Have seen my first Tbird show

Discussions about the U.S. Air Force Air Demonstration Squadron
Rage

Have seen my first Tbird show

Post by Rage » Tue Oct 02, 2007 1:10 am

My dad knows how much I look up to the Tbirds, and I currently reside in Roswell, NM. So El Paso, TX is about a 4 hours from from here.

I saw the Tbirds on September 23 & 24, and I must say, man, best two days of my life.

I am currently 14, just barely started highschool, but am in the civil air patrol, learning everything I can about flying, and am taking high school seriously enough so that I may graduate in the top 20%, and join the Academy. 8)

Anyhow, I used to live on the Big Island in Hawaii till I was 14, there are no AFB's or Navy Bases there, so I hadn't even seen a jet in real life till I was about 12, saw one in Albuquerque Intl. Go figure, it was the F16, my favorite jet :)
I've always loved avation, but the Air force and jets have always had a place in my heart, and the F16 is my personal favorite. The Tbirds represent the best of the best, and I look up to them.

I finally got to see them perform live, and the #3 spot, Right wing, is my beloved. I had the absolute pleasure of seeing Maj. Nicole Malachowski, the very first woman Tbird, to perform live, along with Kevin, Chris, Scott, Ed, and Samantha.

I got many great pictures, and got the entire diamond pilots to sign a poster, which is framed, and is NOT getting taken off this wall until I join the Academy! (any one who touches it DIES! :lol: )

After I've seen them fly live, I now have a new appreciation of how accurate you guys mimic them. I never really compared the routine of the real Tbirds to yours, but I just finished watching the Smoke On video, and I say again, truly amazing at how well you mimic them. You are all fantastic, look forward to seeing you all in VAFT 07.

Yours truly, Trent "Rage" Wohlfeil. 8)
Credit to Sabor.
Ells

Post by Ells » Tue Oct 02, 2007 4:12 am

Wow, some great words written here, my hat is off to you Rage.
Burner
Virtual Thunderbird Alumnus

Post by Burner » Tue Oct 02, 2007 10:05 am

Well said Rage, its nice to see someone else catch the military aviation bug. I was about your age when I read Bogeys and Bandits by Robert Gandt and really caught the flying bug.

Good Luck with your endevour, we'll be expecting to hear from you in 2011 when you are accepted to the academy :D
Atlas

Post by Atlas » Tue Oct 02, 2007 10:27 am

In the words of Kojack, "Aim for the stars, and if you fall short, you fall short, but work really hard towards your goals and your dreams." Glad to here that you had a good time seeing the Thunderbirds for the first time. Its always a good time whenever you can go out watch and listen to the sounds of freedom. :wink: :D
FutureThunderbird

Post by FutureThunderbird » Tue Oct 02, 2007 8:20 pm

Hey Rage it is a real pleasure to hear your story. I too am 14; I live in Fargo, North Dakota and am also just starting high school. I’m currently in my first year of AFJROTC and am having a blast. I’m planning on going to the academy and pray every day that I am doing good enough to get there. It’s really sweet to see other people my age have the same dreams as me and it sounds like you do. Anyways, glad you had fun seeing the birds as they really are the best of the best, and I’ll be seeing you at the academy in 2011. (hopefully...lol)
Rage

Post by Rage » Tue Oct 02, 2007 8:32 pm

Thank you Ells, Gunner, and ST.

FutureTB, very good to hear man, there are no AFJROTC schools around here, sadly. I'm making up for it by learning alot of things on my personal time, and being in the CAP.

Good luck to you, we shall decimate all in the Academy. 8)
Credit to Sabor.
BonJobie
Virtual Thunderbird Alumnus

Post by BonJobie » Wed Oct 03, 2007 2:29 am

Trent, great words and I am glad that you finally got to see the Team that represents our US Air Force. Thanks for your kind words regarding our movie. We are very, very proud of that effort. The above responses have been good counsel to you....follow your dream. If you want to go to the USAFA then now is the time to make it happen. You are not that far away. Grades, grades and more good grades plus Athletics and leadership involvement in school will be things that your congressman will look at to consider you for an appointment.

I remember the very first time I saw the Thunderbirds (and I saw them often growing up at Nellis AFB) and something went "Ding" and I knew right then and there that I wanted to fly something that made a lot of noise and went fast. Now 24 years after my first solo flight I cannot imagine doing anything else. It's a great living flying an airplane, but it takes a lot of hard work and "paying your dues" to get other people to pay YOU to fly their jets....whether that be the US military or commercial aviation. Keep up your great attitude and stay in touch.

Regards,

Bon