Gunner's Pit

Discussions about Cockpits, Joysticks & Setups
Gunner
Virtual Thunderbird

Post by Gunner » Wed Mar 07, 2007 10:03 pm

look about halfway down on this page:
viewtopic.php?t=1021&start=135

Bad Boy has my base almost done :D
Armrest will be very similar to real thing...
Gunner
Virtual Thunderbird

Post by Gunner » Mon Mar 19, 2007 11:37 pm

Almost done...

I'll post more pics later :D

Burner
Virtual Thunderbird Alumnus

Post by Burner » Tue Mar 20, 2007 9:25 am

WOW :shock: That looks awesome Gunner! Where did you pick up all the doo-dads, last I heard all you had was the bottom seat pad and the parachute pack. Are you now finished with the seat or do you still have more to do b/f you build the 'pit' to house that beast?
Gunner
Virtual Thunderbird

Post by Gunner » Tue Mar 20, 2007 10:21 am

Burner wrote:WOW :shock: That looks awesome Gunner! Where did you pick up all the doo-dads, last I heard all you had was the bottom seat pad and the parachute pack. Are you now finished with the seat or do you still have more to do b/f you build the 'pit' to house that beast?
I found the back pad on ebay $100, flags from the same place as 'chute container $2 - $4 ea, and the harness on ebay for $35 (not authentic, but it looks ok and is perfect for my purpose). Some of the doo-dads are included in the kit - arming handle, emergency chute handle, track wheels, harness release lever, and decals.

The thingamabobs, however, I made myself. :D I'll post some pics on how I made the oxy bottle...I also made the brackets for bottle and oxy ring, the hoses and plumbing all came from the hardware and auto parts stores. I also made a few doo-hickies that you can see thru the open part of the back. :wink:

...almost forgot - I'm not quite done, I have a cover for the harness release that I haven't painted yet, and some guides for the tracks wheels yet to fabricate, but that's an hour or so. Then, after just sitting and looking at my new toy for a day or two, :D I'll get started on the center tub for the 'pit. I guess I'm also going to make the ejection handle, I'm not willing to pay the $150+ they go for on ebay.
Rhino

Post by Rhino » Tue Mar 20, 2007 11:50 am

Gunner wrote:I'll get started on the center tub for the 'pit. I guess I'm also going to make the ejection handle, I'm not willing to pay the $150+ they go for on ebay.
And then a bunch of Estes model rocket engines with a trap door in the roof and you'll call it a day? :lol: Seriously man looks awesome, and I wish I had the time, money, and dedication you have to get something like this done. Excellent work :D

Also, congrats on making the diamond!
Phantoms Phorever!
Gunner
Virtual Thunderbird

Post by Gunner » Tue Mar 20, 2007 11:40 pm

OK, now I'm done...'cept for the ejection handle, and guides for the track wheels :wink:

Sorry for so many pics, I'm like a proud papa :D

Convertible

Post by Convertible » Wed Mar 21, 2007 2:25 am

Nice work Gunner. Can't wait to come over and see it.

Con
Thumper

Post by Thumper » Wed Mar 28, 2007 8:41 am

Gunner, all I can say is WOW!!! That Aces II is just dead sexy. Great job.

~Thump
BonJobie

Post by BonJobie » Wed Mar 28, 2007 6:13 pm

I had the distinct privilege of sitting in that seat last Friday before the Thunderbird's Friday practice. It is truly amazing what Gunner has done. With all due respect, pictures don't even do it justice! I have strapped myself into a real Viper seat before and, as I told Gunner, the only thing missing in this case was the armed rocket and a jet to go around his seat. Well done, Deuce!!

Bon
Panther
Virtual Thunderbird

Post by Panther » Sun Apr 01, 2007 5:45 am

Nice work :D If you know anyone in the Egress shops I am sure they could get you the ejection handle. They have them on stock for quick change out. I almost got one for a practical joke but I was too lazy to drive down the flightline and get it...hehehe.
Gunner
Virtual Thunderbird

Post by Gunner » Tue Apr 03, 2007 12:02 pm

Panther wrote:Nice work :D If you know anyone in the Egress shops I am sure they could get you the ejection handle. They have them on stock for quick change out. I almost got one for a practical joke but I was too lazy to drive down the flightline and get it...hehehe.
Sooo Stephanie...
What can I do to motivate you to drive down the flightline :?: :wink:
Rage

Post by Rage » Wed Apr 04, 2007 6:48 am

BonJobie wrote:I had the distinct privilege of sitting in that seat last Friday before the Thunderbird's Friday practice. It is truly amazing what Gunner has done. With all due respect, pictures don't even do it justice! I have strapped myself into a real Viper seat before and, as I told Gunner, the only thing missing in this case was the armed rocket and a jet to go around his seat. Well done, Deuce!!

Bon
LoL! True that. Well done Gunner, what I wouldn't give for one of those... :oops:
Credit to Sabor.
Tailhook

Post by Tailhook » Wed Apr 04, 2007 10:12 am

gunner, plain and simple.......you have WAY too much time on your hands bro :wink: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Lawndart
Virtual Thunderbird

Post by Lawndart » Thu Apr 05, 2007 4:45 am

Here's a site for ya Gunner: www.ejectionsite.com

Some very good reference pictures for the ACES II (Viper, Eagle, Hog). If nothing else, this site made me think of you as I was reading through it... :lol:
Gunner
Virtual Thunderbird

Post by Gunner » Thu Apr 05, 2007 9:42 am

Lawndart wrote:Here's a site for ya Gunner: www.ejectionsite.com
Some very good reference pictures for the ACES II (Viper, Eagle, Hog). If nothing else, this site made me think of you as I was reading through it... :lol:
I've spent much time on that site as well as
http://www.clubhyper.com/reference/acesiiss_1.htm

http://www.meriweather.com/16/center/seat.html

And others...also currently bidding on a 256 page Book entitled "Eject The complete history of U.S. aircraft escape systems". :wink: