F-22 Extreme HOTAS Cougar

Discussions about Cockpits, Joysticks & Setups
Tailhook
Virtual Thunderbird Alumnus

F-22 Extreme HOTAS Cougar

Post by Tailhook » Sun Jul 30, 2006 11:48 am

My cousin and I both have a F-22 HOTAS Cougar but their old software. They both have old connection plugs that we don't have ports to and we were wondering if we should find a place online or contact Thrustmaster and see if they can either get us a new one, change the plugs to USB, or give us a F-16 HOTAS Cougar for free. Both our cougars are brand new almost but won't work great on XP since its outdated. Do you guys think that is what we should do or no?
Lawndart
Virtual Thunderbird

Post by Lawndart » Sun Jul 30, 2006 11:58 am

What you have is not a HOTAS Cougar. That is a product and name in itself. Sounds like you're using the old Thrustmaster F-22 Pro stick. I believe Burner had one before, so he may be able to give you an answer on any specifics of it, but I can tell you right now that TM will not let people sent their former products back for replacements of different and newer ones. No company does!

As far as changing a serial port to a USB connection, it's not only the connection but the circuitry and electronics that need to be changed. It's just not feasible to do.

LD
Tailhook

Post by Tailhook » Sun Jul 30, 2006 12:09 pm

yeah, maybe they won't replace it with a new product but they will replace a defective one and I can make it defective :lol:
Lawndart
Virtual Thunderbird

Post by Lawndart » Sun Jul 30, 2006 12:16 pm

You do realise you're posting on a forum owned by a company who's in direct partnership with Thrustmaster right :?: :!: :wink:

If your F-22 Pro is still under WARRANTY as outlined by the warranty card that came with the box, you can have it sent in and repaired or replaced by the discretion of the company. You'll also need proof of purchase for the warranty to be valid. I haven't seen a F-22 stick being sold in years aside from on Ebay (as used items), so I'd have to say you're probably out of luck (even if it really was broken)...

LD
Last edited by Lawndart on Sun Jul 30, 2006 1:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tailhook

Post by Tailhook » Sun Jul 30, 2006 12:19 pm

lol. im just trying to find out if I would be able to get some company to change the ports on my stick cause I would like to be able to use it again cause I like it :)
Lawndart
Virtual Thunderbird

Post by Lawndart » Sun Jul 30, 2006 12:25 pm

You're probably better off finding a gaming card (with game port) to your computer, than trying to mod the stick. Changing a non-USB device into one will cost you far more headaches and money than buying a new Cougar even, so I'd focus on bridging the gap between your rig and your joystick instead.

LD