FSSB

Discussions about Cockpits, Joysticks & Setups
SilverOne

FSSB

Post by SilverOne » Thu Jul 13, 2006 8:40 pm

Well, my Cougar pots are dirty, real dirty. I'm actualy tired of having to clean the pots so I thought - why not buy a FSSB force mod? I readed reviews on Frugal World and searched up about it , and I got a few questions if you guyz could help me out.

1- is it realy worth the price and are you totally satisfied?
2- is there any diference between R1 and R2 besides the price, laser engraving, and sensors, is it more precise or just the life time?
3- is it like the HOTAS Cougar itself and comes with a lot of bad stuff or does it work 100%?
[-]SilverOne[-] [- Best Regards
Burner
Virtual Thunderbird Alumnus

Post by Burner » Thu Jul 13, 2006 10:05 pm

I have been using the FSSB R1 for about 4 months now and I am 100% satisfied. For formation flying it made the experience simultaneously easier and more enjoyable. After about 10 flight hours with the FSSB my skills began to surpass my old abilities with a stock Cougar.

Striker would be able to comment better on the difference between R1 and R2. Beyond what you already mentioned I seem to remember hearing that the R2 has a different sensor mounting plate.

If you have the money and spend a good deal of time in the virtual cockpit it's well worth it.
Rotorblade

Post by Rotorblade » Fri Jul 14, 2006 9:26 am

Would you recommend it for a lead?
STRIKER

Post by STRIKER » Fri Jul 14, 2006 9:32 am

Rotorblade wrote:Would you recommend it for a lead?
I personally recommend the Uber NXT mod for lead...it has the smoothness that is required to make every input work for ya.
SilverOne

Post by SilverOne » Fri Jul 14, 2006 9:54 am

Remember that Uber NXT was discontinued, now it's Über II NXT.

STRIKER can you tell me if there is any diference between the R1 and R2? Is it more precise?
Redeye
Virtual Thunderbird

Post by Redeye » Fri Jul 14, 2006 11:05 am

Home of the FSSB R1 and R2:

http://www.realsimulator.com/html/fssb.html

The basic difference between the R1 and R2 is lifespan and cost. They both have the same precision and feel.

Along with installing the FSSB mod will come the desire to position yourself correctly. Check the following link for a cheap cockpit that's made out of wood for pilots going to LAN meets. An arm rest will also come to mind.

http://www.62ndfightingfalcons.asn.au/p ... ojects.htm
SilverOne

Post by SilverOne » Fri Jul 14, 2006 1:18 pm

Alright, thanks Redeye.

Also Rotorblade, will you always be leading? Doesn't the VSB change positions or you'll keep yours?

If you'll always be the lead, then yes shoot for an Uber II NXT, if not you should go for the FSSB. I'm saying this from the opinions I've seen on reviews and comments on forums like this one, not my personal experience.
Lawndart
Virtual Thunderbird

Post by Lawndart » Fri Jul 14, 2006 8:12 pm

I could probably answer most questions, since I've had a NXT for a year and a half and the FSSB for almost a year now. Flown formation and lead with both (did most of my leading with the NXT though). The all-round better choice is the FSSB; however, if lead is your main focal point, the NXT is probably better suited (unless you desire carpel tunnel). I can lead quite well with the FSSB too, but it definitely puts a lot more strain on your arm compared with the "easy going" NXT. No mechanical parts in the FSSB rules and of course... replicating the actual Viper stick that literally only moves as far as you can clinch your fist. It makes for some interesting adjustments in piloting technique if you're used to "sampling" with a mechanical stick, but well worth the upgrade after the adjustment period.

The only known difference between the actual parts inside the FSSB R1 and R2 mods is its life expectancy. They are equally precise and satisfaction guaranteed!
Last edited by Lawndart on Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rotorblade

Post by Rotorblade » Tue Jan 08, 2013 5:26 am

So, I was cruising the web trying to find some threads talking about centering issues with the FSSB R1 as I am having an issue with mine. But my main reason for this post is for a sort of a toast to the FSSB and what a wonderful mod it has been. I look forward to having a Warthog with the R3 in the near future. :D
Lawndart
Virtual Thunderbird

Post by Lawndart » Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:42 am

Wow, blast from the past! 2006...

Since I wrote that last post of mine I spent probably another four years flying with the FSSB R2 before going Warthog in 2010. I had absolutely no problems being smooth and precise in the Solo and Lead roles I occupied those years.

As for the centering issue... I haven't touched my backup stick (FSSB R2) for almost three years, but the first thing that comes to mind is adjusting the screws on the base of the unit and checking your neutral values for the Y- and X- axes to read 325 in CCP.
Rotorblade

Post by Rotorblade » Tue Jan 08, 2013 7:36 pm

I've done a lot of troubleshooting with this including everything you've mentioned. 6+ years of use, it is definitely time for a replacement.
Burner

Post by Burner » Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:36 pm

Yeah there are so many years you'll get out the force sensor before the tiny strain gauge gives up. I've been using mine for six years and haven't had a problem but I'm the exception, every other FSSB user I know has done one replacement in that time.