A.C.E.S. Flight simulator in Minneapolis

Discussions about Cockpits, Joysticks & Setups
Metro

A.C.E.S. Flight simulator in Minneapolis

Post by Metro » Wed Jul 04, 2007 4:37 pm

I found this interesting and if this has been talked about in a previous thread, my apology. I was at the Mall of America and found a store that has a pretty neat flight simulators. The web site address below is an interview with the individual who designed the visual dome for the simulator. It is apparently an item he sells. Very expensive but if you sit in this sim it definitely gives you a similar sensation of flying in aircraft. I flew the Tomcat ACM dome simulator and it pretty much emulates the sensation of that sim only on a smaller scale.

Maybe when he recieves his patent on the dome, he will consider selling it at a more resonable price. Until then, we can at least dream about having one.

http://www.mallofamerica.com/adults_att ... _E340.aspx

This is the site with the interview with Mike Pohl (the developer) about the dome screen.

http://www.avsim.com/pages/0102/aces/mp ... rview.html

"Metro"
Ells

Post by Ells » Thu Jul 05, 2007 3:56 am

Looks very cool, how much is each session?
Tailhook
Virtual Thunderbird Alumnus

Post by Tailhook » Thu Jul 05, 2007 9:58 am

I just found a new place for vacation! :D :lol: :lol:
Atlas

Post by Atlas » Thu Jul 05, 2007 10:30 am

Ya I am with Viper...will have to swing up that way now. :lol:
Metro

Post by Metro » Thu Jul 05, 2007 11:01 am

I think It cost me 49.00 or so for a half hour session. You have different increments of payment for the amount of time you spend in it. The start you off with a breif and you have a couple of choices of aircraft. F-18 was one of them. They also have WW II aircraft.

Depending on the level of flying, you can do just about anything from air-to-ground flying, air-to-air or just flying around. You can try your skills at landing on a aircraft carrier day or night. I am not realy sure if they can link the sims up so if you bring a friend you can fly 1 v 1. I think the web site has a phone number where you can find all that information. Neat stuff though.

"Metro"
Metro

Post by Metro » Thu Jul 05, 2007 11:06 am

Oh by the way, my roomate in Va Beach was a "Tomcatter". He was a RIO. We cruise together in Forrestal Battle group 89-90. Told him about your site but have not spoke with him in a couple of weeks to see what he thought. I sure he will like it.
Ells

Post by Ells » Thu Jul 05, 2007 11:21 am

That's cool being $49, although it would cost me about $800 to fly to the US, and heck, I can get a new pc for that much and fly LOMAC on both at the same time lol
Atlas

Post by Atlas » Thu Jul 05, 2007 2:14 pm

Hahahahaha.....ya.
Bloke

Post by Bloke » Mon Sep 03, 2007 4:54 pm

Flew with ACES back in July when I was in MN for my sisters wedding.
It was pretty cool, though BFM wasn't too exciting when your opponent only holds a PPL & doesn't even know his one & two circle fights.

The most entertaining part was flying formation with my opponent, rolling around him, breaks & rejoins.. ACES owner Mike, saved our engagements for a "training video", which I thought was pretty cool.

I had my gear with me, to take to the Selfridge airshow the following week, to my surprise my helmet & mask all hooked up to their stuff!

It was worth the money, alot of fun.. sure beat the heck out of waiting for the misses while shopping for shoes & purses!!