Cloverloop

Discussions about the U.S. Air Force Air Demonstration Squadron
Bruin85

Cloverloop

Post by Bruin85 » Tue Feb 27, 2007 7:04 am

I've always been curious to find out how the cloverloop is flown, could you guys help me out?
BonJobie
Virtual Thunderbird Alumnus

Post by BonJobie » Tue Feb 27, 2007 7:38 pm

I will describe the maneuver from the vantage point of our team (using Lock On) with the real Thunderbird parameters in parentheses.

The Cloverloop is a variation of the "Cloverleaf" which all student pilots in US Air Force Undergradutate Pilot Training fly. The Cloverloop starts for us anywhere from 390KIAS to 430KIAS (420-450), preferred around 410 KIAS with a smooth pull to 2.7 G's indicated (real life= 4 G's). Continue backstick pressure until just past the 90 degree point then smoothly release backstick pressure (slight unload) to shape the top of the loop symmetrically. This is called "the float". A slight power reduction of about 3%, then smoothly increase the backstick pressure as you call "back in with the pull" As the nose approaches 45 degrees nose low begin a smooth--not slow, but smooth left rolling turn to return to wings level nose down with speed increasing. Smoothly increase the backstick pressure to return to level flight close to the altitude you began the maneuver at. That's about it. I would also recommend that you get your hands on any of the real Thunderbird videos where you can hear the comms with the maneuvers, like Reach for the Sky. Good luck!

Bon