USAF Thunderbirds in Quebec City 2010

Discussions about the U.S. Air Force Air Demonstration Squadron
franc01sss

USAF Thunderbirds in Quebec City 2010

Post by franc01sss » Sun Jun 06, 2010 3:39 pm

Do you know what will be their pratice schedule for this week, and also their time of arrival?

Thanks
Lawndart
Virtual Thunderbird

Post by Lawndart » Sun Jun 06, 2010 4:27 pm

No idea, but they normally arrive Thursdays and fly a full practice sometime in the afternoon on Fridays.
franc01sss

Post by franc01sss » Mon Jun 07, 2010 12:48 am

Even if there is a night show on Friday?
Thumper
Virtual Thunderbird Alumnus

Post by Thumper » Mon Jun 07, 2010 1:14 pm

They have a night show on Fridays at Nellis during Aviation Nation yet the T-Birds still practice on Friday afternoon.

You aren't thinking the Thunderbirds are flying in the night show, are you?
franc01sss

Post by franc01sss » Mon Jun 07, 2010 10:43 pm

Not a second Thumper. Only the Reds can do it. :D

Kidding!

I'll check with the airport if they can provide me a schedule for the pratice time.
franc01sss

Post by franc01sss » Wed Jun 09, 2010 4:48 pm

http://lejournaldequebec.canoe.ca/video ... 0740893001

1 of their 2 media rides for this weekend.
franc01sss

Post by franc01sss » Thu Jun 10, 2010 3:39 pm

Woah! Nice pratice today. We were surprised 2 times by their sneak pass my girlfriend and I. I love the new motor's sound.

Are they still doing their loop on takeoff because they didn't do it today.

It was fun see the diamond pratice the 4 plane cross and rejoin after 4-5 times in a row. Also at the end, only Boss was in the air still praticing while each of the 5 other planes were already on ground. I think he was trying to get the right path for the PIR. He was always coming from the same place and returning there after.

Overall I apreciated it, can't wait for tomorow's pratice. :D

(Sorry if i made mistake, I'm French speaking).
Lawndart
Virtual Thunderbird

Post by Lawndart » Thu Jun 10, 2010 3:59 pm

franc01sss wrote:Are they still doing their loop on takeoff because they didn't do it today.
Yes (in the High Show)! There are some requirements for runway, weather and crowd proximity that need to be met, but from what you told us they practiced a Low Show today which doesn't include the DLOT.

Have fun tomorrow and keep your fingers crossed for clear skies!
Last edited by Lawndart on Fri Mar 11, 2011 2:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Teej
Virtual Thunderbird

Post by Teej » Thu Jun 10, 2010 4:03 pm

What he said...plus it's flown a bit different from what you might've seen early last year...They stay in finger 4 most of the way up, transitioning to diamond over the top.
franc01sss

Post by franc01sss » Thu Jun 10, 2010 5:24 pm

It's probably some requirement that hasn't been met, because they flew their diamond cloverloop opener, the arrowhead loop, the diamond roll.
Panther
Virtual Thunderbird

Post by Panther » Thu Jun 10, 2010 6:14 pm

Runway not aligned with crowd line?

Did they land atfer arrival and then fly their practice? Normally it's a remote opener on arrival (blue-out clover loop).
Last edited by Panther on Thu Jun 10, 2010 7:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
franc01sss

Post by franc01sss » Thu Jun 10, 2010 6:37 pm

They landed upon arrival yesterday. Flew their show pratice today, it's not a remote show. But by "clover loop opener" I meant the maneuver after the take off. It was from behing the crowd.
Lawndart
Virtual Thunderbird

Post by Lawndart » Thu Jun 10, 2010 6:57 pm

franc01sss,

What Panther meant is that the Clover Opener (CO) sometimes includes the "Blue Out" (i.e. the Solos breaking away from the Diamond at the beginning of the CO). If that was the case when you saw them practice, then the Thunderbrids are treating the Quebec show site as a remote site (even though they may still takeoff from the same airport).

They could have also taken off for a Low Show and changed to a a High Show airborne during practice which would explain why the Diamond Loop on Takeoff (DLOT) wasn't flown. It could also be that the team has flown so many Low Shows recently this year (an unusually high number) that they've actually dequal'ed per the 21-day currency to fly the DLOT. This would be one maneuver they cannot regularily perform even at practice in Nevada since it would require permission from the Nellis tower to fly the DLOT upon departure to the range, hence they would need to remain current while on the road to perform this maneuver without having to go through hoops.

Based on what you wrote, I assumed they practiced the Low Show since you mentioned they didn't fly the DLOT and they also performed two sneak passes which would be indicative of a Low/Flat Show, since there's only a single sneak pass in a High Show. If the team simply practices the Echelon Pass in Review (EPIR) the Solo normally does not perform the sneak, which made me assume they practiced a Low Show. Then you mentioned they flew some looping maneuvers, so now it's anyone's guess if they changed profile in the air, or whether it's because other factors that the DLOT wasn't flown.

Bottom line is there are too many possible reasons to list here but the 2010 show still includes the DLOT under normal circumstances and weather permitting.

Enjoy!
Last edited by Lawndart on Fri Mar 11, 2011 1:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
spaz

Post by spaz » Fri Jun 11, 2010 12:20 am

Just thought I'd throw this in here, from the Thunderbirds Facebook post...

"In Quebec City, Canada -- great city, great people. We flew a great practice show here today. Started with a high show, but transitioned to the low show after some clouds came in about half way through the show. See the photo attached of Thunderbird #7, Lt Col Derek Routt, Operations Officer, watching the Diamond fly over as they close the show today. Best, TB #12"
franc01sss

Post by franc01sss » Fri Jun 11, 2010 3:37 pm

We had a high show pratice today. But no trace of the Loop on Takeoff...

They did their old takeoff, and then number 4 left the formation, checked how high the clouds were (I think) and then rejoined. Today pratice was cool because we had music and narration. I'm feeling lucky to have the chance to see 2 different Thunderbirds shows on 2 days in a row for free.

I also had the chance to be 50 feet away from the Rhino ground show routine, which is not so very special to me. By far, the loudest sound I've heard from an airplane. He also left the parking area by turning his back (and exhaust too) to us, WOAHH!!! I liked it.

The statics look kinda basic this year, no fighters on display. We're used to having some 16's, A-10's, training fighters from the USAF. Basicly, we got alot of big birds.