New Maneuvers for 2009

Discussions about the U.S. Air Force Air Demonstration Squadron
Lawndart
Virtual Thunderbird

Post by Lawndart » Thu Mar 05, 2009 11:47 pm

Rumor has it 2009 features not only new jets (block 52's), but a slightly new sequence to the show(s) and a few new maneuvers, or variations thereof too. Stay tuned for more! :D
Blaze

Post by Blaze » Thu Mar 05, 2009 11:51 pm

Awesome! :D Man LD MacDill's gonna be sweet!
Lawndart
Virtual Thunderbird

USAF Thunderbirds Acceptance Show 2009

Post by Lawndart » Fri Mar 13, 2009 6:39 pm

Here we go!!! 8)

Doesn't show all the new stuff, but good teaser.
Last edited by Lawndart on Sun Mar 22, 2009 6:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Panther
Virtual Thunderbird

Post by Panther » Fri Mar 13, 2009 9:32 pm

Can't wait until next week!! Taking a Long Lunch. :lol:

On second thought, I can wait until Monday. I want the weekend to go by nice and slow. :roll:
Blaze

Post by Blaze » Fri Mar 13, 2009 9:41 pm

It's showtime, and WOW! :shock: Fingertip takeoff right into a diamond burner loop! Ah man 2 more weeks, then MacDill! I'm going both days! :D
Panther wrote:I want the weekend to go by nice and slow. :roll:
Same here. :roll:
Luse

Post by Luse » Fri Mar 13, 2009 10:41 pm

I can not wait for August, gonna be a good show.
Lawndart
Virtual Thunderbird

Post by Lawndart » Fri Mar 13, 2009 11:01 pm

Blaze wrote:Fingertip takeoff right into a diamond burner loop!
Yeah, the Diamond Loop on Takeoff is quite impressive, since they barely unload between rotating and the pull into vertical! Some good thrust to weight ratio on those slick Block 52's. I'd normally be one to hope for a Low Show, but that would really blow if it happens this season.
Metro

Post by Metro » Sat Mar 14, 2009 1:01 am

Lawndart,

Are you guys practicing the new maneuvers yet? I will probably be at the MacDill show on one of the two days and my neighbor has offered to go out on his boat right off the base. Haven't decided if I will do that yet, but should be fun. Which day are you guys planning on being out there?

Metro
Lawndart
Virtual Thunderbird

Post by Lawndart » Sat Mar 14, 2009 2:32 am

Can't say we're practicing anything at all at the moment, since we're all on an extended break (forced on by real life), however, we're in the process of working out the exact parameters and have sucessfully completed the new loop (as seen in the video) with what we have to work with (in Lock On). Don't know at the moment when we'll be back to full speed, because we're also re-writing pretty much our entire SOPs again (sigh!).

For now, what happens outside of our hobby will most likely determine when we return to fly again. It's been a very rough start to 2009 for many members of the team, either at home, work and other reasons too.

As far as MacDill, I'm only able to go that Sunday and plan on doing so. :D
Metro

Post by Metro » Mon Mar 16, 2009 12:36 am

Hey Lawndart,

I guess I will see you on Sunday. Still have your cell number unless you've changed it. I will give you a ring. Talk to you about the outside stuff at the air show. Hope to see you guys there.

Metro
Rhino

Post by Rhino » Fri Mar 20, 2009 6:24 pm

Found a full show video from the Creech opener.

I like the changes they've made. Looks like you guys have some new stuff to learn! About time you guys did something different! :D
Phantoms Phorever!
Panther
Virtual Thunderbird

Post by Panther » Fri Mar 20, 2009 6:36 pm

I was just about to post this as well. I was standing right behind the camera and wondered if it was 8081rt.
Lawndart
Virtual Thunderbird

Post by Lawndart » Fri Mar 20, 2009 6:53 pm

Thanks for sharing Rhino and Panther! I like the changes too, it makes more sense profile wise. :D

Wonder why Lead turned the smoke on with the Blue Out from the Delta?
Blaze

Post by Blaze » Sat Mar 21, 2009 2:19 am

Nice video! :D The new sequence is a lot of fun to fly and a nice change of pace from the old one.

After watching it and replicating the new show sequence with Luse, it seems that with the Opposing Split-S the solos don't end up on the side of the showline they normally would after the Opposing 4-Point (right solo show left and left solo show right). Instead they end up on the same side they started on, which means they need to make a hasty sprint to the opposite sides behind the crowd for their next maneuvers!
Lawndart
Virtual Thunderbird

Post by Lawndart » Sat Mar 21, 2009 9:24 am

Blaze wrote:...seems that with the Opposing Split-S the solos don't end up on the side of the showline they normally would after the Opposing 4-Point (right solo show left and left solo show right). Instead they end up on the same side they started on, which means they need to make a hasty sprint to the opposite sides behind the crowd for their next maneuvers!
There's no basket swap. The "left solo" is to the left, and the "right solo" is to the right as they're inbound for Crossover Break now (opposite of last year's show). Using the current year as an example, the left solo or #5, will be in left line abreast and break to the right (in front of #6) before exiting to the right basket. This means "Tonka" is inbound from the right basket for the next opposing maneuver and with the Split S reversal they perform he then exits to the right basket once again, hence no basket swap needed before his High Alpha.

So in other words, the solo to the right is actually the left solo (#5), and the solo to the left is actually the right solo (#6). Next year it will be the other way around with #5 to the left and #6 to the right, but the right solo will still be the starting to the left, and the left solo will still be starting to the right! Also, this year the left solo to the right flies closest to the crowd, but next season the right solo to the left will fly closest to the crowd. How's that for confuscious?!! :shock: :lol:

On another note, all the Opposing Knife Edge Passes this year will have canopy-to-canopy hits, and the Opposing Inverted Pass will have a belly-on-belly hit as seen from the crowd. Next season (assuming the show stays the same), the Opposing Knife Edge Passes will be belly-to-belly hits with the Opposing Inverted Pass canopy-on-canopy.

Trust me, there's a method to the madness! :wink: