Show your setup

Discussions about Cockpits, Joysticks & Setups
Lawndart
Virtual Thunderbird

Show your setup

Post by Lawndart » Tue Jun 27, 2006 11:11 pm

What does your pit @ home look like? Thought it would be fun to start a thread where everyone can post their pit pics or puter-desk pics!

Here are some links to keep on dreaming:
http://www.aimsworth.com/
http://www.viper-pits.com/
http://www.realsimulator.com/html/ready_to_fly.html
http://www.realsims.com/
http://www.62ndfightingfalcons.asn.au/p ... ojects.htm

Add your own! Here are some photos of mine (2006):

Last edited by Lawndart on Sat Dec 27, 2008 3:13 am, edited 17 times in total.
Tubs

Post by Tubs » Tue Jun 27, 2006 11:58 pm

Well I don't have a camera, and couldn't find my parents. So I made a short like 50 sec video...hehe it has sound too!!!

http://s72.photobucket.com/albums/i176/ ... 549MPG.flv
Rock
Virtual Thunderbird Alumnus

Post by Rock » Wed Jun 28, 2006 12:48 am

Here's a look at my set up. I just finished building my cockpit on Sunday and still have a few tweaks to make but it feels terrific to sit in and provides the most stable positioning that I have had yet. The Cockpit itself is a Akers-Barnes Cockpit, Mark 1 which I built from scratch after getting permission from Peter Akers. Total time to get materials, cut the pieces, sand, paint, resand and touch up was approximately 45 to 50 hours! But it was well worth it and fun to build. Thanks to Redeye for all his guidance and advice as it made the entire process go very smoothly. Hope you like it. :)

Lawndart
Virtual Thunderbird

Post by Lawndart » Wed Jun 28, 2006 1:39 am

Rock wrote:Thanks to Redeye for all his guidance and advice as it made the entire process go very smoothly. Hope you like it. :)
Sweet! :D SOPs, Summer Thunder, homebuilt pit... you're a true Thunderdork! :lol: :wink: So, with all the advise... now, I think I need a pic of Redeye's setup as well, ha ha!

Also, do you have a link to the Akers-Barnes Pit, Mk1 website or is this the one: http://www.62ndfightingfalcons.asn.au/p ... ojects.htm

Btw, nice touch with the armrest...

Here are a few more of mine (the first is an older pic) from the NXT days and prior to modding the stick(s) even more, but it shows the HOTAS setup better and then below some more pics of the Kitties:

The Cougar twins! FSSB and NXT...

Last edited by Lawndart on Sat Jul 18, 2009 10:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gunner
Virtual Thunderbird

Post by Gunner » Wed Jun 28, 2006 11:54 am

Here's a few of my deskpit...

The second TQS & Stick is for the system in the black case which I use to control lead on autopilot. This is for when I can't find anyone to come out & play :wink:

In this next one you can see my aborted attempt to add a chiller to my water cooling setup last night.
I sprung a leak at one of the copper fittings :cry:
The radiator which was going to be replaced by the heat exchanger was up on the rack, now it sits on a very classy bucket :oops:

Closeup of my water cooled monstrosity
Gunner
Virtual Thunderbird

Post by Gunner » Wed Jun 28, 2006 11:56 am

P.S. - Tubs, clean your room
:wink:
Tubs

Post by Tubs » Wed Jun 28, 2006 1:42 pm

HOLY CRAP GUNNER............What is that thing!!!!!!!!.....looks like your trying to revive frankenstein!!!!!!!!
Lawndart
Virtual Thunderbird

Post by Lawndart » Wed Jun 28, 2006 2:00 pm

Gunner, I didn't know you were such an avid computer builder/modder. I see you have lots of toys and "high end" products. How do you like the Razer mouse?

Of course, I already knew about your Thunderbird obsession. Who's the guy in the red flight suit in the movie clip you have playing? ...and I see you used your first tryout as wallpaper.

btw, the "Reflection" seen on your smaller display is "backwards". The matching pilot (Opposing Solo) flies furthest away from the crowd and above the leading pilot (Lead Solo) who is the one flying inverted. How do I know this from your screenshot? You flew inverted and behind the lead pilot. The smaller plane should appear above in the reflection and secondly, I can tell that the inverted pilot in that screenshot is flying formation off of the guy right-side-up. It should be the other way around! ...and you thought you were crazy! ;) We're nuts!!! :lol:

LD
Seahawk

Post by Seahawk » Wed Jun 28, 2006 2:20 pm

Awesome setup guys!
Redeye
Virtual Thunderbird

Post by Redeye » Wed Jun 28, 2006 2:24 pm

Good stuff guys. I got to get a camera!!!
First off, i can't believe you guys don't strap your hotas down?

