redeye » Sat May 03, 2008 10:26 am

:evil:
UPS delivered my R1 yesterday and I was out walking the dog. I missed the guy by 3 mins. :roll: Now it's stuck in some trailer in their warehouse for the weekend and I can't get it till Monday. It also will cost $31.30 COD after I already paid $39 shipping fees to RSimulator.

I'm dissapointed because I asked them not to send it by courier. Is there something I'm missing... do they not have regular mail? :roll:
Redeye
Virtual Thunderbird

Post by Redeye » Wed May 07, 2008 12:02 pm

:) OK... things are better now. 8)

The (new) repaired R1 comes with a full 2 year warranty and it's just the force sensor round disk. It's missing the metal base that the stick handle screws onto. It is easily removed with 4 screws and re-fitted onto the new R1.

BTW, $31.30 COD = taxes :roll:

Time to send in my broken R1 for repairs. It will be a backup unit for Rock and myself.