Comms question...

Discussions about the U.S. Air Force Air Demonstration Squadron
ggerman

Comms question...

Post by ggerman » Mon Mar 01, 2010 11:01 pm

I was watching "Reach for the Sky" again last night and during the Nellis show (in the "Special Features" section) just after the Diamond take-off, the formation does a smoke check, then Boss says " Four, Go _______ Check" and Four then breaks away from the formation... then a few seconds later, he calls "Four's OK"... Boss then says, "Cleared aboard Four" and you can see Four rejoin the formation just over Boss' shoulder and call "Four's in."

What exactly did Boss say there and what did Four do when he briefly broke away from the formation? I can't quite make out what the Boss said...

Just curious!

Thanks in advance!
Greg
Lawndart
Virtual Thunderbird

Post by Lawndart » Mon Mar 01, 2010 11:15 pm

Without giving away the answer right off the bat, here's a link to another thread in our forums basically explaining what the check is for... :wink:

"Check" this!

I could give you a more detailed answer for the reason why the Slot pilot performs this type of check (in addition to the Solos, who also perform them behind the line after taking off), but I think you'll understand from visiting the other thread.
Teej
Virtual Thunderbird

Post by Teej » Mon Mar 01, 2010 11:51 pm

Lawndart wrote:(in addition to the Solos, who also perform them...
...in theory.
Panther
Virtual Thunderbird

Post by Panther » Tue Mar 02, 2010 10:13 am

Teej wrote:
...in theory.
hehehe, gotta love having a "Joker" on the team.
Teej
Virtual Thunderbird

Post by Teej » Tue Mar 02, 2010 6:36 pm

Panther wrote:
Teej wrote:
...in theory.
hehehe, gotta love having a "Joker" on the team.
Well hey...what are the odds of someone who performed a FOD check wallpapering his canopy with cigarettes, mortgage papers, to-do lists...
ggerman

Post by ggerman » Tue Mar 02, 2010 7:00 pm

Lawndart wrote:Without giving away the answer right off the bat, here's a link to another thread in our forums basically explaining what the check is for... :wink:

"Check" this!

I could give you a more detailed answer for the reason why the Slot pilot performs this type of check (in addition to the Solos, who also perform them behind the line after taking off), but I think you'll understand from visiting the other thread.
I already knew what a FOD check is for... I just didn't know that was what the Boss was saying... he said it so fast I could make out what he was saying...