#6 Bird Strike in Sacramento

Discussions about the U.S. Air Force Air Demonstration Squadron
FutureThunderbird

#6 Bird Strike in Sacramento

Post by FutureThunderbird » Sun Jun 10, 2007 9:37 pm

Maj Weeks had a bird strike on Saturday. I wasn't there but apparently it hit her canopy during her 4 consecutive aileron rolls. then she landed, switched to the #7 aircraft and the show went on.

Just thought I'd let you all know since it's their second this season.
Atlas

Post by Atlas » Mon Jun 11, 2007 3:00 am

"Thunderbird #6 took a bird strike on the canopy and while it appears that there was no significant damage to the jet, the procedure is to land and switch out jets. I'm only guessing, but even if it had been determined, while still in the air, that there was no damage to the jet, the remains of the jet on the canopy are enough of a hindrance to visibility that there would be no way to continue in that airplane.

The #4 jet was a -D model today because of some maintenance issues. Because the solo jets use more fuel than the diamond jets, they want to have a single seat spare for an event like today's.

Everyone is well - the entire team DID attend the dinner at the airport and Samantha was in good spirits.

Kudos go to TC - Major Tad Clark, for telling us what actualy happened when the demo was stopped. I believe that kind of honesty engages the crowd and gives them understanding of the nature of the delay. No frustration for the crowd. I believe also that it makes the crowd appreciate the work the team does to keep things safe yet keep the show going."

Found that posted over at airshowbuzz.com it was posted by Rob Reider.
necigrad

Post by necigrad » Wed Jun 13, 2007 12:46 pm

I don't think I've ever seen a bird strike that didn't leave remains smeared on the airframe. I guess if it was a glancing blow it might not leave anything, but then you wouldn't know it hit. Wouldn't she have just gone "Damn that was close" and moved on were that the case?
Atlas

Post by Atlas » Wed Jun 13, 2007 5:49 pm

I believe the policy is if they hit or think they hit a bird they are to land and switch jets and then continue just to be safe for themselves, the team, and the spectators.