Gunner's Pit

Discussions about Cockpits, Joysticks & Setups
Gunner
Virtual Thunderbird

Post by Gunner » Sun May 20, 2007 3:51 pm

Time for another update - I finally skinned the side consoles and finished my "temporary" panels and switches. The panels will eventually be much more accurate and realistic, but these hold the switches and knobs, and all that I use on a regular basis are functional in the sim. I have now virtually eliminated the keyboard...unintentional pun, but it works :wink: , the only thing I need a keyboard for now is naming and saving tracks. :D I have realized that starting with the seat, and making the pit flyable is a disadvantage...now I can't stay out of it long enough to get the rest of it done!! :lol:

Lawndart
Virtual Thunderbird

Post by Lawndart » Sun May 20, 2007 5:48 pm

Gunner, that is just... Aaah... (drooling)... WOW!!! :shock: :shock: :shock: :D :P ...slurp!!! :P

You're putting all the other pit builders to shame with your outstanding work! This is one of the most impressive pits I've ever seen and knowing that you've build this from scratch yourself, just makes it all the more impressive. Can't wait to see the backlit Thunderbird logo eventually! 8)
Rock
Virtual Thunderbird Alumnus

Post by Rock » Sun May 20, 2007 6:49 pm

Wow Gunner! That is amazing to say the least! Nice Job! :D
bad boy

Post by bad boy » Mon May 21, 2007 3:25 am

nice work Gunner!! :D

grtz,
Thumper

wow....

Post by Thumper » Mon May 21, 2007 6:07 am

Gunner...you are a bad, bad man...just plain sick...I love it...

~Thumper
Burner

Post by Burner » Mon May 21, 2007 10:54 am

Awesome work Gunner, very clean.
Rotorblade

Post by Rotorblade » Mon May 21, 2007 12:30 pm

Looks very nice and an expensive setup, but i am sure it's worth it.

Where's the rest of the airplane? LOL :!:
Gunner
Virtual Thunderbird

Post by Gunner » Sat May 26, 2007 3:03 pm

Just want to let Lawndart know I'm working on it!! 8)
I'm playing around with a couple ideas for the Logo at the back of the seat. I've got the plexiglas cut, now it's hours of sanding and polishing...

On a piece I messed up with the router, I'm trying a couple different ways of doing the logo - originally my idea was to have both halves engraved with mirror images on inside and light from below, but there would be no color to it.
Here is my first test with a color graphic, it looks ok with ambient lighting, but with LEDS lit(I grabbed green ones out of my stash instead of white, but I think the result would be the same), all it does is light up every imperfection in the plastic, and especially the glue...

Like I said, they weren't supposed to be green LED's but I think the result would be similar with white...Yeuuck!
Gunner
Virtual Thunderbird

Post by Gunner » Sat May 26, 2007 10:28 pm

Do we discourage double posts? If so, I'm discouraged. :lol:
I decided to postpone the lighting - I'll still do it, but I doubled up the transparency and I think the color graphic looks OK for now, and I'm tired of that empty slot. :wink: I like the color, I think I will see if the trophy shop can add color when they engrave the logo. 8)

Lawndart
Virtual Thunderbird

Post by Lawndart » Mon May 28, 2007 12:45 am

Gunner, I think the lack of response is simply because everyone's speechless!!! :shock: :shock: :shock:

I still think you ought to sandblast the logo in and use a backlit glass, but it looks awesome! I'd go for the Thunderbird patch instead of the AF combo and possibly make it a bit smaller to better center it on the glass.

You're putting the rest of us to shame regardless! :D 8)
Rhino

Post by Rhino » Mon May 28, 2007 1:19 am

Gunner did you think of maybe doing a light "glow" tint on the coloration, and then put some white LEDs under the base. Might look kind of cool.
Phantoms Phorever!
Gunner
Virtual Thunderbird

Post by Gunner » Mon May 28, 2007 12:30 pm

Lawndart wrote: I still think you ought to sandblast the logo in and use a backlit glass, but it looks awesome! I'd go for the Thunderbird patch instead of the AF combo and possibly make it a bit smaller to better center it on the glass.
Thank you all for your comments, but this really is just a temporary piece now :wink:. I'm pretty sure if I have the engraving/sandblasting done on the inside surface of each piece, it will light up nicely with white LED's, and I'll bet there is a translucent paint I can color it with. I agree with you about using just the T-Bird patch, but this looks OK for now. :D
Burner

Post by Burner » Tue May 29, 2007 12:54 am

You may get better results by adding some paper or other opaque material to cover the LEDs. This will diffuse the light source and hopefully make any scratches less noticable. This will also help make any opaque engraving/sandblasting more noticable by hitting with light from many directions instead of one or two.

Also I would guess, though I'm not looking at the piece so I can't know for sure, that any seen imperfections are from the cutting process or general handling. You might be able to have the engraver cut 1/16" off the top before engraving, giving a nice smooth uniform transparency. If the engraver can't do it a mill could get the job done, some polishing would have to be done, but any deep scratches would be wiped away.

That seat just keeps gettin cooler and cooler, give me a heads up when we're attaching the rocket motors :D
bad boy

Post by bad boy » Wed May 30, 2007 4:56 pm

nice progress Gunner!
this is how far i am on my new pit;

as you see i have still a lot off work to do but i get there step by step :wink:

grtz,
Tom
Gunner
Virtual Thunderbird

Post by Gunner » Wed May 30, 2007 6:08 pm

Tom, It is obvious from those pics that you will shame me when it is all finished :oops: . I was just thinking the past couple days that I haven't really given you much credit for my stick base. If anyone is building a pit, and is using the FSSB mod, Bad Boy is the man to talk to! His stick base is so solid and well put together, it's the only way to go :D .