Video: 1993 Official Program - Abbotsfield Intl Airshow

Discussions about the U.S. Air Force Air Demonstration Squadron
Blaze

Video: 1993 Official Program - Abbotsfield Intl Airshow

Post by Blaze » Mon Jun 06, 2011 1:48 pm

AWESOME! 8)

Design is all about finding solutions within constraints.
Lawndart
Virtual Thunderbird

Post by Lawndart » Mon Jun 06, 2011 2:46 pm

Only off the mark by nine years. (Don't pay attention to the intro screen, but the pilots names and that's unmistakably Spad's ditty). :wink:

Good find, thanks for sharing!
Blaze

Post by Blaze » Mon Jun 06, 2011 5:32 pm

Yeah thought it was mistitled, still neat though!
Lawndart
Virtual Thunderbird

Post by Lawndart » Mon Jun 06, 2011 8:22 pm

Very neat! For one Animal was flying the Left Wing! :D

This would be the first year they changed up the show this millenium (e.g. Crossover Break flown from behind instead of from in front, Delta Loop instead of cloverleaf with Blue Out etc.).

It also has the Bon Ton Roulle from left to right in the High Show (after what used to be a third Split S reposition following the Arrowhead Loop). That wasn't changed until the '09 season, and if you ask me I think it looks better when the jets roll away from the crowd. Just something about it hides any minor errors in roll initiation better than when the jets roll towards the crowd (same goes for the Blues - who still roll away).

For anyone with a keen eye, you'll also see that they (especially the first year guys) had the same challenges back then as the pilots do nowadays. In short, the team looks and flies pretty much the same way.

I do like how they kept the smoke on for the entire Delta Series. Too bad smoke oil isn't unlimited in the real world.
Blaze

Post by Blaze » Mon Jun 06, 2011 9:38 pm

Not to mention the awesome retro soundtrack in this show used from the '96-03 seasons. 8) Speaking of the Bon Ton, IIRC the Bon Ton/X-Over track in this video was only used in the 02-03 seasons...I liked the previous one better. :P
Beaker

Post by Beaker » Tue Jun 07, 2011 1:09 pm

Lawndart wrote:Just something about it hides any minor errors in roll initiation better than when the jets roll towards the crowd (same goes for the Blues - who still roll away).
I have to disagree, from a practical standpoint. One wing goes up, the other one goes down... not much difference in that regard, IMO! Left rolls are much more comfortable in the cockpit, though, at least from a control application standpoint.
Blaze

Post by Blaze » Tue Jun 07, 2011 1:13 pm

Beaker wrote:Left rolls are much more comfortable in the cockpit, though, at least from a control application standpoint.
Well they're both left rolls, just flown from the R/L. I prefer from the left as well so they roll away, looks better IMO.
Beaker

Post by Beaker » Tue Jun 07, 2011 5:50 pm

Blaze wrote:Well they're both left rolls, just flown from the R/L.
Not what I meant... but now we're violently agreeing. :wink:
Lawndart
Virtual Thunderbird

Post by Lawndart » Tue Jun 07, 2011 6:14 pm

Beaker wrote:
Lawndart wrote:Just something about it hides any minor errors in roll initiation better than when the jets roll towards the crowd (same goes for the Blues - who still roll away).
I have to disagree, from a practical standpoint. One wing goes up, the other one goes down... not much difference in that regard, IMO! Left rolls are much more comfortable in the cockpit, though, at least from a control application standpoint.
It should be the same, but it isn't. I've looked at tapes from the old way (i.e. left roll from L to R) and even when they're not synched perfectly it's much harder to catch IMHO than the other way around. I agree it shouldn't matter, but I suppose perception isn't always linear.

Unless you fly your HOTAS "fakie" style, left roll inputs are always easier for the pilot. :wink:
Blaze

Post by Blaze » Fri May 18, 2012 2:20 am

Big bump.

Re-uploaded this one, found it on my hard drive yesterday and saw it was taken down off YouTube. Some really great footage, in case anyone missed out!