Yes LD, that is the web page for the cockpit plans.

Gunner nice equipment and clean room.

Office chairs- i found they all move even if in a stationary position. They rock back and forth, left and right. I didn't like the instability when using the FSSB mod.

The armrest- Again related to the FSSB mod's sensitivity. I new i would need to secure my forearm/wrist to gain a feeling of control over the smallest imputs. The smaller the imputs, the smoother the flying will be.

I found some material used in producing pre-fabricated homes. Its 5" of syrofoam sandwiched between 1/2" plywood and glued. I cut a chunk and placed it under my forearm which i then layed ontop of the syrofoam. I drew the outline of my forearm on the styrofoam, then dug it out till my arm fit snuggly and was held firmly from my elbow to wrist. The armrest is now molded to my forearm and the only part sticking out is my hand.

I have a pit like Rock's pictures with some small changes. I cut the side rails in order to move the throttle and stick inboard closer to my legs. I angled the stick forward about 20*, same with the throttle.

I got to get a camera....
Lawndart
Virtual Thunderbird

Post by Lawndart » Wed Jun 28, 2006 2:28 pm

Redeye wrote:First off, i can't believe you guys don't strap your hotas' down?
I should... Just imagine how well I could fly if I did... :wink:
I got to get a camera....
YES YOU DO!

Lawndart
Gunner
Virtual Thunderbird

Post by Gunner » Wed Jun 28, 2006 4:15 pm

Lawndart wrote:Gunner, I didn't know you were such an avid computer builder/modder. I see you have lots of toys and "high end" products. How do you like the Razer mouse?
The Razer is well worth it - but I don't have time to play FPS games anymore :wink:
Of course, I already knew about your Thunderbird obsession. Who's the guy in the red flight suit in the movie clip you have playing? ...and I see you used your first tryout as wallpaper.
The video is "Go Thunderbirds" and that is Todd Canterbury, Lead solo 2003, son of Hank Canterbury, slot 1965 - 1966
btw, the "Reflection" seen on your smaller display is "backwards". The matching pilot (Opposing Solo) flies furthest away from the crowd and above the leading pilot (Lead Solo) who is the one flying inverted. How do I know this from your screenshot? You flew inverted and behind the lead pilot. The smaller plane should appear above in the reflection and secondly, I can tell that the inverted pilot in that screenshot is flying formation off of the guy right-side-up. It should be the other way around! ...and you thought you were crazy! ;) We're nuts!!! :lol:
Yes, I haven't figured out yet how to get lead to fly inverted on autopilot :wink:

...And Tubs - HE'S ALIVE!!!
Last edited by Gunner on Wed Jun 28, 2006 4:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lawndart
Virtual Thunderbird

Post by Lawndart » Wed Jun 28, 2006 4:19 pm

Gunner wrote:The video is "Go Thunderbirds" and that is Todd Canterbury, Lead solo 2003, son of Hank Canterbury, slot 1965 - 1967.
I see you know your history well, but tell me more about the video. I don't recongnize it and it may have slipped past my attention!? :oops:

Good point about the "autopilot", I didn't even think about that, since we never fly "alone"...

Lawndart
Gunner
Virtual Thunderbird

Post by Gunner » Wed Jun 28, 2006 4:19 pm

...And from now on, I would like to be addressed as "Sarge" :wink:
Gunner
Virtual Thunderbird

Post by Gunner » Wed Jun 28, 2006 4:45 pm

Lawndart wrote: I see you know your history well, but tell me more about the video. I don't recongnize it and it may have slipped past my attention!? :oops:
Lawndart
The video was on the "iNHD" channel, I believe everything on those channels was originally filmed for IMAX :?:

The Military channel also had a vid featuring Todd and General Canterbury that I think is simply titled "Thunderbirds". I believe it was 2002 team because Todd flew #6 that year. I have both of them recorded on my DVR, and play them constantly (with your video thrown in of course).