Show your setup

Discussions about Cockpits, Joysticks & Setups
Burner
Virtual Thunderbird Alumnus

Post by Burner » Tue Feb 20, 2007 4:31 pm

Yeah I'm pretty sure a work around is in order to crop off the sides of my widescreen while playing lomac. I really don't care for the cropped top and bottom or the fisheye effect when zoomed out but maybe I'll get used to one or the other. In my mind I just bought more screen- ALOT more screen and I see no reason that I should now have to CROP my view :)

Time to see if my new monitor or lomac can force 1.33 ratio.
Lawndart
Virtual Thunderbird

Post by Lawndart » Tue Feb 20, 2007 4:46 pm

LOMAC always defaults the graphics.cfg file back to 1.33 anytime you save your options in-game, even if you didn't touch the video options, you still have to go back out to Windows and edit the graphics.cfg back to your desired aspect ratio. Really annoying! You can certainly fly with a widescreen and AR of 1.33, but it will only stretch your image and make everything flat and fat. You won't gain any additional view, and the world will be "pancaked"! :wink:

If you find a way of using the correct AR for your monitor and "gaining back" your vertical, thereby also widening your horizontal without stretching or zooming... Well, that will be a breakthrough to say the least! Other than that, I feel your pain having just bought a larger display, only to have the top and bottom chopped off. Something we all came to realize whenever we got our widescreens...

Check the links I added to my last reply.
Thumper

No WS Support Suxorz the BIG One111!!!

Post by Thumper » Tue Feb 20, 2007 6:48 pm

Personally, I just chose to get used to the cropping. I have my view angles set to 20, 160 because when I use Track IR it gives me the default zoom level that I would have without TIR.

Burner, you will also be thrilled to know that BF2142 has no WS support either because, according to several threads in various forums, DICE feels that WS would give some players an unfair advantage in terms of higher SA. Like massive processors and vid cards dont do the same by reducing lag and increasing FPS.

For right now it seems like the gaming world is a bit WS ambivalent, if not downright unfriendly but I still wouldnt go back to my 19" CRT. I love "the big picture".

Thump
Burner

Post by Burner » Tue Feb 20, 2007 6:54 pm

Here's what I've found out so far-

I set AR=1.7777 which is the exact AR of 1920/1080=1.77778

I then experimented with the CameraViewAngleLimits[PlaneIndex.iF_15] setting and noticed that my changes had NO noticealbe effect on my screen ratio. I immediately set out to discover what CameraViewAngleLimits did to the game.

After some playing around I realized that this only sets a restriction on the maximum amount of aft cockpit zoom and setting it to 145 is way too far back. However leaving it at 120 and zooming all the way to the stops at mission start will give you the exact same top bottom FOV as a standard def screen.

Now onto the next question stretching- I saw very little, and the stretching I did see was at the extreme left and right of my view where I was now seeing more than a standard aspect ratio can show. All objects within the Std Def viewing area were unstretched and the extreme left and right stretching was relatively small. My theory is that with your monitor set to 1920x1080 but AR set incorrectly to 1.6 it accentuates any stretching or fisheye effect when zooming back a small amount.

Here's a screenie: You can see the far right and left cockpit canopy rail is stretched but that's b/c its very close to you, exterior objects hardly get stretched at all, now to figure out how to get snap views to be zoomed out as well- anyone know off hand?
Lawndart
Virtual Thunderbird

Post by Lawndart » Tue Feb 20, 2007 7:04 pm

So, you used zoom to do this Burner?

Just wait for the lovely smoke trails and "warping" of other jets when in formation if that's the case. I stick to the default zoom, since the objects are at least un-bent... and the smoke stays pluming instead of whackie-noo-noo...
Gunner
Virtual Thunderbird

Post by Gunner » Tue Feb 20, 2007 7:26 pm

Lawndart wrote:... and the smoke stays pluming instead of whackie-noo-noo...
Thank you so much LD, I hadn't been able to come up with an adequate description of that :lol:

Burner - when I first got my 40", I was zooming out...then less, and less, and now I use default zoom. You just get used to the cropping, and the HUGE picture makes up for it. :wink:

With that said, I would probably zoom some for combat, but close formation...I'm flying better without the zoom zoom.
BTW, I use 1.78 @ 1920/1080
Talon

Post by Talon » Thu Apr 12, 2007 9:51 am

Great topic here guys!
After going through it, the last few pages really seemed to have answered my questions regarding my potential purchase of a 1080P wide screen LCD for my formation flying needs, and give my wife the 21.3" 1600x1200 res LCD to my wife.
I was hoping to have found a solution to the thread on Lock On.en regarding wide-aspect displays and the cropping of the vertical field of view when using the wide view limits horizontally, but apparently this limitation within Lock On has not been conquered just yet.
Thanks for the great thread regarding the wide-aspect display limitations within Lock On, and it seems I will just have to stick with my 21" LCD until this is resolved. This is quite disturbing for me since the 1080P displays are so inexpensive currently.
Lawndart
Virtual Thunderbird

