Best minature model of a Block 32 F-16

Discussions about the U.S. Air Force Air Demonstration Squadron
takeone

Best minature model of a Block 32 F-16

Post by takeone » Wed Feb 06, 2008 10:15 pm

Okay...so it only took me a year to finish this...but it's done...ALMOST !
Tamiya has a 1/32 scale model of our beloved F-16 Block 32 Viper. It truly is the most amazingly detailed model I have ever worked on.

I used to do models as a kid...and a fair job...but my wife bought this for me for Christmas in '06 and I just finished it. Also...I only worked on it every now and then...when I had time. The kit runs about $170.00 and comes with all the decals...down to the helmet and even decals in the cockpit.

Painting has to be done...and with care...then weathering and a gloss coat and final finishing. I'm going to repaint the gloves the correct color (something I missed over my 14 months of doing this)..and also add some personal "painting on them" to really make it look cool. Think I'll add a small flag beside the HUD for some more realism.

Anyhow....though everyone might like seeing this...I think it beats a wooden model any day...I love wooden models !!!

Enjoy !! (BTW...figures...just get this done and they get the Block 52's !)

Image[/img]
Lawndart
Virtual Thunderbird

Post by Lawndart » Wed Feb 06, 2008 10:26 pm

Takeone, that's amazing!!! Hats off to a great and impressive job done! :D

P.S. I'm sure Burner and/or Gunner may be very interested in seeing more of your model...
takeone

Post by takeone » Wed Feb 06, 2008 10:38 pm

Wow...that was quick...didn't think people were up....

Well..thanks....I enjoyed it. Took my mind of the daily grind of work every now and then.

These aren't GREAT photos....but they're okay...just took them for you guys ! :) Only ones I know who could appreciate the true detail in this model kit. Even the decals were amazing...cockpit decals had labels on them...it's absolutely crazy !
FALCON56

Post by FALCON56 » Wed Feb 06, 2008 11:22 pm

ITs an awsome kit!!! I bought 4 of them.. The Thunderbird ones.. ive got a bout 7 regular Tamiya 1/32 scale f-16CJs and 8 of the Academy 1/32 scale f-16s... ive built one thunderbird.. I had problems with the decals... They cracked on me... But overall a great kit to build...Now tamiya has made a 1/48 scale version of the F-16CJ... I bought a few.. Cough Cough 7.. LOL..They have GREAt detail as well, just smaller...Rumor has it Tamiya is suppsed to make a 1/48 scale Thunderbird... Now thats gonna be nice...Anywho.. Great kits.. Awsome job on yours Takeone!!!
takeone

Post by takeone » Wed Feb 06, 2008 11:41 pm

Falcon 56...
I too had problems with the decals....the first one's I put on cracked...and got yellow...over 3 days ! Call the company...sent them the old decals...and they sent me new ones in a few weeks.

Thanks for the compliments !
Atlas

Post by Atlas » Thu Feb 07, 2008 12:18 am

That looks great Takeone. Making me want to put in my order for one. :lol:
Ells

Post by Ells » Thu Feb 07, 2008 3:59 am

Looking great bud, good job!!
Gunner
Virtual Thunderbird

Post by Gunner » Thu Feb 07, 2008 8:37 am

Takeone, I'm speechless!Image
I have never seen anyone turn that model into such a work of art!
FALCON56

Post by FALCON56 » Thu Feb 07, 2008 3:06 pm

Takeone,

Never thought of that.. Wish I had before I finished the kit. lOL.. Well i guess i ahve 4 more chances to get it rightLOL....Hey what did you uses to get all the detail in the panels??? Ive tried Tempera paint that was thinned out but it didnt seem to want to stick....Great Job once again..

Falcon56
Rock
Virtual Thunderbird Alumnus

Post by Rock » Thu Feb 07, 2008 5:31 pm

That is impressive. :shock: Nice work and congrats on finishing your model. It looks so much better than the cheap $20 plastic model that I have :D
takeone

Post by takeone » Thu Feb 07, 2008 11:13 pm

Thanks everyone for the compliments ! Really. Wish I had to the time to make a bunch of them...I'd sell them to ya !!! :) at a marked up price...but with a Thunderbird discount !! ;)

Falcon 56....I been using this box of crayon/graphic sticks since I was 12 or so. I don't even know the name...because the labels have peeled off. But I'm sure you can get them in an art store. They are square. Basically...it's just that....a graphic-waxy crayon. You rub it over the entire surface and it digs into the little rivet holes...then...you lightly blow and rub off the excess. Some holes will get darker than others....but that's okay. Gives it the real "weathered" look you want. I almost didn't do it...because it had been awhile since I was only "feet" away from a Thunderbird for close inspection. At Aviation Nation this year....I forgot you could see all the panels...it wasn't just PERFECT-SOLID white ! So...that's what I did to get all the panel detail. Of course a good decal "set" liquid and some airbrushing can do wonders !!!
FALCON56

Post by FALCON56 » Fri Feb 08, 2008 3:49 pm

Takeone,

Cool thanks for the info. Im gonna give that a try. Using the tempera paint thinned out led to a lot of stains on the paint job itself. Ill definately check out an art supply store...

Falcon56
Burner
Virtual Thunderbird Alumnus

Post by Burner » Fri Feb 08, 2008 4:11 pm

Love the cockpit detail. One question do the rivet lines come as part of the body mold. The closeup shots make it look like the rivet indentions and panel lines are really there and not just paint.
takeone

Post by takeone » Fri Feb 08, 2008 6:08 pm

Yes...the rivets and lines are PART of the mold.