F-16E Block 60

Discussions about the U.S. Air Force Air Demonstration Squadron
TB

F-16E Block 60

Post by TB » Thu Oct 13, 2005 12:27 am

Will the real Thunderbirds be using the F-16E block 60 as their demonstration plane?
Burner
Virtual Thunderbird Alumnus

Post by Burner » Thu Oct 13, 2005 12:51 am

Very very doubtful, the Tbird F-16s are the oldest in the USAF inventory, afterall they are kept in tip top shape by the NCO personel, also the newer F-16's have avionics upgrades that a formation flying team do not need. I personally haven't clicked on the radar since I became a Virtual Tbird.
TB

Post by TB » Thu Oct 13, 2005 1:54 am

I didn't know that they flew the oldest planes in the USAF inventory. I'm curious as to whether those new conformal fuel tanks on the F-16 E/F will affect their maneuverability. :?:
STRIKER
Virtual Thunderbird Alumnus

Post by STRIKER » Thu Oct 13, 2005 5:13 am

It does effect G loads in a negative way and adds alot of wieght but gives the 16 good legs for countries that dont have A/R capabilities TB and thats why the AF doesnt have them, just the export customers such as Israel.

6 out,
Kahuna

Post by Kahuna » Thu Oct 13, 2005 4:20 pm

My understanding is that the USAF has absolutely zero plans to upgrade to the Block 60 Viper. Pretty much they intend to fly out the service life of the existing birds and have placed a lot of expectation (too much, IMHO) on the new JSF program.

BTW, the T-bird aircraft aren't the oldest in the inventory. There are still Block 25 and older A's and B's flying in ANG units and at Luke AFB. I believe that the current T-birds are Block 30 C models.
Kevin Cummins, former USAF Viper crewchief
Just when you thought it was safe to get back in th' air...

...you find out that nuthin' bites like a Viper.
Lawndart
Virtual Thunderbird

Post by Lawndart » Fri Oct 14, 2005 12:13 am

The Thunderbird jets are among the oldest in the inventory. Most are mid-late 80's models; however, with updated avionics and radars. The airframes are old, but maintained (O'boy are they ever well maintained!) and fully upgraded. Similar to an old vintage car, like your '69 Mustang. It's old, but looks and feels newer than a '05 Mustang that just rolled off the assembly line the way it's cared for by its owner. That's more or less quote on quote, the analogy made by the Tbirds during our recent visit at Nellis.

LD