Gunner's Pit

Discussions about Cockpits, Joysticks & Setups
Panther
Virtual Thunderbird

Post by Panther » Thu Jul 19, 2007 11:15 am

Gunner wrote:
Panther wrote:Nice work :D If you know anyone in the Egress shops I am sure they could get you the ejection handle. They have them on stock for quick change out. I almost got one for a practical joke but I was too lazy to drive down the flightline and get it...hehehe.
Sooo Stephanie...
What can I do to motivate you to drive down the flightline :?: :wink:

Finally got it but they could only give me one :( I was hoping to get more but they couldn't. I guess next time give them a few more beers for free, lol.
Talon

Post by Talon » Thu Jul 19, 2007 1:40 pm

We mold those here for simulators ourselves, with the attachment cables molded inside during the process. If we ever get around to another ejection seat contract ( we do F-16's, F-18's, F-22's, etc. etc.) I will let you know prior, and can have our model & mockups dept. make a few extra for me and sell them at our cost to whomever wants one or two.
But we cannot just whip out the mold and make some as then it would involve enormous costs to the end user as a 'dedicated" effort ( our mfg. costs are high, but low for what we do compared to actual flight-worthy parts).
I have attached a thumbnail of one of the ones we make:
8)
Gunner
Virtual Thunderbird

Post by Gunner » Thu Jul 19, 2007 6:27 pm

Stephanie!
Very nice acquisition - obviously you will save that for yours, but if you do get your hands on another...
And Talon - where do you work?? That handle is sweeeet! :D
Talon

Post by Talon » Thu Jul 19, 2007 7:15 pm

Hi Gunner. I have been the Sr. Mechanical Engineer and Designer for our Simulation and Training division for the last 16 years, where we design and build military simulators for gov't contracts.
I will take a look and see if I can snag one for you if we have any laying around, and we might even have one (extra one) in our storage building in our F-16 cockpit simulator.
Awhile back we were under contract to build a few lots of the ejection seats for F-16 cockpit trainers and the picture I posted I believe is the one we reverse engineered from the actual. No promises but I will take a look around next week and see if we have one they will let me have.
I'm surrounded by this stuff all the time so it doesn't excite me like it used to when I first started at it, but I like to see the enthusiasm most virtual pilots get at them. Our storage building is an adult "playground" of military designed toys. The most fun I have had in them is shooting ground vehicles in our AH-64 Apache trainers, and firing the TOW in our Bradley trainers, and after learning to fly the F16 in Falcon4, flying the F-16 flight trainers prior to being shipped.
Gunner
Virtual Thunderbird

Post by Gunner » Thu Jul 19, 2007 8:26 pm

Lately I seem to be surrounded by guys that have MY dream jobs! :? :( :o :shock: :wink:
STRIKER
Virtual Thunderbird Alumnus

Post by STRIKER » Thu Jul 19, 2007 8:33 pm

Talon wrote:Hi Gunner. I have been the Sr. Mechanical Engineer and Designer for our Simulation and Training division for the last 16 years, where we design and build military simulators for gov't contracts.
Very jealous...after I retire out of the USAF and stop flying my butt off I want to work for the gov with simulator technologies. :D
Panther
Virtual Thunderbird

Post by Panther » Fri Jul 20, 2007 1:14 am

Yeah the Egress guys could only give me the rubber piece without the metal attachment, I am guessing the metal portion is a turn in/ tracked item.
Gunner
Virtual Thunderbird

Post by Gunner » Sun Jul 22, 2007 9:11 pm

Update:
Left auxiliary started; waiting for chaff and flare panel, gear lever, and threat warning panel. The right aux still needs lots of work, and the center pedestal is populated with the wrong gauges, but the correct instruments will be in there within a few weeks. :D

1,200 hours hanging on Boss's wing...
Lawndart
Virtual Thunderbird

Post by Lawndart » Sun Jul 22, 2007 10:32 pm

Holy smokes! I'm not even sure I have 1,200 hours total in LOMAC... (Who, am I kidding right?!)... :? That throttle needs to be put in our museum with a caption of "Nothing but blood, sweaty palms and tears!"

As always, very impressive Gunner and I can't wait (as I'm sure you can't either) till you get the correct face plates for the gauges and the lever(s) installed too. Oh, and one last thing... those pedals look a tad... uhum, small to put it nicely! :lol:
Gunner
Virtual Thunderbird

Post by Gunner » Sun Jul 22, 2007 11:13 pm

Lawndart wrote:Oh, and one last thing... those pedals look a tad... uhum, small to put it nicely! :lol:
:oops: I've had the new PCB for weeks, but I got used to the Saitek pedals, and just haven't had the time to do the swap-out. (It's a little more complicated than it sounds, gotta take the whole right side out & do some new fabrication.) I will be back to the Elites very soon. :wink:

BTW...the corresponding glove:
Ells

Post by Ells » Mon Jul 23, 2007 9:34 am

Looking fantastic Gunner, good job bro.
Hmm me thinks you need some new gloves lol
beaster329

Post by beaster329 » Thu Aug 02, 2007 9:10 am

I agree dude 8)
Convertible
Virtual Thunderbird Alumnus

Post by Convertible » Fri Aug 17, 2007 5:15 pm

Gunner... My wife is already cursing your good name... :) I should not have come up and flown in the "Pit". What a great time I had at lunch today though. Thanks for the hospitality. I did some of the best flying I think I have ever done. Especially after having not touched my stick for close to 3 weeks. Makes a world of difference to fly with the set up you have. My congrats on a continuing job well done!!!!!!!!!! Can't wait to fly in it again. Not sure I ever want to use my stick again either... :) Thanks again man!!!!

Con
Lawndart
Virtual Thunderbird

Post by Lawndart » Sat Aug 18, 2007 12:13 am

Nice Convertible! :lol: LOL!
Gunner
Virtual Thunderbird

Post by Gunner » Sat Aug 18, 2007 1:30 pm

That's right, #7 paid a visit to the "Man cave" yesterday and did an ops check on my jet! :D Burner, you better stay sharp, if 'Vertable ever gets an FSSB and a solid pit, you may have some competition. :wink: