TB Demo info

Discussions about the U.S. Air Force Air Demonstration Squadron
FSXTB#5"Dirty"

TB Demo info

Post by FSXTB#5"Dirty" » Fri May 24, 2013 2:21 pm

Hey guys, just checking in. Got some info to share with you. Some of it you may know, but just in case I just wanted to spread the wealth. This is just from emails with Blaine, so I'd thought I'd just pass it along. If it's old news I apologize.
Diamond loop on takeoff info:

"During the loop on takeoff, the formation accelerates to 230 knots with the flight path marker 4 degrees nose high at a minimum of 50% nozzle on the afterburner. During the initial 2 G pull, airspeed increases to 290-300 knots. After the nose reaches 90 degrees nose high, the leader will command deselection of AB. The diamond never reaches 4 G on the loop on takeoff, only about 2 G.
For the rolls and loops, the power is set prior to the initiation of the maneuver. During the loop, there may be a power adjustment after the on top, but the power isn't touched in the roll."

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Parameters for High Alpha...this was in response to help us fine tune our jet:

"I'm usually at 4100-4200 lbs fuel. Full aft stick gives me 25,8 degrees pitch. Most of our jets settle out at 112-114 kcas, but my primary jet will fly it at 107-110 (I can't explain why).
The digital FLCS will cause a slight oscillation in pitch. If you ever watched my Stabs closely, they're moving quite a bit even though I'm holding the stick completely still. The oscillation is because I'm I'm holding full aft on the stick, commanding a pitch up, the jet tries to pitch up, then exceeds 26 AOA and commands nose down, once the jet is below 25.5 AOA the process starts again.
Regardless of fuel load, you should always be able to maintain 25.8 AOA."

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Regarding the solo side of the Delta Burst:

"The solos roll at a medium roll rate and do a 4 g level pull for 40 degrees. As #5 approaches 40 degrees off, he call "roll out" and everyone rolls out at the same time. The important thing is for both solos to pull the same g to make it look symmetrical."
Like I said, might be nothing new. Mr. Jones has been a real help as he has been kind enough to tell me to ask him for anything we need since he has nothing but time on his hands. I'm sure he'd do the same for you guys, but if you need something, I'd be glad to ask him if that's easier. Also, we brought on Sammy Holmes as our #2 Left wing, a real life enlisted Blue Angel friend we hung out with last year. He also has connections with a few enlisted guys and pilots on the real TB's. So anything we can help with, please don't hesitate.

Cheers,

Dirty
Lawndart
Virtual Thunderbird

Post by Lawndart » Fri May 24, 2013 8:28 pm

Thanks for the post Dirty! Most of these params were already known to us, but it's always good to hear it directly from the guys and gal who currently wear the patch. Procedures change somewhat over time, they get re-written, and on top of that everyone's technique and execution varies slightly, but it's always interesting hearing it first hand - so, thank you for sharing this with all of us!
FSXTB#5"Dirty"

Post by FSXTB#5"Dirty" » Fri May 24, 2013 8:56 pm

Anytime.
Teej
Virtual Thunderbird

Post by Teej » Sat May 25, 2013 3:31 am

If you ever wanna see an extreme example of what he's talking about with the stabs moving during the high alpha...try to dig up a video of an F-117 landing sometime.

Can't find the vid I'm thinking of offhand, but it was a nearly side-on shot of the final approach and touchdown. Nose maintained a constant pitch but the elevons were flapping up and down so much it looked like they could be used for propulsion. :D