Rudder pedals not recognized any more...

Discussions about Cockpits, Joysticks & Setups
Gunner
Virtual Thunderbird

Rudder pedals not recognized any more...

Post by Gunner » Mon Jun 04, 2007 12:36 pm

Yesterday a friend came over, and he wanted to try some mud pounding in the A-10, so I tried loading a different profile to the cougar...Long story short, I now have no rudder pedals. The control panel doesn't see them at all. I have uninstalled and reinstalled the Kitty twice by the book, and they are just not there. I also checked on my Phantom server, it does not see them either. Everything else works on the Cougar, and our profile works fine, just no pedal. These are TM Elites plugged into cougar.
Any ideas for troubleshooting?
Lawndart
Virtual Thunderbird

Post by Lawndart » Mon Jun 04, 2007 12:40 pm

Check this guide (see step 8 if that helps): http://cougar.frugalsworld.com/faqinstall.php
Cougar World - Installation and Setup; step 8 wrote:STEP 8: Connecting rudders
We could have connected up any rudders you might own in Step 4. But I've left this to here so I can waffle on a little bit about rudders and the Cougar.

1.) If you have USB rudders, then they are a separate entity from the Cougar, and will be seen by Windows as separate to the Cougar. They cannot be programmed using the Cougar software. Be aware that if you are using a sim or game that only recognises one controller at a time, then you will not be able to use the Cougar and your USB rudders at the same time. This is why the Cougar has a gameport connector at its rear to accept rudders that will connect through it, and hence be seen as one controller.

2.) The rudder connection is not hot pluggable. That means that if you now attach your rudders, the Cougar won't report this fact to Windows. You need to connect your rudders, then either hit the Restart button in the CCP, or what I do its just disconnect my Cougar and then reconnect it. If you can't reach your joystick's connection to the computer easily, cheat and disconnect and reconnect your throttle connector, which is hot pluggable.

3.) If you have Thrustmaster RCS or Elite rudders, just go ahead and connect them.

4.) If you have gameport CH rudders with toebrakes, your toebrakes won't be recognised. There is a thead in the forums discussing how to get around this with some rewiring of your rudders.
Gunner
Virtual Thunderbird

Post by Gunner » Mon Jun 04, 2007 1:01 pm

LD, Thanks for the quick response! I did it by the book both times, and have un - re plugged dozens of times since. Neither machine is seeing them.

I also found a thread on the Cougar forum where the guy told someone else with same situation, that the HOTAS.INI should say this:

[TMMode]
Axes=1
Buttons=0
Status=OKAY
TQS=1
RCS=1
RCS2K=0

Mine is so:

[TMMode]
Axes=1
Buttons=1
Status=OKAY
TQS=1
RCS=0
RCS2K=0

When I edit to read as it should, it changes back as soon as I restart device or unplug or anything in CCP
Lawndart
Virtual Thunderbird

Post by Lawndart » Mon Jun 04, 2007 1:18 pm

RCS are the other kind of TM rudders, not sure if it sees them differently from the Elites? Make a backup of the INI file and then delete it, see if it re-creates a file again...

Next thing you could try is connecting another pair of rudders (preferably Elites) and see if your rig(s) see them?
Gunner
Virtual Thunderbird

Post by Gunner » Mon Jun 04, 2007 2:00 pm

Lawndart wrote:RCS are the other kind of TM rudders, not sure if it sees them differently from the Elites? Make a backup of the INI file and then delete it, see if it re-creates a file again...

Next thing you could try is connecting another pair of rudders (preferably Elites) and see if your rig(s) see them?
The file is re-created when device is restarted...
And unfortunately, I don't have an extra pair of pedals for troubleshooting. :oops: