GML 2007

Discussions about the U.S. Air Force Air Demonstration Squadron
Rhino

GML 2007

Post by Rhino » Fri Sep 28, 2007 10:32 pm

The Gathering of Mustangs and Legends is happening this weekend in Columbus, Ohio, featuring over 80 P-51 Mustangs in attendance, including the Thunderbirds, F-22, and some other Air Force aircraft. Here is a sampling from today.

Image Image

Image Image

Here's a couple of cool ones. Thats a C-130 leading 3 Mustangs and the Thunderbirds for a photo flight at about 9'000 ft.

And here is "Pinto" right over the big board.

Phantoms Phorever!
Thumper
Virtual Thunderbird Alumnus

Post by Thumper » Fri Sep 28, 2007 11:47 pm

Awesome pictures Rhino. I wish I could be there for that Airshow. You must be having a blast.
Atlas

Post by Atlas » Sat Sep 29, 2007 2:00 am

Nice pictures Rhino. Looking forward to seeing more of them. :D
franc01sss

Post by franc01sss » Sat Sep 29, 2007 2:16 am

Does the Thunderbirds have always a big board with the direct picture from cockpit ?

and are they changing plane sometime, or view, or split the screen to have more than 1 plane

thx
Rhino

Post by Rhino » Sun Sep 30, 2007 8:26 pm

franc01sss wrote:Does the Thunderbirds have always a big board with the direct picture from cockpit ?

and are they changing plane sometime, or view, or split the screen to have more than 1 plane

thx
It is "recommended" by the Thunderbirds in their support manual that shows, if they have the budget to, have jumbotrons available. All of the jets have cockpit-cams on them, and they had a production truck behind the crowd to do the production. They had 2 screens at this show, one at each end. This was, however, a VERY big show so with the exception of Nellis, I doubt you will see this very often. This was probably the greatest airshow ever in the world, even though the Blues weren't there. I'm not even kidding.
Phantoms Phorever!
Atlas

Post by Atlas » Sun Sep 30, 2007 9:22 pm

I believe they had one out here at Luke AFB when they were here for the first show of the year. Correct if I am wrong, Bon, Gunner, or Convertible since I believe you were all there. :D
Convertible

Post by Convertible » Mon Oct 01, 2007 1:30 am

There was no jumbotron at Luke this year from my recollection. It would have been a nice touch though.

Rhino, nice shots. Being a huge fan of the P-51 I was so sad that I could not be to this airshow. What a neat thing to be able to see all those beautiful mustangs either in the air or on the ground. I am sure the T-birds capped it off very well too. :lol: :lol: What a show it would have been. Lucky you.

Con
Rhino

Post by Rhino » Tue Oct 02, 2007 8:52 pm

Here is video I took (or my dad took, I can't remember) of the "51" roaring over the crowd.

http://www.airshowbuzz.com/videos/view.php?v=8cb83f67
Phantoms Phorever!
Rhino

Post by Rhino » Tue Oct 02, 2007 10:41 pm

Some more for your viewing pleasure....

Viper East Demo

T-Birds

Image Image

New Break For Landing "Delta left pitch with the blue out.."

Phantoms Phorever!
Lawndart
Virtual Thunderbird

Post by Lawndart » Wed Oct 03, 2007 12:17 am

You've quickly become quite the air show photographer Rhino! Great shots! You can really tell the minute difference in positioning by No. 4 in that Arrowhead Loop pic. Where were you standing for that shot Rhino? (Couldn't tell if it was as they're going vertical or during the float of the loop... although the backdrop makes me want to say float).

Here are some airborne pix from over @ ASB taken by Erik Hildebrandt.

Burner

Post by Burner » Wed Oct 03, 2007 12:21 am

I'd like this pic in higher res for my desktop ;)

The new Delta pitch is a great addition to the show.
Last edited by Burner on Wed Oct 03, 2007 12:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rhino

Post by Rhino » Wed Oct 03, 2007 12:24 am

Lawndart wrote:Where were you standing for that shot Rhino?
Show right, just about smack dab inbetween the show center trailer and the BB Cross Trailer
Lawndart wrote: Here are some airborne pix from over @ ASB taken by Erik Hildebrandt.
You wouldn't believe the griping and complaining that was going on during this one......
Phantoms Phorever!
Lawndart
Virtual Thunderbird

Post by Lawndart » Wed Oct 03, 2007 12:28 am

Burner wrote:I'd like this pic in higher res for my desktop ;)
I suppose you could ask Erik, the author @ www.airshowbuzz.com!

EDIT: Nvm, I already did. It is a beautiful shot!
Rhino wrote:You wouldn't believe the griping and complaining that was going on during this one......
Care to elaborate more on this one?! :? You mean radio chatter, right?
Rhino

Post by Rhino » Wed Oct 03, 2007 11:12 am

Lawndart wrote:Care to elaborate more on this one?! :? You mean radio chatter, right?
Yea there were some things that Hollywood wasn't liking. They had to do those shots at 200 knots if I remember correctly because of the Mustangs. The C-130 was putting out a bunch of prop wash which was moving the mustangs around a lot.

That new landing sequence is similar to something the Blues used to do in the late 80s and early 90s. If you watch the old "Around the World at the Speed of Sound" documentary, they do it in there. Still investigating what exactly the Blues did, but the Thunderbirds did it where 5 comes back down the line inverted and then pitches, then 6 comes by and does an I-to-I and then pitches.
Phantoms Phorever!
Rage

Post by Rage » Sat Oct 06, 2007 10:45 pm

All my photos have been topped :oops:

Those are some utterly fantastic shots Rhino, bravo. Fantastic airshow at that..have all them Mustangs, Tbirds, AND an F/A22? :o

Agreed Burner, my current one is of a Tbirds delta loop, but that one..with the clouds in the background, perfect sun positioning.. i don't want that, I NEED that! 8)

Thanks for sharing Rhino.
Credit to Sabor.