Thunderbird Museum

Discussions about the U.S. Air Force Air Demonstration Squadron
Airshow fan

Thunderbird Museum

Post by Airshow fan » Fri May 12, 2006 8:55 pm

Is the Thunderbird Museum at Nellis AFB worth going to? I asked Burner, he said no. I would like to hear some of you thoughts.

Airshow fan
Lawndart
Virtual Thunderbird

Post by Lawndart » Fri May 12, 2006 9:52 pm

Burner said no? Then I'll say: Yes!
FALCON56

Thunderbird Museum

Post by FALCON56 » Wed May 17, 2006 12:11 am

It was nice..THey showed us a video one of the briefing rooms.. It gave some insite to the team... The actuall museum is small but crammed with pictures and some models of the different aircraft they use.. The "gift shop" is a closet full with some different items for purchase. The hangar itself was nice.. VERY CLEAN..Then we got a chance to walk on the flightline.. We couldnt walk next to the jets but it was close enough for me :D ...Im going to go back when I go for Aviation Nation '06... See if anything has changed.. I did hear that the Birds are planning on opening a museum off base so the general public can see what the team is all about..
Convertible
Virtual Thunderbird Alumnus

Post by Convertible » Wed May 17, 2006 12:53 am

Having been there twice last year, I would definately say yes. I really enjoyed all the pictures of the old teams. It was great also to see how clean every thing was and how meticulous (sp) they were with everything. Truly a site to visit in one's lifetime, if you are any kind of fan of the Thunderbirds.

Convertible
grab6303
USAF Thunderbird

Post by grab6303 » Mon May 22, 2006 3:40 pm

Our museum is somewhat limited by size(holds about a tenth of our stuff) and it is being looked into. As a fan first, T-Bird second I would say yes, definately come by and get the tour. I recommend coming in on a Tuesday, we hangar all of the jets and will let you get nice and close :) Grab
Burner
Virtual Thunderbird Alumnus

Post by Burner » Mon May 22, 2006 6:14 pm

I just want to clarify. I didn't say no. I did say that if you go there be sure to see the planes up close, and if you can- watch a practice. Get the full experience of seeing them fly- its the true attraction of Nellis and Indian Springs. Sounded like you were only seeing the museam when you talked to me earlier.

Bottom line great experience, I recommend it to everyone.

:)
Airshow fan

Post by Airshow fan » Mon May 22, 2006 7:13 pm

Oh great. I hope to go to Vegas this year or 2007. I never tought about a practice but that is a great idea! Relitives ask "why do you want to go to Las Vegas?" I say " Nellis AFB home of the Thunderbirds" ! I have never seen the Thunderbirds before. I hope to see them in Indianapolis in Aug.

Airshow fan
tbirdk8
USAF Thunderbird

Post by tbirdk8 » Wed Jun 21, 2006 4:17 pm

The biggest problem that you'll encounter is that we're limited on public tours right now. Because the base has been operating under higher security post 9/11, our public tour program has suffered. We are no longer able to sponsor individuals on to the installation, which means that the numbers of people visiting the museum has dwindled.

If you're able to access the base, by all means please come see us. We are open M-F from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m., closed weekends, holidays and base "down days." But as long as we're open, there is always someone available to show you around. We take a great amount of pride in what we do and we love to show it all off.
SSgt Kati Garcia
Chief, Media Relations
U.S. Air Force Thunderbirds
2002-present