Thunderbird Comms - Talking

Discussions about the U.S. Air Force Air Demonstration Squadron
[SH]Falcon

Thunderbird Comms - Talking

Post by [SH]Falcon » Wed May 09, 2007 9:57 am

Hi,

I listened on the following youtube.com link, that at the beginning, at 1 minute and 25 seconds, they were talkings between 2 Thunderbirds(flight team, i guess).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T-5vmGU4-eY

I dont understand every word but could someone post this talking here? :roll: Im interested, what they were talking about and what kind of work is on background during a flightshow. 8) :mrgreen:

What i hear the first time: "3500 brocken, 7000 brocken." What means that? :roll:

Greetings and thanks. 8)
Rhino

Post by Rhino » Wed May 09, 2007 10:38 am

That was "Thunderbird Control" getting a gouge on what the cloud deck is, so they can figure out if they are going to fly the high or low or flat show. I think the weather cleared up a bit more as they taxied out and they were able to fly the high show both days.
Phantoms Phorever!
[SH]Falcon

Post by [SH]Falcon » Wed May 09, 2007 10:43 am

Rhino wrote:That was "Thunderbird Control" getting a gouge on what the cloud deck is, so they can figure out if they are going to fly the high or low or flat show. I think the weather cleared up a bit more as they taxied out and they were able to fly the high show both days.

Ah ok but i missed the 5-Card Loop and HBB. They changed their show during the show? I mean, they flew the 8 point roll 2 times and i saw the trail banana in background. :mrgreen:

The air demonstration(same show):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dJb0mMIcibo
Rhino

Post by Rhino » Wed May 09, 2007 11:44 am

[SH]Falcon wrote: They changed their show during the show?
Yup. They train for this to happen, at any given point in the show, same with the Blues.

It does look however that they got their timing severely messed up at that point. Look how "Pinto" had to abort his Half cuban, because the Diamond and "Combo" were on top of him for the Trail-Banana.
Phantoms Phorever!
Lawndart
Virtual Thunderbird

Post by Lawndart » Wed May 09, 2007 4:19 pm

A ceiling is the lowest cloud layer either classified as broken (5/8 cloud coverage or more) or overcast (8/8 coverage). Broken @ 3,500 and 7,000 means Langley tower observed layers (bases) of this coverage at those altitudes. Just as Rhino pointed out, Thunderbird Control (#7, #11 and supporting staff at the comm cart) was talking to Langley Tower for this info.

Right before the Hi-Lo Hit they changed to a Low Show profile which is why the Five Card was never flown. Notice how the Hi-Lo Hit became the Hi-Lo Hit with a Left Turnout, then you can hear each Thunderbird acknowledge; "Low Show, Low Show 2, 3, 4, 5, 6".

#7 will talk to the Boss during the show and keep him advised of any safety concerns, weather as well as real-time feedback on hits and timing. He also records notes for the debrief, including grades on narration and timing with the music in addition to the flying itself which is obviously much more comprehensive.

The Thunderbirds practice three show profiles. The High-, Low-, and Flat Show (all based on the High Show) and each pilot knows exactly backwards and forwards where to pick up a profile when the weather dictates a change from the High Show. Also, should one Solo be missing, there's a 5-Ship show profile for the remaining Solo and typically if the Diamond is missing a pilot, the Solo on that wing will take the spot during the Delta with the other Solo completing a Stinger formation instead. Unlike the Blue Angels, however, the Thunderbirds do not move their Slot pilot out on the wing to fly a three ship Wedge. When the left or right wingman is missing, the position is emtpy... a.k.a. the "Dorrito" formation.

Hope that helps shed more light on the complexity of their show somewhat! :wink:
Last edited by Lawndart on Wed May 09, 2007 4:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[SH]Falcon

Post by [SH]Falcon » Wed May 09, 2007 4:26 pm

That i call flexibility. :lol:

Rhino and LawnDart, thanks for the answers. :) 8)