Female Thunderbird pilot next season!

Discussions about the U.S. Air Force Air Demonstration Squadron
Lawndart
Virtual Thunderbird

Female Thunderbird pilot next season!

Post by Lawndart » Tue Jun 21, 2005 5:15 am

In case you haven't heard yet, the Thunderbirds will be the first high performance jet team to have a female pilot flying next season. Word has it she did real well during the tryouts and it should be interesting to follow. This should definitely give the Air Force more publicity!

Here's the article:
Air Force Times article
lieutfunaki

Post by lieutfunaki » Tue Jun 21, 2005 8:42 pm

Well, she definitely has a lot of stress to deal with, not only as a team member, but as a poster child representing women in the airforce. I have no doubt she can handle it though, and look forward to seeing her fly on the circuit. Huge props to her though, what an honor!
With a name like Smucker's, it has to be good.®

Athlon 64 3200+, 3 GB DDR 400, GeForce 7600GS 512MB, 21" monitor
TBT_Piper

Post by TBT_Piper » Tue Jun 21, 2005 8:52 pm

Hate to be negative but what if the Danica Patrick happens to her in the Thunderbirds? Let's just hope that doesn't happen.
Cobra
Virtual Thunderbird Alumnus

Post by Cobra » Wed Jun 22, 2005 11:49 pm

Plenty of male demonstration pilots have had accidents. It hasn't stopped males getting being picked for these teams.

Female pilots are a non-issue these days... you can either do it or you can't... gender is irrelevant.
Lawndart
Virtual Thunderbird

Post by Lawndart » Thu Jun 23, 2005 3:18 am

TBT_Piper wrote:Hate to be negative but what if the Danica Patrick happens to her in the Thunderbirds? Let's just hope that doesn't happen.
Did something bad happen to Danica Patrick? Aside from publicity, photo shoots and what else not, I didn't hear anything... :?:
Last edited by Lawndart on Fri Jun 24, 2005 1:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Burner

Post by Burner » Thu Jun 23, 2005 7:16 am

Danica crashed in the Indy 500, not that you'd know it from the publicity. According to them she cured cancer- twice. If this were in the Rdy Room I'd post my opinion on the first female Tbird. But I'll keep quiet in this public forum.
TBT_Piper

Post by TBT_Piper » Thu Jun 23, 2005 6:34 pm

She crashed twice. Also she got alot of hype from the media and then did not get on the podium. A big let down is what I am talking about. The new Female for the Thunderbirds is just hype for now but will die down very shortly.
lieutfunaki

Post by lieutfunaki » Thu Jun 23, 2005 7:51 pm

Burner wrote:Danica crashed in the Indy 500, not that you'd know it from the publicity. According to them she cured cancer- twice. If this were in the Rdy Room I'd post my opinion on the first female Tbird. But I'll keep quiet in this public forum.
Men crash too. I think if we can be reasonable and non-sexist about this there is no reason not to have it be public. I assume LD mentioned it because it is monumental and worthy of attention.

Well I for one am excited about this. If the gal can fly, which I'm told she can, then she deserved the position and I've gotta give her props on it. I'll bet money that if any of you go to the show next season, you won't be able to pick out a single difference between the visible manifestation of her skills as a pilot and no 2's. She'll put on a darn good show. Congrats to her, and to the T-birds for this one.

If something happens...and I pray it doesn't...it won't be a reflection on women in the military, women as pilots, or even Capt. Nicole Malachowski and her abilities...we all know that when we leave the tarmac we risk a certain amount of safety and we can hardly point fingers at those who fall victim to the great blue yonder's fury at our arrogance to attempt its shackling. I respect her as a pilot, as a woman willing to take on the stresses of undergoing the kind of scrutiny she already has in addition to those associated with just being on the team. As a future USAF Officer, I'm glad she's there.

As for the women in the military thing...I've had my little sexist hissy fits about it in the past (though normally mainly about ground forces)... and still think that it has its difficulties. But a good friend of mine just got back from a tour as a marine in Iraq...and the stories he'll tell of men crouching in the fetal position as the only woman in the squad is also the only Marine still up on one knee sighting in the enemy and taking them out one at a time make me ashamed of some of the things I've said. The truth is that those who wear the uniform deserve respect, and with all the extra gender flack that women get in the military I think I am even more inclined to grant it to them.

I don't really care about Danica.... :lol:
Last edited by lieutfunaki on Fri Jun 24, 2005 3:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

BonJobie

Post by BonJobie » Thu Jun 23, 2005 10:50 pm

Guys (And Girls!) Just a thought: I certainly appreciate the banter regarding Capt Malachowski's selection to the team; however, I think it is time to put it to bed at least on this forum. Although we are not officially sanctioned by the USAF Thunderbirds we unofficially represent them and therefore support all selections to the team. We are all entitled to our opinion but I think any further exchanges on this subject would be better handled via email, MSN, etc. Just a thought.

Bon
Convertible

Post by Convertible » Thu Jun 23, 2005 11:09 pm

I could not have said it better myself. Thanks Bon!!!!!!! :D
lieutfunaki

Post by lieutfunaki » Fri Jun 24, 2005 3:48 am

Point taken Bon.

"Two, knockin off"

Lawndart
Virtual Thunderbird

Post by Lawndart » Sun Jun 26, 2005 2:36 am

BonJobie wrote:Guys (And Girls!) Just a thought: I certainly appreciate the banter regarding Capt Malachowski's selection to the team; however, I think it is time to put it to bed at least on this forum. Although we are not officially sanctioned by the USAF Thunderbirds we unofficially represent them and therefore support all selections to the team. We are all entitled to our opinion but I think any further exchanges on this subject would be better handled via email, MSN, etc. Just a thought.

Bon
True that! I for one think it's cool that she made the team and I'm sure anyone who attends an airshow next season won't know the difference unless they are aware who flies on the team. She was selected soley based on her performance and conduct with the other tryouts most definitely, but I too will put this subject to rest now since it's clearly a hot debate and we don't want to feed any fuel to this fire...

Good luck to Kevin, Rusty, Nicole, Steve, Brian and Ed next season!

LawnDart