Post by Lawndart » Thu Apr 12, 2007 12:21 pm

Talon wrote:...This is quite disturbing for me since the 1080P displays are so inexpensive currently.
And they will continue to drop! :wink:

Hoping I can get a second one sometime later this year! ...no need to hurry though, prices are dropping on the ~40"+ LCDs as we speak. :P
Talon

Post by Talon » Thu Apr 12, 2007 1:35 pm

I concur; although to be honest 40" and above are just too big for me currently with regard to my desk and eye distance spacing to the display surface. The 37" is borderline for me on the highside, with the 32" being ideal for where I sit relative to where the lcd would sit using safety factors (from my Simulation and Training profession) for eye to screen distances; although I would probably opt for the 37" one and sit back a little farther.
But on a very real note, what we probably need is for some industrious software / programmer to look at why LockOn has these limitations imposed for widescreen displays, and to figure out how to resolve it for the masses, since currently it is far easier to buy wide-aspect displays than it is to buy standard displays. This would then open the door at least for me to go out and buy a widescreen display without worrying about losing in-game viewable area vertically. I notice the same thing on my wide-screen laptops, But I can keep hoping.
Any news regarding Black Shark's handling of wide-aspect displays?
Lawndart
Virtual Thunderbird

Post by Lawndart » Fri Apr 13, 2007 2:38 am

I could be wrong, but I think one of the ED testers (ru forums) said they were aware and would include it with BS; however, unless you've already noticed, BS is pushed back further again... :roll: :lol:

Striker just bought a 37" Sharp Aqous. I have a 42" Sharp Aqous and it is NICE!!! Just saw a show on G4TV today where the Aqous was once again awarded best in review. The 37" one is optimized specifically for gaming as well with ultra quick response times. You should check it out! I'd highly recommend the Sharp LCDs any day!
Ells

Post by Ells » Fri Apr 13, 2007 7:31 am

Here is my humble abode.
Only thing missing is the Cougar which will be on that desk on April 28th (happy birtday to me, ya da da da da deeee)...

Rhino

Post by Rhino » Fri Apr 13, 2007 9:59 am

Thats definitely an interesting setup to say the least with the 2 monitors stacked like that. What's the one in back for or is that a tv?
Phantoms Phorever!
Ells

Post by Ells » Mon Apr 16, 2007 11:18 am

Noop, Samsung 15" mounted to the wall (my original monitor) and an Asus 17" on the desk.

I do a lot of web development work, so two screens works very well for me. Shame LOMAC and other games doesn't utilize dual screens.
Not sure if MSFS does?
Ells

Updated Pic

Post by Ells » Wed May 23, 2007 6:18 am

Updated pic and spec since my last post.
I got a nasty virus that seemed to mess up not just the hard drives, but the memory modules too, so decided to splash out on some new gear.

AMD Athlon K64
ASUS A8N SLi Standard S939 NF4
Corsair Tx 2GB 3200 C3 (2x 1Gb RAM modules)
Nvidia 6800 XT SLI
120Gb Seagate SATA2 ST3120813A Hard Drive (primary)
250Gb Samsung SATA2 Hard Drive (data)
ASUS DRW1612BL LIGHTSCRIBE DVD R/W Drive (needed to get this to load/play FSX)
ASUS DVD R/W Drive (older drive that wouldn't load new games)
17" ASUS TFT MM17D
15" Samsung TFT
Thrustmaster HOTAS Cougar Stick (for LOMAC and FSX)
Logitech Freedom 2.4 Cordless Stick (for BF2/2142)
Sennheiser PC130 USB Audio Headset
Speakers - can't remember the make, but basically big sub under the desk, with 2 ickle ones on top
Microsoft MSN Webcam
BT Wireless 4 port Hub/Router (2Gb Dedicated ADSL connection, with up to 8Mb burst)
MS Ergonomic Keyboard
Dell infrared mouse (need to get a new games mouse)
Windows XP SP2

Talon

Post by Talon » Wed May 23, 2007 7:54 pm

Burner, I'm going to have to second everything you indicated in your last post here in this thread. I too have it set like you (zoom set like yours and at 1920x1080), and have no discernable warping at all, even tucked in under Rhino's wing. I also resolved the having to reset the graphics.cfg file for aspect ratio by using a bat file, which grabs one I tailored from my root directory and copies it to the correct location each time I start LockOn.
The one catch is that whenever you go to your options screen to set something, you need to come back out to desktop and then start the game again, which in effect starts my bat file that deletes the trackir.ini file, replaces the graphics.cfg file and then starts LockOn for me. This just basically saves me the effort of having to do it all manually over and over again.