Meaning of hack?

Discussions about the U.S. Air Force Air Demonstration Squadron
airchief

Meaning of hack?

Post by airchief » Fri Oct 21, 2005 6:25 pm

I was wondering exactly what hack meant like as in the High BB. Also with the solos. I am think it has something to do with a landmark (point at your hack, hack now). How do you choose the landmark? Is it the same all of the time?

Thanks alot
Airchief
Lawndart
Virtual Thunderbird

Post by Lawndart » Fri Oct 21, 2005 11:46 pm

Official definition of Hack by the dictionary. ;)

Thunderbirds hack is a timing, or synchronization of stop watches. They use it all the way from the beginning of the briefing, to step down and then while flying they hit the big hand on the timer off to the right of the HUD on the glareshield.

It's also used as a cadence. During the High-BB, when Lead says: "4, 3, 2, 1, Hack". Each pilot repeats the cadence exactly like Lead said it 3 times, the first time rolling inverted by the "hack", a 2nd time and on the third time each pilot "sticks" his nose during the Split S maneuver before leveling off. This way each pilot knows exactly what lead is doing when they're not flying on his wing and given a no-wind condition, they can do the exact same at the same time. It sets them up for the 4-plane Crossover.

The Solos hack is an INS nav point/landmark used to initiate the run-ins for their opposing maneuvers. "Point at your hack", means point at this point. The "Standby Hack, Let's Hack Now" is a cadence/timing call. Each solo repeats the "Standby Hack, Let's Hack Now" and then starts the stopwatch. In real life, 10 seconds later they make a perpendicular 90 degree turn to line up with the show line (called by the Lead Solo: "90 to the Line"). 30 seconds later they need to be at 12K distance from show center. 12K, 8K, 6K etc are all landmarks that are mapped out at their arrival maneuvers.

For a more official response to how the solos do business read this thread posted by the Lead Solo 2002!

LD
airchief

Post by airchief » Sat Oct 22, 2005 3:16 pm

LawnDart wrote: It's also used as a cadence. During the High-BB, when Lead says: "4, 3, 2, 1, Hack". Each pilot repeats the cadence exactly like Lead said it 3 times, the first time rolling inverted by the "hack", a 2nd time and on the third time each pilot "sticks" his nose during the Split S maneuver before leveling off. This way each pilot knows exactly what lead is doing when they're not flying on his wing and given a no-wind condition, they can do the exact same at the same time. It sets them up for the 4-plane Crossover.

LD
Great Thank you! So if I understand this right, when all 4 planes are headed outbound after the High BB, then lead says 4,3,2,1 hack and then pilots repeat 4,3,2,1 hack and roll inverted and pull. Then they repeat it and they should be pointed straight down :?: . Then they repeat it again and they should be level :?: .

Also after they break, how many G's do they pull? And what altitude is on top? At what altitude or after how many rolls does the solo stop rolling and pull towards the crowd?

Thanks alot for your answers. They are helping alot!
Lawndart
Virtual Thunderbird

Post by Lawndart » Sat Oct 22, 2005 3:35 pm

The High-BB hack cadence goes something like. 1st time repeating the "4, 3, 2, 1, hack" you complete the roll to inverted. 2nd readback to yourself, you should be about 45 degrees nose low on the backside of the pull. 3rd readback to yourself, you should be roughly 45 degrees nose low inbound towards show center. Then they level off just outside 12,000ft from show center and hit their groundspeed at that landmark by the time Lead calls "1's oooooon theeee liiiiine, 12 thousand"!

The G is relative to the pacing of the cadence, but should be in the neighborhood of 3-5G's in Lock-On.

The "On Top" altitude is the altitude everyone flies outbound after the Bomb Burst. Lead is the one who calls his altitude and speed. Usually around 10,000ft high at 250 knots.

The Solo Vertical Rolls (which I assume your referring to) vary. It's based on how quickly the speed bleeds off. But typically you'd see 5-7 rolls at least and above 10-15K in altitude once the Solo levels off again.

Lawndart
airchief

Post by airchief » Sun Oct 23, 2005 3:50 pm

Thanks alot for all of this! It has really helped to clear up some questions. :D

Airchief
STRIKER
Virtual Thunderbird Alumnus

Post by STRIKER » Fri Nov 11, 2005 4:15 pm

airchief wrote:
LawnDart wrote: It's also used as a cadence. During the High-BB, when Lead says: "4, 3, 2, 1, Hack". Each pilot repeats the cadence exactly like Lead said it 3 times, the first time rolling inverted by the "hack", a 2nd time and on the third time each pilot "sticks" his nose during the Split S maneuver before leveling off. This way each pilot knows exactly what lead is doing when they're not flying on his wing and given a no-wind condition, they can do the exact same at the same time. It sets them up for the 4-plane Crossover.

LD
Great Thank you! So if I understand this right, when all 4 planes are headed outbound after the High BB, then lead says 4,3,2,1 hack and then pilots repeat 4,3,2,1 hack and roll inverted and pull. Then they repeat it and they should be pointed straight down :?: . Then they repeat it again and they should be level :?: .

Also after they break, how many G's do they pull? And what altitude is on top? At what altitude or after how many rolls does the solo stop rolling and pull towards the crowd?

Thanks alot for your answers. They are helping alot!
Just to addon to what LD said, #5 will also call an "on top" altitude after the aileron rolls and "five's clear" call when heading behind show center and clear of the runway for the diamond cross at show center. Usually I have found out I finish my rolls and find myself on top at 13-5(13,500 ft) for the high show and about 200-250 knts. Any more turns than that and I might stall out of the turnout to behind show center.

5's clear,
airchief

Post by airchief » Fri Nov 11, 2005 5:49 pm

Thanks alot for the input. Anything helps! :D

AirChief