FIAS 2008 - Punta Gorda, FL

Discussions about the U.S. Air Force Air Demonstration Squadron
Bloke

Post by Bloke » Fri Apr 04, 2008 10:27 pm

Both LD & Burner were at Punta Gorda today... they had a little assistance *cough cough* with entry to see the practice show!

The show is looking really good!
Rock
Virtual Thunderbird Alumnus

Post by Rock » Sat Apr 05, 2008 3:08 am

Awesome Bloke! Can't wait to hear all about it and see the pics! Glad you guys were able to hook up. :)
Lawndart
Virtual Thunderbird

Post by Lawndart » Sat Apr 05, 2008 10:28 pm

Bloke wrote:Both LD & Burner were at Punta Gorda today... they had a little assistance *cough cough* with entry to see the practice show!

Met the Bloke-man yesterday and today at Punta Gorda. What else is there to say, except: "He is the man"! Thanks for everything mate, couldn't ask for better seats! I totally forgot to complete the bar-story from last nite as we were walking around, but I'll see ya next weekend Bloke! ;)

The Tbirds flew a good show. #4 looked like he overshot the High BB rejoin and the Reflection Pass had a moment of stark terror (at least visually) as #5 had some vertical movement. The practice show was a little sloppy, but the winds were hauling both days and show center being offset crowd left made everything seem asymmetrical from the audience's perspective. The winds were from behind the crowd, so every maneuver down the line had fairly significant corrections inbound and/or started on an angle.

"Hollywood-esque" -timing seems to have been passed on to Charger. Big Thumbs Up! :D
Metro

Post by Metro » Sat Apr 05, 2008 11:27 pm

LD/Burner,

Nice to meet you guys at the airshow today. It is pretty cool to see the faces and meet the pilots of the VTB's. Sorry, could not talk more. Didn't want the wife think I stranded her but I assure you I will be in touch "picking your brains" to learn more about the "virtual aviation world". Very facinating.

Boy that was a tough show for the Thunderbirds. The winds were not very forgiving. My sons were going crazy over the show. And guess what they wanted to do when we got home. Watch your video. They can't get enough! Future VTB's in the making! :D

Metro
Lawndart
Virtual Thunderbird

Post by Lawndart » Sun Apr 06, 2008 12:13 am

That's awesome...

I actually thought that leaving the show, about your son probably not wanting to go to bed without watching "Smoke On" one more time! :lol:

Great meeting you there Metro! We'll definitely stay in touch! 8)
Bloke

Post by Bloke » Sun Apr 06, 2008 2:25 am

Lawndart wrote:
Bloke wrote:Both LD & Burner were at Punta Gorda today... they had a little assistance *cough cough* with entry to see the practice show!

Met the Bloke-man yesterday and today at Punta Gorda. What else is there to say, except: "He is the man"! Thanks for everything mate, couldn't ask for better seats! I totally forgot to complete the bar-story from last nite as we were walking around, but I'll see ya next weekend Bloke! ;)
What good are friends if they can't hook you up?

Show center is not a bad spot to watch the show huh!? :wink:

Catch you at Sun'N'Fun...
Burner

Post by Burner » Sun Apr 06, 2008 4:17 pm

Thanks a bunch Bloke, what a great weekend!

See you at Sun & Fun
Bloke

Post by Bloke » Sun Apr 06, 2008 11:31 pm

Burner wrote:Thanks a bunch Bloke, what a great weekend!

See you at Sun & Fun
No problem,

Please make checks out to the following address...
Totally KIDDING... it was great to meet with you guys!

Glad I could help with you getting the photos you needed!... If you don't ask you'll never know!

See you in Lakeland!
Lawndart
Virtual Thunderbird

Post by Lawndart » Wed Apr 09, 2008 4:52 pm

Thunderbird Friday practice.

Saturday air show.

F-15 West Coast demo team with "Nuke" in the background.

"Nuke" just sucked the gear up, seen in full blowers down the runway here.

EOR checks, element line-up in Echelon or Double Up?

Two double bubbles. Sort of unusual for both #1 and #4 to fly the "family model".

Probably the best shot I got with my little point and shoot camera.

Whifferdill (Split S) back for the Bomb Burst. Winds aloft making the smoke drift.

The "man" himself and the two air show groupies. Thanks again Bloke!
Burner

Post by Burner » Wed Apr 09, 2008 5:46 pm

Nice shots LD

Great day for an airshow.

8)
Rock

Post by Rock » Wed Apr 09, 2008 6:05 pm

Nice Pics LD! Looks like a great time. Looking forward to seeing some more from next weekend. :)
Ells

Post by Ells » Thu Apr 10, 2008 9:15 am

Excellents shots LD
franc01sss

Post by franc01sss » Thu Apr 10, 2008 11:42 am

Maybe my question has already been asked somewhere else on this forum, but how many 2 seaters do the Thunderbirds have? Do they always bring all those with them for their show.

Secondly, do the Thunderbirds own a C-130 or another cargo plane like the Blue Angels for their equipment?
Convertible

Post by Convertible » Thu Apr 10, 2008 12:22 pm

Bloke,

It's nice to finally put a face with the voice I have spoken with on the phone. ha ha. Looks like you guys had a great time. Great pictures too!!!

Con
Lawndart
Virtual Thunderbird

Post by Lawndart » Thu Apr 10, 2008 4:34 pm

franc01sss wrote:Maybe my question has already been asked somewhere else on this forum, but how many 2 seaters do the Thunderbirds have? Do they always bring all those with them for their show.
I believe they have 3 or 4 D-models and 7 or 8 C-models (11 aircraft total). #8 and #7 typically fly in the D-models, so when they are on the road these aircraft serve as spare aircraft and/or maint. replacements. If they are deploying closer to home base (Nellis AFB in Las Vegas, NV), the lineup might be slightly different, but for most east coast trips I'd assume they take 2 D-models and 6 C-models with them from home...
franc01sss wrote:Secondly, do the Thunderbirds own a C-130 or another cargo plane like the Blue Angels for their equipment?
The Thunderbirds do not have a dedicated support aircraft, but typically use a C-141 or C-17 assigned with flight crew under the (temporary) callsign "Thunderbird 14" when travelling.