Playseats Racing Seats

Post by Lawndart » Thu Aug 16, 2007 2:14 am

Evolution model
ImageImage

Classic model
ImageImage

http://www.playseats.com/

Also sold @ Amazon.com GoGamer.com Radio Shack

I was surfing around for racing gear and came across this Playseat Evolution/Classic Racing Seat. Anyone heard anything good or bad about them? Was thinking how easy it would be to design some addon side consoles for a HOTAS setup as well. There's an accessory they sell for the Logitech G25 shifter knob and I believe you drill some holes in the base and then attach an arm with a flat metal top on the side of the chair. I'm thinking with some similar "home designs" this could be a sleek HOTAS/Racing setup for the budget minded pit builder!?

@ $299 it certainly won't kill ya. Add some velcro on the top table to place your wireless keyboard on when flying and then get a monitor stand for your LCD TV in front of it all. The seatback folds down too for easier storage if needed.
Convertible
Virtual Thunderbird Alumnus

Post by Convertible » Thu Aug 16, 2007 2:23 am

Great find LD. My boss at work has one of these, or something similar to it, in his home. He is a avid race car simulator fan. He loves it.

Con
Lawndart
Virtual Thunderbird

Post by Lawndart » Thu Aug 16, 2007 2:37 am

I'm about this [" "] close to dumping doe on it to find out myself! 8) It would definitely fit well in my "manroom". :P
Ells

Post by Ells » Thu Aug 16, 2007 5:18 am

For the UK pilots out there...

I'm lining up to get this one at Christmas.

http://www.flightstore.co.uk/pilot_flig ... m_id.2714/

Racer

Post by Racer » Thu Aug 16, 2007 6:30 am

Oooooo.....I like that. 8)
The biggest issue I see with these is no armrests.
That would make it slightly tougher to stay smooth in formation.
Gunner
Virtual Thunderbird

Post by Gunner » Thu Aug 16, 2007 9:03 am

LD, The electronics store I get most of my goodies from has those - they would work just fine if you added some home made side consoles. Ironically, I did not purchase one because of cost! :shock: :lol: :lol:
Burner

Post by Burner » Thu Aug 16, 2007 9:38 am

DO NOT buy that seat for flying purposes. I undertook a similar experiment using an AK Rocker gaming seat that has a similar race seat configuration. I built a simple mount to remove the rocking movement and the chair did work perfectly for racing games, however flight sims posed a unique problem. The chair is, after all, modelled after a race car seat- which is ment to hold your body during LATERAL G's. To accomplish this they add those big wings on the sides of the seat to push against your shoulders and arms holding you during cornering. These wings don't have any negative aspects when racing b/c your arms are moving up and down as you turn the steering wheel left and right. However when flying your arm, especially your throttle arm, is not moving up and down its moving fore/aft and these wings do nothing except get right in the way. If you look at a modern ejection seat you can see its just wide enough to support the back giving the arms total fore aft freedom- this is purposeful. I considered cutting the wings off but it looks like (for that particular seat anyway) that the perimeter of the plastic mold comprises the bulk of structural rigidity and that cutting the wings would weaken the top half of the seat enough for it to collapse backwards :( So now its my reading seat/rocking chair on the porch :)

Anyway, sorry to rain on the parade but I didn't want anyone dropping $300 only to find out its not really suited for flight sims. The metal structure itself would probably work fine if the seat was swapped out but at that point you could just take a picture and some basic measurements to your local welder and he could whip up a replica for probably half the price.
Ells

Post by Ells » Thu Aug 16, 2007 12:26 pm

LD did say racing seats, I thought it would do both so posted the flight seat here in the UK.

Thanks for the heads up though Burner.
Lawndart
Virtual Thunderbird

Post by Lawndart » Thu Aug 16, 2007 2:12 pm

Good point about bucket seats there Burner. Wasn't considering that, but I'll have to admit I'm still tempted to get one anyway, since "I feel the need... for speed" (recently bitten by the racing bug again). 8)
Burner

Post by Burner » Thu Aug 16, 2007 3:10 pm

We should find a good kart track around here and start practicing up for our annual Vegas Run 8)

I've been getting back into rFactor in the meantime, I think Thump and Cinch are down to start our mini-league back up once Cinch gets back from the Father Land.
Rhino

Post by Rhino » Thu Aug 16, 2007 3:53 pm

Burner wrote:We should find a good kart track around here and start practicing up for our annual Vegas Run 8)

I've been getting back into rFactor in the meantime, I think Thump and Cinch are down to start our mini-league back up once Cinch gets back from the Father Land.
How about a VTB vs. VBA mini-league....GTR2?
Phantoms Phorever!
Lawndart
Virtual Thunderbird

Post by Lawndart » Thu Aug 16, 2007 5:23 pm

Rhino wrote:How about a VTB vs. VBA mini-league....GTR2?
How about we fly for each other first too (and swap the annual baseball game for some racing)? :wink:
Talon

Post by Talon » Fri Aug 17, 2007 10:25 pm

Ah GTR2! That would be great... competitive yet not related to what we do here and would be alot of fun to boot!
NGT class, I have the Porsche done for us, and will be creating the other class skins for our VBA team with our own flight numbers on the side and flag related to current country living in (Kwibi = Canada, Shifty =Australia, the rest of us USA). This one is mine as denoted by the 03 number.

I'm in!
:D
Ells

Post by Ells » Mon Aug 20, 2007 12:22 pm

That's really sweet and great fun to see your number on the car screaming around the track.

So can we expect to see a synchornised racing formation display lol

Trail to diamond 360 handbrake

Opposing chicane break

hehe
Rhino

Post by Rhino » Mon Aug 20, 2007 1:22 pm

Ells wrote:That's really sweet and great fun to see your number on the car screaming around the track.

So can we expect to see a synchornised racing formation display lol

Trail to diamond 360 handbrake

Opposing chicane break

hehe
There is one already, its called Talladega/Daytona Nascar Superspeedway racing.
Phantoms Phorever!